Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Communications Director for the Belize Police Department, ASP Fitzroy Yearwood, gave brief comments this morning on a video that went viral over the weekend. It captured a uniformed police officer on San Pedro assaulting a man. According to Yearwood, while a formal report has not been made by the victim, he did see the video and claims that it is being dealt with.

ASP Fitzroy Yearwood, Communications Director, Belize Police Department

"Like I always say to you, we need a virtual complainant for me to have an official report. Yes I was privy to see the video, but we would want to encourage the victim to come and visit the professional standard branch and make a formal complaint and then I will be able to further comment on that."

Reporter

"Is it damning to see that this police officer just walked up to the gentleman and proceed to punch him?"

ASP Fitzroy Yearwood

"That is more than damning and we at the department don't just turn a blind eye to that type of behaviour, but it would be even better if we have an actual complainant. I am not saying that we would not sanction that officer, but we would want better result for that person that suffered that form of abuse publicly, especially caught on camera. And we want to explain to the public that we do not tolerate abuse by police officers. I know that you have seen in the past where police have been charged, have been dealt with, some have been dismissed for that kind of behaviour. Like I said, we will not ignore the fact; we have contacted the officer commanding already and we will deal with that officer internally."

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

San Pedro man assaulted by police officer advised by SPPD to file a complaint

Police say the man who was assaulted by a uniformed police officer in San Pedro Town should make a formal complaint. The video was posted on Facebook over the weekend and quickly gained traction. Police said they do not tolerate abuse by police officers, and the situation involving this officer will be dealt with internally.

On Monday, February 7th, the Communications Director for the Belize Police Department in Belize City, Assistant Superintendent Fitzroy Yearwood briefly commented on the incident. "We would like to encourage the victim to come and visit the Professional Standard Branch and make a formal complaint," Yearwood told reporters. He said he was privy to the video showing the police officer punching a man sitting on the steps of a house. Another officer in camouflaged uniform standing behind him intervened so the situation would not escalate. The aggressor was pushed away from the victim by his fellow officer, who then walks off the property. All this time, a witness was videotaping the incident.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.