Next Thread
Print Thread
Spanish Explorer Docks in Belize aboard His Nine-foot Long Jet Ski #560811
12/03/22 05:25 AM
12/03/22 05:25 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP

A Spanish explorer from the Royal Academy of the Sea, who has spent the last two years navigating the high seas aboard a nine-foot-long jet ski, has stopped in Belize along his tour of the world before heading back to Spain where he began his journey. Alvaro de Marichalar (MA-RICH-A-LAR) has spent the last forty years campaigning against plastic pollution in the sea and has embarked on forty maritime expeditions. He has solo-navigated from Hong Kong to Tokyo, from Rome to New York transatlantic, and from Barcelona to Ukraine. News Five was present to speak with him upon his arrival in San Pedro today from Southern Mexico to bring the same message about plastic pollution.

Alvaro de Marichalar, Spanish Explorer

Im celebrating the fifth centennial of the first circumnavigation accomplished in 1522, five hundred years ago by Juan Sebastian Elcano an expedition that (Ferdinand) Magellan started in 1519 with two hundred and sixty other sailors on board five vessels. Juan Sebastian Elcano made it with eighty survivors and one only floating boat, named Victoria, so Im honouring them. And Im filming to create awareness about whats going on in the oceans, especially denouncing the plastic pollution and the over-fishing. So Im using gasoline here in this engine, produced in Mexico with plastic debris, which is an amazing patent. And were looking for sustainable solutions, not only talking but really implementing them. This is an example here. This is all the equipment I have for three years, all my belongings, all my – everything I need and also equipment, radio and yeah, traveling very light.

Marion Ali

When you meet inclement weather and you just cant navigate through it, what do you do?

Alvaro de Marichalar

Well the problem is that the weather changes a lot. We started two hours and a half from Chetumal, it was quite good. Then it rained, then it was again good, then it changed. Of course if the forecast is very bad I avoid taking risks and avoid departing. I try to sleep onshore, I try to find a hotel or something but when this is not possible, I sleep on board my little vessel. Yesterday night I was about to cancel the lap. We had a main problem so we were working all night and I slept one hour and Im very tired due to that but I had these Mexican friends that came to help me and they repair it very well.

Channel 5

Re: Spanish Explorer Docks in Belize aboard His Nine-foot Long Jet Ski [Re: Marty] #560814
12/03/22 05:32 AM
12/03/22 05:32 AM
oregon, spr
Marty Online happy OP

Marty  Online Happy OP
Around The World With Alvaro

Spanish explorer lvaro de Marichalar is back in Belize tonight. He first visited in 2013 when he was traveling around the continent on a jet ski.

Now, he's solo sailing around the World in the smallest craft in history, and he's doing it all to raise awareness about environmental challenges.

This holder of 14 world records arrived in San Pedro this afternoon - and here's what he told the San Pedro Sun:

De Marichalar set sail three years ago from Seville on August 10.

The pandemic stopped his expedition until February 19, 2022, when he was able to restart his Challenge, sailing along the Gulf of Mexico all the way to Bacalar.

Channel 7

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do
Specials & Events
Calendar
SPTB Calendar of Events

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
Click for the Thrifty Dollar Golf Club Rental website!
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 99 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics78,667
Posts499,094
Members20,320
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.