Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55553 08/01/02 08:57 AM
S
OP Offline
S
The answers I have been receiving to my previous posts have been extremely helpful and I'm getting close to pitching AC to a group of friends for next year's spring vacation. Can someone give me an idea on a typical daily budget that could be expected. Typically, we rent a place with a full kitchen and buy groceries/beverages for breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc... and go out for the evening for a good dinner and drinks. I've seen many posts on prices for trips, cart rentals, lodging so I am comfortable I have a handle on that. Are groceries, beer, alcohol prices comparable to the states. About how much would you recommend budgeting for our daily fun?
Thanks again.

#55554 08/01/02 09:10 AM
Groceries seemed much higher than in the states But like my wife says "It's all half price"...... It's very hard to give a price because you can eat cheap from street vendors or splurge at some restaurants.....Part of the fun in AC was deciding which place to eat next....You have sooo many choices & most of them are great....Not much help on your Question tho, am I?????? John

John
#55555 08/01/02 09:15 AM
Here are some weekly budgets I include in my guidebook to the island, San Pedro Cool, for budget, moderate and luxury levels. Of course, these are averages and your mileage may vary.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists

>>
Overall, excluding airfare, a vacation in San Pedro costs about the same as a vacation in Florida. On Ambergris, as in Florida, there's a range of vacation costs, depending on whether you're staying at budget hotels and eating burritos, or staying in beachfront resorts and dining well.

Here's an estimate of what it costs, for a week's vacation, per person, at budget, moderate and luxury levels. This is based on two people traveling together, in-season (December to Easter). You can get by on somewhat less, or spend a good deal more. Off-season, the hotel may cost 20% to 40% less, but other items will be about the same. Figures shown are estimates and don't include air fare to Belize, international departure fees (US$20), any airport transfer fees or gifts. Hotel rates include service, if any, and 7% hotel tax.

Budget Level
(Per Person for Week's Vacation)
Round-trip ferry from Belize City to San Pedro US$25
Room at a budget hotel US$175
Meals at budget restaurants US$105
Entertainment (informal activities; rum drinks at local bars) US$35
1 snorkel trip US$20
Miscellaneous (tips, personal purchases, fees) US$75
Total: US$435

Moderate Level
Round-trip air fare from Belize Municipal Airport to San Pedro US$50
Room at attractive mid-priced beachfront hotel: US$385
Meals at moderate restaurants US$175
Entertainment (drinks, dancing) US$105
1 snorkel trip US$20
2 two-tank dives US$105
1 day's golf cart rental US$60
1 day cruise US$55
1 day excursion to Altun Ha US$60
Miscellaneous US$90
Total: US$1,105

Luxury Level
Round-trip air fare from Belize International to San Pedro US$100
Room at upmarket resort US$900
Meals at expensive restaurants US$350
Entertainment (drinks, dancing) US$175
2 snorkel trips US$45
Atoll/Blue Hole diving trip US$185
2 days' golf cart rental US$120
1 day excursion to Lamanai US$125
1 day fishing charter US$200
1 day trip via air to Tikal US$260
Miscellaneous US$200
Total: US$2,660

SUGGESTED ITINERARY FOR A WEEK
Day One: Relax. Decompress. Forget about the real world. Take a lazy walk through town.
Day Two: Relax some more. Take a snorkel trip to Hol Chan and Shark-Sting Ray Alley (or go diving).
Day Three: Bike or cart to North Ambergris (if not staying there). Walk the beach and have lunch at one of the North End beach hotels or have a seaside picnic.
Day Four: Take a day trip to Lamanai or Altun Ha ruins or do a cave tubing trip.
Day Five: Take a catamaran or other boat trip to Caye Caulker, or take a day trip to the Belize Zoo and Western Belize.
Day Six: Bike or cart to the south end of the island. Take a snorkel trip to Mexico Rocks (or go diving.)
Day Seven: Relax and start worrying again about going back the real world.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#55556 08/01/02 10:54 AM
K
KJ Offline
K
My experience in Ambergris it is more expensive to eat if you are staying North of San Pedro. The restaurants are more expensive that in town, average $25 US a person for dinner north of town, lunch about $15. In town we could eat dinner for under $5 a person if we wanted and ate well, you can also eat for $25 a person in town if you want to. We stayed north of town (we were a family of four two of which were teenagers and they loved it up there) and thought it was much prettier, peaceful, and our accomodations at Beliezean Shores were great (best pool on the island), it was very resonable at BS because it had a kitchen. We ate breakfast and most lunches in. When we first came to San Pedro we went to a grocery store in town stocked up on fruits, chicken, veges which were all local and prices cheap compared to US. What is expensive is packaged foods. We brought from home snacks, popcorn, peanut butter, cheese, sausage, condiments, spices, oils, cereal, etc. This made it economical. From north we biked to town it was fun and part of the island experience, at night we took the water taxi which is $5 us a person each way(expensive we felt). All scuba, snorkeling, fishing, tour trips they would come to get us and bring us home. For us this trip was cheaper than Florida, and Mexico. A little work up front, and a little planning before you arrive saves $.

#55557 08/01/02 12:12 PM
It all depends how much you want to eat/drink each day and what. You can spend from $5-$50+ I would guess. But you can get cheap eats and good!!! Eat from the vendors at the square. Breakfast at Ruby's deli (fryjacks, johnny cakes and/or rum cake, even buy a bagful and keep in fridge for later snacking or lunch). Meat pies, cerviche etc from the kids/locals. Try the bakeries. But some fresh fish from one of the locals at the dock or catch your own. There is lots and lots to try!
Take a trip to the distributor and buy your Belikins by the case (or have it delivered). Take any packaged snacks, etc that you can if you want them to snack on. We take nuts, chips, pretzels, stuff that can't get crushed in the luggage. I budget $100/day for everything I need/want to do (am not a diver). I bring home $ every year so works for me! The messages above are great!

#55558 08/03/02 02:59 AM
Snowbird, what are Belikins? I'm somewhat new to the message board and Belizean terms. The infomation on this thread is very useful. I agree, great info. I've also read that it's better to bring your own champagne/drinks. What do u think? Any input please. Thanks

[This message has been edited by tonya&les (edited 08-03-2002).]

Tonya&Les
#55559 08/03/02 10:23 AM
Belikins = Belize's brand of beer (YUMMY)!

#55560 08/03/02 07:56 PM
no way i'd haul champagne or booze...

#55561 08/03/02 10:39 PM
Haul it back to the states, but no need to haul it to Belize.

Dare To Deviate
#55562 08/04/02 01:26 AM
One Barrel Rum and Belikin......doesn't get any better than that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.