The Belize Forest Department hereby reminds the public that, as per the Wildlife Protection Act (CAP 220), a license is needed to hunt and sell the following game species:
- Chachalaca, Black-throated Bobwhite
The Forest Department reminds the public that it will be monitoring and enforcing these laws during the La Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge. All hunters and vendors are advised to apply and obtain the necessary licenses prior to the closed/open season of game species at the Forest Department Offices located in Orange Walk Town, Belmopan City, San Ignacio Town, Savannah or Machaca Forest Stations.
A valid Dealer’s License issued by the Forest Department is required for the sale of game meat. Please note that the cost for a temporary Dealer’s License (of 3 days) is $100 and is not valid for game species during their respective closed seasons.
CLOSED SEASONS FOR GAME SPECIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
• DEER (Odocoileus virginianus).... 1ST JULY to 30TH SEPTEMBER FOR MALES;
• DEER (FEMALES)... 1ST JULY to 29TH FEBRUARY OF NEXT YEAR
• GIBNUT (Cuniculus paca)... 1ST DECEMBER to 31ST MAY
• ARMADILLO (Dasypus novemcinctus)... 1ST FEBRUARY to 1ST JUNE
• PECCARY (Tayassu pecari)... 1ST JUNE to 30TH NOVEMBER
• IGUANA (Iguana iguana)... 1ST FEBRUARY to 30TH JUNE
• GAME BIRDS... 1ST FEBRUARY to 15TH JULY OF EACH YEAR
(Chachalaca, Black-throated bobwhite, Blue-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup)