Last night, we showed Prime Minister John Briceno's first press conference since his government took office in November 2020. He discussed his official trip to the Summit of the Americas and also disclosed details of a number of official meetings which will seem him travel to 6 countries, 3 continents over 3 weeks plus.

It's the longest non medical leave from Belize we can recall a prime minister taking and while he is away, Deputy Prime Minister Cordel Hyde will take over as Acting Prime Minister. This morning, we caught up with Hyde at another event, and we asked him about becoming the country's maximum leader for about a month while PM Briceno is away. Here's what he told us:

Daniel Ortiz
"Tell us about taking on that responsibility, especially with all the headaches you have at the Ministry of 'Lands.'"

Hon. Cordel Hyde - Acting Prime Minister
"Well, we don't stress too much about that. We have very capable ministers. We have are very capable public officers who are able to do their jobs and do it well. Unless there's a big problem, then everything would be OK. I must try to restrain myself I'm not going over to the Treasury, going over to the ministry of finance, and authorizing some expenditures there. I'm just kidding, but no, we don't expect any major issues for the next month or so. We have some of the best ministers ever, mein. So I think we'll be good."

Reporter
"However, will you be guarded that there isn't any conspiring within the Cabinet or the party? I mean, it's a political party."

Hon. Cordel Hyde
"No, no, no, no, no. Listen, we don't have that disunity anymore, mein. We struggled with that for as long as we did. We're about unity and about trying to get the work done, trying to take care of the people's business. And we have a lot of that at work. So, we don't have time for that right now. And the prime minister, he knows he's in good hands."

Reporter
"Will you be required to report to him, or to make a report?"

Hon. Cordel Hyde
"No, no, no, no, no. But he can always ask for one."

This evening, a press release from the government confirmed the PM's travel - but did not list the members of his delegation.

Channel 7