Last night we showed you photos of the localized flash flood in Silk Grass Village, it was a sudden natural disaster for many of the villagers who today find themselves without possessions, livestock, and even clean drinking water.

Our team made the journey South to meet some of the affected families, Cherisse Halsall has the story.

It was an all-out emergency in Silk Grass Village yesterday when police, BDF, and even the area rep headed to the low-lying area beside the village creek. But for those who live there, it was nothing less than terrifying watching all your family and all your worldly goods threatened by fast rising waters.

Fransisco Manzanero, Victim of Flood
"It was rough, you had to go all the way around because the street was flooded and then to come here to save my mother's chickens and all that stuff, the dogs it was really tough. The water was rising up very fast."

Cherisse Halsall, Reporter
"And chickens can't swim?"

"Yeah, they almost drowned. Yeah I had to go all the way in the water and in the cub to take them out and put them in a higher spot."

This house in Silk Glass is one of the many that was affected by yesterday's flash flood. The owner Magdalena Rosales told us that when the structure started wavering in the flood currents, she feared it would fall. And the speed with which the water was rising - made it clear that she had to get out as quickly as she could.

"Now, this is the house of sister Magdalena. You can see along here that you can't pass because this current seems to be something strong. Look that is her house."

Magdalena Rosales, Flood Victim
"What we thought was that the house was going to fall because the creek was up to here. And so, my husband took me out and each of us because we could get out."

Heidi Hernandez, Magdalena's Daughter-In-Law
"She sent me a text then I came, I made coffee for her and I came to see her. When we came, the water was up to here. We were drinking coffee up there, then when we came out it was full. So, my mother in law said for us to get out of here so we started to come out, but the water was too much right now. So, we came out and I went to my house and she stayed there. I called her and she said they told her to go to the school. She had some posts to build another house to the back there but all of that went."

And in the aftermath of the flood, Magdalena's main worry is how she'll get clean drinking water. The rain has changed the pristine water at the bottom of her well into muddy sludge. And up the street, Dora Palencia told us that she was shocked at how quickly the water rose.

Dora Palencia, Flood Victim
"My neighbor and I didn't worry because we said the flood wouldn't reach us. So, she was cooking, I was cooking we were cleaning up and everything and we had already finished washing so when I saw my baby said 'mommy water' because I was upstairs, and she was upstairs. We didn't notice anything, when I saw water was reaching to the flooring, so we said get out we need to come out. I bawled, I bawled to her and I told her 'come let's go out' but when I went, the water reached me up to here, so I told my son to back the babies and take them out. He took them one by one and then we took my clothes and we went to find shelter. We had to run, and a snake nearly bit my son that I started to bawl."

Angelo Velasquez, Victim of Flood
"It felt ugly because when I was taking the gas tank a snake nearly bit me, yeah."

"How did you get away from the snake?"

Angelo Velasquez, Victim of Flood
"I had to swim, yeah. I swan into my house."

"And in the end did you kill it?"

Angelo Velasquez, Victim of Flood >br/> "Yeah I killed it."

"How, how did you do that?"

Angelo Velasquez, Victim of Flood>br/> "I just swam, and I saw a machete right there on the side of my house and I chopped it."

"How terrifying was that to see the snake swimming in the water?"

"Ah what, we bawled because I'm afraid. We bawled because a lot of snakes were there and up to an alligator pass, a small one."

But what's to be done in a flood plain? Well, there are two choices stick with it and endure, or head for higher ground. For these neighbors it all comes down to what you can handle.

"I've been here since I was little, it happens so I'm here for good. Can't do anything about it."

"This is the first time it happened like that because the flood never comes, it always reaches but not too high. This is the first time after six years that the flood went up. So, that's why we said we need to move from around here better. By that time, I don't think I want to live here."

"Where would you go?"

"Cayo, I am from Cayo you know; I was born there. Maybe next year I will move you know. My children and I are thinking about moving next year, we are going to Cayo to live."

As you saw the flooding in the village of Silk Grass has largely receded. But it wasn't that way yesterday; NEMO reported that 24 persons were rescued in the area of Manatee and that the 30 persons were placed in shelters in Silk Grass.

Today, a flood forecast from the Department of Hydrology says that the watersheds on the eastern slopes of the Maya Mountains, and on the Sittee River at Kendal Bridge are expected to persist at above normal levels.

And, that flooding is also prevalent on the Coastal Highway where engineers working on the modernization of that road had to improvise today to create temporary approaches to as yet un-opened bridges.

Channel 7