Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Did you get fries with your last plate of fried chicken? Or maybe you went to the market and found potatoes that were small or mushy or just plain grotesque. Well, that's because there's an issue with the local potatoes - and on top of that, a shortage of fries. This has led to the Ministry of Agriculture giving the green light to start importing potatoes. Today, Minister Jose Mai explained the potato problem:

Hon. Jose Mai, Minister of Agriculture

"We had a very bad crop in potatoes this year, probably like sixty or seventy percent was lost to a disease, which apparently came in the seed, I am being told. But we are now out of local potatoes; we are going to import fresh potatoes, but there is also a shortage of fries in the world market. I was supposed to get a report this morning on the reason for that, which I will get and report to you back on the reason for that. But we have right now authorised the importation of fries. Of course it has to be managed, especially when you are harvesting potatoes. But if you are not harvesting potatoes, it should not be a problem. But there is a scarcity right now on the world market; I am being made to understand. The reason I will find out and get back to you."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Jose Mai On Potatoes

Last week, we told you that there was a shortage of French fries, with restaurants and food vendors substituting the side order with rice or even garlic bread. And the potatoes on the market are no better since this year, there was a bad crop. But today the Minister of Agriculture promised again that soon, they'll be importing the vegetable:

Hon. Jose Mai - Minister of Agriculture

"There is a worldwide shortage of potatoes, of fries. I understand that the importer were unable to source fries but we have given import permit for fries since our potatoes crops are done, we'll be having fresh potatoes being imported shortly and we should be having fries on the market. So, it was only a temporary shortage but if you can produce all the potatoes in the country we should do it and not import any."

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.