Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56591 09/09/02 07:28 AM
OP Offline
I'm planning my first trip to Belize and Ambergris Caye for this November. Everything I've seen so far makes me think I will absolutely love it.

I have recently become a certified (SSI) diver so I'm definitely no expert. I am a single guy and plan on taking this trip by myself. I know most people on the board talk about couples and families, so I thought this was important.

What hotel/dive operations would you recommend to a near-beginner? I have up to two weeks to spend and would apreciate any suggestions.

#56592 09/09/02 11:22 AM
Amigos Del Mar is the Dive shop we use.
We did an awesome night trip to Hol Chan with them.
What diving trips do you want?
My family did 10 days of diving without repeating any dive sites!
What type of hotel would you like? Expensive or cheap, in town or out, pool or beach?
San Pedro has something for everyone!
Belize it!

#56593 09/09/02 01:06 PM
OP Offline
I guess I WAS pretty general with that question. As for price, while I can't say it's not an issue, it's not the most important thing. I'm not looking for a several hundred$/night all-inclusive, but I also don't want a run-down $20 a night hotel. Let's just say I'm willing to spend what it takes as long as it's reasonable. I would think $80-200/night is what I would expect to pay.

As for dives, I really don't know. Like I said, I'm still a beginner. I'm thinking my first day of diving would probably be something close to a resort-cert-type dive to be sure I have everything down, then something a little more "advanced" (note the quotes) for later in the trip.

Thanks!

#56594 09/09/02 03:48 PM
//ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodgingprice.html

check out your price range -then do a search of this message board for the places that interest you.(upper right under reply)
There are many to choose from in your price range.

North of the river is more secluded & isolated, more difficult to get to & from town.
South of town can be a bit of a walk to town.

I prefer smaller places to the big multi room places like Ramon's & Banana Beach.
Last year I stayed at the Belizean Reef & loved it. Spacious, clean, great view, great location. It is on the south edge of town still within easy walking to town for food, beverages & entertainment.

#56595 09/09/02 09:20 PM
D
D
buzzbean, you can check out the Sunbreeze Hotel and there Aqua Dives dive shop right on site for convenience.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]
#56596 09/10/02 10:55 AM
K
K
Hello,
Sounds like a great trip! Check out the Blue Tang Inn located on the Northern edge of San Pedro town, just a few blocks from downtown. Hustler Tours is located directly in front of the Blue Tang Inn and can take care of all of your diving. The Blue Tang is newly renovated and very beautiful. There are 14 one-bedroom suites available.
I am the Sales and Marketing Director and would be happy to talk with you in person. Feel free to contact me toll free at 866-337-8203.
-Kristin www.bluetanginn.com

Kristin
Sales and Marketing Director
Blue Tang Inn, Belize
Toll free: 866-337-8203
http://www.bluetanginn.com
#56597 09/10/02 11:08 AM
Buzzbean. I've seen Aquadives and Hustler mentioned, I have dived (dove? ) with both and they are both very good. The item I wish to bring up is that since you are relatively inexperienced, you may be a bit nervous about possibly being tossed in with a buch of vets and be expected to keep up. I wouldn't worry about it. The divemasters in AC are for the most part very personable and flexible with beginners, and don't seem to have the cattle boat mentality prevalent in other places. They take a personal interest, and ensure that you are comfortable enough to ENJOY yourself, which is the purpose of the whole thing, right?

I think you are going to enjoy this more than you anticipate.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#56598 09/10/02 11:48 AM
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in for Amigos Del Mar dive shop. Dive with them always adn never had a bad trip! (I too am fairly new to diving with less than 50 dives under my belt).

As for places to stay - well it depends. Are you fgoing solo? Family? Friends? Want a kitchen? close to town? For me - Caribe Island Resort. South of town with free bikes to take into town. Has everythign I needed there - with some serenity, and a great staff. And a free taxi ride to town for dinner and a night out!

[This message has been edited by aqtpie2 (edited 09-10-2002).]

#56599 09/10/02 09:52 PM
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for all your help! While I've narrowed my choices down to a few places to stay, I still haven't ruled anything out. Sundiver sounds great, but a little too out of the way. Blue Tang also sounds good, but I was hoping for someplace south of town. (I may still give you a call, Kristin!) Banana Beach or Caribe Island Resort are also possibilities.

I'm making this trip solo. I would love to bring a wife or girlfriend, but if I kept delaying because of that, I'd never get there! I hope to meet some people down there that wouldn't mind someone tagging along to a few sites, but I'm not shy about going it alone.

Bobber, you are right about being nervous about diving with dive vets. I'm sure I could learn a lot from them, but I wouldn't want to slow them down. I'm taking this trip to relax.

Thanks again for all the help!

#56600 09/10/02 11:50 PM
buzzbean, you are going to find that going solo presents no problem at all. You will have more opportunities to join in the fun than you have days. It's time to start your count down!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.