Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#556910 04/27/22 05:35 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Carnival Comeback, Finally

Francis Fonseca has spoken on many issues so far in the news tonight - but we met him in the act as Minister of Culture - making a donation to the long dormant Belize Carnival Association.

That dormancy, of course, was caused by COVID - but things are looking to take off in September once again. Here's more from today's donation:

Also, carnival bands are now being allowed to register as business companies.

Channel 7

=======================
Carnival Road March Returns to Belize in September 2022

Two years since playing mas, it's official: The Belize Carnival Association announces the return of the road march this September 2022! Since its inception in 1974, Carnival has and continues to be a highlight of Belize's September celebrations as a jubilant expression of freedom. September holds two significantly important national holidays: September 10th marks the Battle of St. George's Caye, while September 21st is Belize's Independence Day where 2022 is the 41st anniversary since breaking free from British rule. The annual parade is slated for Saturday, September 3, 2022.

The press release, dated April 26, 2022, signals the beginning of carnival celebrations and anyone planning to attend will need to set their alarms. The President continues, "We're here, thanks to the Minister of Education, Youth, and Culture Hon. Francis Fonseca, Interim President of NICH Marilyn Young, the National Celebrations Committee, stakeholders, and you: the revellers and band leaders"

Now, Carnival in Belize is back in full swing under the theme, "Carnival 2022! We outside! We back pon the road!" Participating Mas Bands this year have not yet been publicly shared.

Marty #556916 04/27/22 06:18 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Carnival is Back!

The official announcement was made today at the House of Culture in Belize City - Carnival is Back! The date for the road march has been set in the schedule for the September Celebration calendar of activities. To make sure that bands get that extra boost, today the Ministry of Culture, through the National Institute of Culture and History, handed over a check to the Carnival Association of Belize to help with preparations for the bands. News Five's Duane Moody reports.

Audrey Bradley

"Carnival is back, Soca Moca is ready. We always ready. We've been ready from 2019."

Leroy Green

"Corona put everybody asleep, metaphorically, but this year 2022 it is back and Mother Nature will bring it back with a bang."

Marina Welcome

"Definitely, definitely we are right here ready to rumble."

Duane Moody, Reporting

Carnival is back after two years.

Patrick Thompson, President, Carnival Association of Belize

"The wait is over. Long anticipated time. Like I said earlier, everywhere I go, "Boss when we wah have carnival again?" Well you all see and heard it for yourself today. It is back; September third."

The signaling of the return of carnival in 2022 was made in the form of a donation of twenty thousand dollars from the Ministry of Culture to the Carnival Association of Belize as a startup for carnival bands. The hope is for a full return of carnival.

Francis Fonseca, Chairman, September Celebrations Commission

"They are the ones who have pushed it and we are just here to support them, facilitate them and provide them with some seed capital to get the seed going. They shared with us their budget for this year and we are going to work along with them to provide as much support as possible."

And as News Five found out today, the bands are prepared for all the activities, including the King and Queen competitions, the mas camps and j'ouvert - all leading up to the carnival road march on September third .�

Leroy Green, Mother Nature Creations

"From the time we heard that carnival is ready, we came up with our theme, I do the designs and as you can see we are at work. 2019 was the most outstanding presentation in terms of the entire band itself and the grand finally at the stadium and also the night of king and queen. The dramatic presentations were out of this world and this year we plan to top that."

Audrey Bradley, Soca Moca

"I noh know weh Soca Moca wah look like this year because we done have one hundred and eighty-eight dancers from 2019. I really noh want pass that two hundred. Of course I done have wah theme. We have wah theme from 2019 and I done jot it down everything cause I know ih mi wah come back something. Two years later, still ready".

Marina Welcome, Jump Street Posse

"The team done ready, trust me. All we need is mula. Once we get the mula, costume start to make and we ready to go."

Duane Moody

"It's about preparing earlier rather than later so that you know what all you need, right?"

Marina Welcome

"Right. Once we know what all we need and what will be happening and we get the sponsorship and the donation or whatever, we are ready to go."

Channel 5

Marty #557098 05/07/22 05:40 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

September Celebrations Carnival is back and coming to Ambergris Caye!

With the COVID-19 health protocols now relaxed, the country is returning to normalcy. One occasion welcomed back to the traditional Belizean lifestyle is the official announcement of the return of carnival! A massive component of the patriotic September celebrations, carnival festivities are primarily celebrated on the mainland. However, the colorful and energetic parade will be in full swing this year and bigger than ever on San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye. All interested groups and businesses wishing to participate or sponsor a band, start making your plans for September and contact the San Pedro Town Council events committee at [email protected].

On April 26th, the announcement to bring back the traditional celebration was made at the House of Culture in Belize City with the annual Carnival Road March scheduled to be held in Belize City on September 3rd, 2022. The news received a good reception in San Pedro as well, and the September Celebrations on the island will now include six days of revelry, ending with the island's very own majestic carnival road march on Independence Day, September 21st. The anticipated celebration also includes a pre-carnival party called J'ouvert, pronounced Jou-vay from the French word meaning daybreak. This event begins on the evening before the main carnival celebration and generally includes young people dancing through the night in the company of loads of music, drinks, and people smeared with mud, paint, oil, or chocolate. In Belize, people primarily use paint or mud, and just before dawn, there is a massive street party/parade. The road march during the day features colorful costumes and the stars of the parade, the 'big trucks' booming Soca music Caribbean style. This high-energy atmosphere lasts for hours of dancing and celebration on the main streets.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the My Beautiful Belize Blog

Marty #557895 06/14/22 05:18 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Launch of the Carnival Season 2022

Marty #559103 08/26/22 10:47 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Carnival Is Coming

Carnival is next weekend and Belizeans are ready for the road! It's been two years without the beloved September event and though there was only a few months to prepare, the Minister of Culture, Francis Fonseca, told us today he has no doubt that it'll be a great show. He also said that he knows residents are more than ready for Carnival's comeback.

Francis Fonseca, Minister of Education
"I think based on all of my discussions with the Carnival Association, I'm confident that they are well prepared, we had to make some changes to the route and some one or two of the big bands I think are not participating but we also have some new smaller bands participating so I think all in all, people- you know the carnival has been on paused for two years, I think people are absolutely excited about getting back on the road, the Carnival band members are absolutely enthusiastic, they are ready to go and I think the public is ready to go, I've already heard people talking about, "bwai, get the spot pan Princess Margaret Drive and we have to go out there from midnight". So, I think people are absolutely ready for it, we hope the weather cooperates but as you know in Belize, no rain can't stop the jam. So, I think everybody is looking forward to it and I expect us to have a fantastic Carnival."

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.