Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#557366 05/20/22 05:00 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Last week, we told you about the man who survived a crocodile bite in Caye Caulker. Well, tonight, we can confirm that a San Pedro resident is alive after he was bitten by a shark near Turneffe.

Brian Bradley, who is a spear fisherman, had a more than terrifying experience when he found his hand in the jaws of a shark today.

One of the men with him says he and a group of 5 were spear fishing, he had a fish in his hand, and a 5 foot shark came from behind and bit his hand. After wresting himself free, his friends had to rush him the 20 miles to san Pedro by boat where he was airlifted to the KHMH. That is where he is currently receiving treatment tonight. Reports from his family are that he is in a stable condition - and his hand is intact.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Pedro Spear Fisher Survived Shark Attack

And the Hopkins villagers aren't the only ones dueling with nature - a San Pedro man had to wrestle with a reef shark yesterday.

Brian Bradley is still recovering at the KHMH after the shark's teeth tore into his arm. It was a terrifying experience that happened while spearfishing near Turneffe island.

But, thankfully, his injuries weren't life threatening - though his arm definitely needed some stitches. And, today, his friend, Francisco Morales, told us that they were in a kayak when Bradley spotted a grouper. He chased after it, followed by Morales, and they caught it about 50 feet from the kayak. And it was while Bradley was taking the fish back to the kayak that the shark attacked. Here how he explained it:

Francisco Morales, Friend of Victim
"We caught the grouper and Brian said we will take the grouper to the kayak so when he was 25 feet away from me, he was swimming towards the kayak when I heard him shout, quad! He was like, he looked like he needed help so I started swimming towards him and when I started swimming towards him, I saw the shark was coming to attack him. The shark already attacked him the first time, he had his hand like this, out of the water, and then when he shouted for me, I reached right on time, and I saw the shark was coming to attack so I have my speargun, I cranked my speargun and when I looked, I shot the shark and missed him. Those baby shark, like five feet, they're fast, way faster, so when I shot [at] the shark, the shark just move side way like that."

"And then I saw he was coming back again, so I came to Brian, I saw the shark was coming back to Brian again because his hand was bleeding a lot, a lot of blood in the water, a big chunk of meet like that, apart, and then I start see a lot of blood, and I start see the shark coming again, and I didn[t anymore backup, you know the steel that I used for my speargun, I didn't have anymore. i only had the speargun, the long speargun, and when the shark came to me, I grabbed the stick and I whopped it in the water like that. And then the shark went."

"I was like 20 minutes fighting with the shark right there and then Brian my friend, he told me, quad, I feel like I'm fainting. I told him, don't worry about anything. I grabbed him, I hugged him and I started to swim. I told him, put your head down so the shark doesn't come. And I started swim and then I start shout, Roy!, Roy! And then Roy heard me and when Roy heard me, he started to kick too, fast, and then he saw his brother was bleeding a lot, I told him help me! And me and him grabbed his brother and we put him in the kayak and we started to wave, the boat was parked like 100 feet, we started to wave and the captain saw it. And the captain started to come fast, and we just put him in the boat, and we take off straight here to San Pedro to the clinic."

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

San Pedro fisherman recovering after shark attack near Turneffe area

Fellow fisherman Francisco Morales, who witnessed the incident, said the shark bite badly damaged Bradley's wrist area. Morales spoke to us about the incident, providing details of what happened. The three of them were in the water with a kayak spearfishing, including Bradley. As they dove looking for fish Bradley signaled that there was a grouper nearby. He took a shot but missed. Morales, affectionately known as 'Quack or Uncle France,' said Bradley called him over to help him catch the grouper. Morales managed to spear it with his gun. Bradley then started swimming away from Morales with the grouper towards the kayak.

It was then that Bradley started shouting for help. Morales immediately started swimming towards him, and as he got closer, the shark came into view. "I saw the shark. I think it was coming to attack him again," said Morales. "It had already attacked him because Bradley had his right hand out of the water profusely bleeding," Morales said he readied his spear gun and shot at the shark to scare the big fish away. However, the shark kept coming back. "When the shark returned and came close to me, I took the speargun stick and whacked the water around it. The shark would go away and return. I kept fighting with it for like 20 minutes," said Morales. During this time, he was shouting for his other fishing colleague, but he seemed to be a distance away. Bradley was losing a lot of blood. While Morales fought the shark, Bradley told him he felt sick and was about to faint. Still wary of the shark, Morales grabbed him and swam towards the kayak. When they made it to the kayak, they started signaling to their boat, some 100 feet away. The boat captain saw them, came to them, and quickly rushed Bradley to San Pedro.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 111 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,042
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.