Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Following up on several queries from our followers, Belize Live News has confirmed that water taxi fees across the country have increased effective June 1st, in some cases by a whopping 17%, due to the rising cost of fuel in the country.

We reached out to the Port Commissioner of the Belize Port Authority Major Gilbert Swazo who confirmed that the increase in tariffs was approved by the Belize Port Authority.

Swazo explained that in July of last year when fuel was less than $10.00 a gallon, water taxis such as San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi were charging $35.00 for a one-way ticket from Belize City to San Pedro. However, with fuel prices now over the $13.00 mark, they are now charging $41 for a one-way ticket for the same route.

Swazo however told us that the price change is only temporary and explained that it is a "fuel surcharge," that was implemented on an interim basis to lessen the financial strain that the water taxi industry is currently facing. Swazo said that the fuel surcharge will be dependent on the price of fuel and will increase or decrease depending on the local market price of fuel.

Additionally, he said that the Belize Port Authority will be dispatching their personnel to the various water taxi stations to ensure that they are in compliance with the new regulations and do not overcharge passengers. Furthermore, the Belize Port Authority will be rolling out a passenger verification system that will keep track of passengers' information, their fares, and their respective stops.

The increase in water taxi tariffs went completely under the radar, that is until today when a Cabinet briefing hinted the following, "Cabinet gave its approval for amendments to the statutory instrument regarding water taxi regulations to introduce provisions to improve the safety and efficiency of the water taxi industry. "

One follower told us that previously he would pay $37.00 for a round trip ticket to Caye Caulker compared to $61.00, which he is now being required to pay at Ocean Ferry.

Belize Live News

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Water Taxi Prices Shoot Up, "Fuel Surcharge"

When water taxi prices shot up in April - the Belize Port authority was quick to jump in and bring them back down, saying the new rates were "illegal, unlawful, and not to be tolerated" - and insisted that the controlled price be observed.

But, since then, it seems that hardline has softened, and on Thursday, government sent out a release saying quote, "Cabinet gave its approval for amendments to the statutory instrument regarding water taxi regulations to introduce provisions to improve the safety and efficiency of the water taxi industry."

Well, it seems that means an "ok" to the increase in prices. Reports say that means a roundtrip to San Pedro from the city is now at $79, up from $55 dollars. A one way trip to San Pedro is now $41 dollars. There are also reports that the price of round trip ticket to Caye Caulker has increased from $37 to $61.00 on Ocean Ferry - while it is $59 on San Pedro Belize Express - up from $37 dollars.

We did call the Ports Commissioner Major Gilbert Swazo who said that indeed prices have increased but he did not have the specifics in hand.

Swazo has told other media that the increase is only temporary and described it is a "fuel surcharge" - to accommodate the high price of gas.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Sharp Increase In Water Taxi Fares Is A Gut Punch For Water Commuters

As we told you last night, there's been a sharp increase in fares for water taxis.

A roundtrip to San Pedro from the city is now at $79, up from $55 dollars. A one way trip to San Pedro is now $43 dollars.

Also, the price of a round trip ticket to Caye Caulker has shot up from $37 to $61.00 on Ocean Ferry - while it is $59 on San Pedro Belize Express - also up from $37 dollars.

It's being called a fuel surcharge to compensate for the high cost of gas. Today we spoke to the regulator about the rationale and commuters about the effect on their pockets. First, here's the Ports Commissioner explaining that the surcharge will fluctuate with fuel prices:

Major (Ret'd) Gilbert Swaso, Ports Commissioner
"You may recall that in early April the Belize Port Authority had received at the time several reports that the respective water taxi operators were unilaterally and arbitral raising passengers fares. At that time when we got that information, we made a release informing the general public and also the respective water taxi operators that it cannot unilaterally nor arbitral raised the passenger fares and as such we had at that time told them that they need to revert to the approved passenger fares and subsequently the respective water taxis requested officially for an increase in passenger fares."

"So, it is then that from that time to now it is approved effective the 1st of June taking into consideration and including what we now call a fuel sur-charge. So those new rates include the fuel sur-charge which is a floating surcharge. Simply means then that if the price of fuel were to drop or is decrease then certainly a new passenger rate based on the new price decrease will definitely decrease the passenger fare."

"For example: San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi, the rate then, the single for a one way was $25 and now that has been increase to include the fuel sur-charge to what I believe now it's going to be $33 one way from San Pedro to Caye Caulker. As it relates to from Caye Caulker to Belize City the price then was $25 one way, it is now $33 including fuel sur-charge and also including the passenger user fee. Then the one way to San Pedro from Belize City was $35 and now that is now $43."

And so while that is the outline of the rates, Swaso doesn't have to commute to the islands regularly. Today, Cherisse Halsall went to San Pedro Belize Express to speak to people who do:

Commuter
"Too hard on us, very, very, very hard from 57, they had it at 67 for about a week and then it went to 57 so from 57 it moved all the way to 79 that's too high."

Cherisse Halsall:
"How often do you travel between the islands?"

Commuter
"Sometimes I go twice a month, sometimes four. I'm a wood sculptor by the way, you know. So I go a lot I have a lot of business in San Pedro."

Cherisse Halsall:
"And right now with the rise in price how often do you think you'll be able to go?"

Commuter
"Well, it put me to think in reverse from going to San Pedro because right now business is a little hard."

Commuter
"I ride the boat because I go to school every day and then there is no place here in Belize where I can stay so every day I have to ride the boat."

Cherisse Halsall:
"How much did the boat use to cost?"

Commuter
"It was 15, then 20, then 25, now 35."

Cherisse Halsall:
"And how are your parents handling sending you to school every day?"

Commuter
"Well, not really it's very expensive not just this but the taxi and food."

Cherisse Halsall:
"What form are you in?"

Commuter
"First."

Cherisse Halsall:
"You think you'll be able to stay at SJC for the rest of high school?"

Commuter
"Yes."

Cherisse Halsall:
"So you'll make the sacrifice."

Commuter
"Yes."

Commuter
"Well I was surprised because the last time I travelled to Caye Caulker was two weeks ago and it was 37 so it really caught me off guard but I understand the cost and everything that is due to fuel prices going up and it's a world wide thing so we're just. I guess we are just now feeling the effects of what's going on."

Cherisse Halsall:
"Still Sir, these people deal in volume while I'm sure they needed to raise the price do you think they needed to raise it by this much?"

Commuter
"No, I don't think they did. I don't think they had to do that and it should have been a gradual increase. I would have accepted that because believe it's something that has to happen but a 22 dollar price hike from two weeks ago that really caught me off guard at the end of the day so yeah I'm really really surprised at what happened."

Commuter
"It's rough it went up. It's rough because thank god I have access to pay that. the job that we are doing doesn't pay well but we still have to pay for that."

Cherisse Halsall:
"How often do you ride the boat?"

Commuter
"Like every month."

Cherisse Halsall:
"At these current prices will you be able to ride that often?"

Commuter
"Well, you have to do it."

Commuter
"I think this affects not only me but everybody because it's too high I think it's good that went high because the gas is high but not so high like that, that's my concern."

TRANSLATION
"I understand that gas is truly expensive, but for tourism where they come to visit, enjoy, and take in the scenery that's fine that they make it expensive but for someone local who only goes to visit family. Well, I think it should be cheaper. You feel that it costs money to make money and so paying this really costs, that's the truth."

Cherisse Halsall:
"How often do you travel?"

Commuter
"Like 4 times a month because my sons live in San Pedro so I go and visit them."

Cherisse Halsall:
"And now how many trips do you think you'll make monthly?"

Commuter
"Well, I'm not sure, they're gonna have to chip in now for my passage."

The new rates went into effect on June first.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Logistics Minister Defends Water Taxi Rate Increase

On Tuesday we told you that the fares for water taxis have increased by approximately $30 per roundtrip ticket. The reasoning behind this, according to the Ports Commissioner, was that fuel prices were at an all time high and had become unsustainable for the two major water taxi services, so they implemented a fuel surcharge.

But a thirty dollar jump? Many regular commuters were blindsided by this new rate, which came into effect on June 1st. And Belizean travelers feel that thirty dollars is unreasonable and way too high to take a trip to the cayes for recreational purposes.

Today we asked Minister of Logistics, Michel Chebat if he felt the new price was justified.

Hon. Michel Chebat - Minister of Logistics
"I believe that it was three years ago that their rates had been increased, and with the increase in fuel, they had reached out to the Belize Port Authority, and I believe they had employed a formula calculating the cost of fuel and other factors to come up to this and so it was a formula that was employed taking into consideration all of the factors and this is how they came up with this tariff."

Courtney Menzies
"Don't you think it will hinder domestic tourism considering people now, they noh wah ketch boat no moh?"

Hon. Michel Chebat
"You know, clearly any increase in cost in any services will initially have a little bit of an effect but I think we also must take into consideration the provision of the service which has become more costly due to no control of hours. We are finding ourselves in a world where everything, the cost of fuel which is so fundamental to the provision of these services, has skyrocketed so it leaves us in a very difficult position."

Reporter
"And indeed a precarious position but some may agree that the increase in those water taxi fares should have been maybe staved off for a few months so that consumers and those who utilize the service can prepare."

Hon. Michel Chebat
"Well, you know there are always other options and there are always other opinions but I feel that the Belize Port Authority took into consideration all of the relevant factors at coming up with that formula at this time."

Channel 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.