Another thing that's already in practice, though not on the books, is the sale and purchase of COVID self-tests which we've seen at Brodies and have heard of at one other retailer.

Government had long banned the use or importation of these because it undermines the concerted public health effort and distorts the statistics.

We asked Minister Bernard about the new relation in regs, and here's the explanation he gave us:

Hon. Kevin Bernard - Minister of Health
"The ministry has already granted approval in some cases for importation of these test and pharmacists can apply for them to import. Again, the idea that we are leaving it now to the responsibility of individuals, if you feel that - I for example, if I feel that I am down on the weather, not feeling well and I had a rapid test, I'd test myself right to make sure that one, I'm isolating myself and protecting my family and we encourage people to do so. Of course we would want to set up some mechanism that it is able to be tracked and reported at the regional hospitals, the nearest facility you can report it to and that is one part of the cabinet paper we are also presenting to put in that regulation in place."

The Minister also told us that all COVID self-tests sold in Belize must be approved by the US FDA.

Channel 7

======================

Ministry of Health to Approve Home Tests for COVID-19

According to the Minister of Health and Wellness, the next step in COVID-19 testing is to allow Belizeans to purchase rapid tests across the counter at local pharmacies. Minister Bernard says, his ministry has already granted approval to some businesses for the importation of rapid tests. While this will allow Belizeans to know their COVID-19 status within the comfort of their homes, the Ministry of Health and Wellness has not yet figured out how it will track and gather these results.

Kevin Bernard, Minister of Health and Wellness

"I think that one of the next steps we are going to do is to allow people to bring in their own test so that it can be purchased at the pharmacy and you can go and buy just like when somebody pregnant they go and get their test over the counter. You should be able to do that. The Ministry already granted approval in some cases for importation of these test and pharmacies can apply for them to import. Again, the idea is now that we are leaving it up to the individual. If you feel that, if I feel that I am down on the weather and not feeling well, and I have a rapid test then I test myself to one make sure I am isolating myself and protecting my family. We encourage people to do so. Of course, we would want to set up some mechanism that it is able to tracked and reported at the regional hospitals, or the nearest facility that they can report it to. That is a part of the commitment to put in that regulation."

Channel 5