It's been a week since residents in central Belize collectively awaited the arrival of Tropical Storm Lisa with bated breath.� Despite carefully tracking the progress of the weather system, as it barreled towards the coast of Belize, we sat on the edge of our seats as the National Meteorological Service provided the latest updates on the path that the storm was taking.� The National Emergency Management Organization, NEMO, kicked into high gear as final preparations were being made ahead of landfall.� Prior to its arrival, News Five set out to speak with residents of Belize City who could not afford to properly secure their homes and properties.� We visited poverty-stricken communities and sat with the elderly, as well as the disabled, to see how they would make it through the severe weather which ultimately touched down as a category one hurricane.� Tonight, as we begin to wind down our coverage of Hurricane Lisa, we revisit the indigent families from a week ago, to see where they are now and how they made it through a most grim challenge.� News Five's Isani Cayetano reports.

Isani Cayetano, Reporting

It's difficult for anyone to imagine that just a week ago, an elderly couple had been living here on the waterfront.� The sea remains undisturbed and there isn't the slightest hint that this vast expanse, agitated by an area of low pressure, torrential rains and extremely strong winds, consumed a rough-and-ready wooden structure that Lorna Dixon and her husband once called home.

Lorna Dixon, Belize City Resident

"I want to ask unu guys to give me a good, good hand, helping me out to see if I could get a house, noh, by the blessings of God, of Jesus.� I see God, you know, somebody will come around and give me a hand, give me a good, good help and build me a good, good house.� I've been really, really, I'm telling you, I need a house, mister, I need a house very bad."

We have been unable to reach the couple in the wake of the storm.� When last we spoke with them, they were preparing to seek shelter at a designated location.� Since the remaining shelterees have been moved elsewhere, we presume that the Ministry of Human Development is looking after their wellbeing.

Across town, in another community, we caught up with Emar Martinez and his common-law wife. Together, they braved Hurricane Lisa at home.� Emar is visually impaired and recently suffered a debilitating stroke.� Surviving Lisa was a traumatic experience.

Emar Martinez, Hurricane Victim

"Mein, that was nothing nice, my brother.� I tek it rough right een ya and end up haffu gaan unda mi bed because, if yoh notice, mi zinc dehn messed up right, and wih mi di get wet and di haad breeze, ah mi feel like ah noh mi wahn mek it todeh day fi talk to nobody else.� But I dah wahn man ah God.� I got God within me, so I know that God mi wahn help me also, but like ah seh mein, first time eena mi life I witness wahn hurricane weh so serious."

The recurring theme between the elderly and the disabled is an abiding faith in God.� Lorna Dixon prays for a Good Samaritan to assist by building her a new home.� Emar, on the other hand, placed his confidence in the Creator to see him through his darkest hour. Beyond their belief and devotion, these families are in dire need.� Like many hurricane victims across the city, they are waiting for help.

Horace Lord, Hurricane Victim

"I almost lose everything again, from the last time my wife house burn down at Apartment 10 Faber's Road, and I noh get no assistance from nobody and ah noh know weh wahn happen now.� So I just, I noh know weh fi seh."

It's a feeling of despair that only one who may be going through a similar crisis can appreciate.� For Horace Lord, help remains elusive.

Horace Lord

"Well I see [that] the water was coming and later on when I look, wow, it was amazing because after that, the amount of garbage and dirt and mud flood the house, flood the house and everything that was on the ground [was] destroyed.� That is all I got to say."

Isani Cayetano

"Has anyone come to see you since to see how they can help with your situation?"

Horace Lord

"The only person come is [the Department of] Human Development and bring some groceries.� That's the only person I see up to now."

In Emar's case, no one has visited him since the storm wreaked havoc on his property.� From his living room, the sky above provides natural light.� At nighttime, the wind torments him, flapping the zinc violent above.

Emar Martinez

"Todeh day, I noh know mein but as I tell mi wife, ah seh maybe da weh wah lotta people place deh wreck up so nobody noh come fi give me wah lee assistance fi try help me nail down back dehn zinc, yoh know.� But di other day ah hyah di Red Cross deh da back ya di give weh stuff and thing."

�but they haven't gotten around to him just yet and every night without a proper roof over his head is increasingly worrisome.� The Belize Red Cross is working overtime, so is the National Emergency Management Organization, as well as the Ministry of Human Development.

Terrence Woodye, Belize Red Cross

"I just want to say that, have the public have a little patience with us.� People are texting, people are calling, "My roof is down and I need a tarp.� I didn't get my tarp yet."� But, you know, our team is small and we are trying to reach everyone, but just for them to have some patience with us, we are doing it by sections."

Channel 5