#56729 09/09/02 05:55 PM
OP Offline
Started getting quotes for diving classes
for next year. Question is what should I be
talked in to buying to take to A.C.?

#56730 09/09/02 10:21 PM
L
L
Reputable dive shops here will supply what you need .. so you do not need to bring anything. In fact it is better to wait until you have some training in order to decide what it is you would like. Many shops push their equipment sales to those that have no experience. I do not agree with this at all.
If you would like more personal conversation then post your e-mail and I will get back to you.
take at look at www.grumpyandhappy.com

[This message has been edited by ljacks (edited 09-09-2002).]

#56731 09/09/02 11:03 PM
yeah, we bought masks up here, took classes in san pedro, and my mask was ok, but my wifes was hideous. truly hideous. garbage in fact.

and i bought another one after learning what i liked anyway...

#56732 09/09/02 11:55 PM
Masks, fins, snorkel, booties. The rest you can rent until you decide to take the plunge and go all out. Try the Aeris Velocity fins if you can find them. Great fin for a reasonable price. All said and done you'll spend close to $175 -$200 for this, but they are personal items that fit is key. Alos, your local shop should give you a discount on gear.

#56733 09/10/02 12:13 AM
C
C
Hope you are getting certified at home (allows you to learn at a comfortable pace so you can let your vacation be a vacation). I would say that a good mask is a must (get the snorkel too). I wouldn't worry about a regulator until you have an opportunity to try a few. Cold water fins and warm water fins are made differently (although I use my cold water fins in warm water). I would wait on those also (if you decide to do only warm water diving you could save yourself some money). Most dive operators carry equipment. Lots of times it can be a hassle to take your own gear (especially with the luggage restrictions these days).

Nate

#56734 09/10/02 12:49 AM
Get your own mask and snorkel. While you are taking your lessons, in the pool, you should be able to try a bunch of the shops demo models and that way, decide which you chose to purchase. Some shops want you to have your own mask, snorkel, fins for the OW portion. If you decide to get your own fins and you believe that you will be diving at home in cold water, buy booties too and open heeled fins.

Don't go overboard on any of your purchases until you know for sure that you are going to be loving this sport and doing lots of it. Unless you know that you will be doing a bunch of snorkeling even if you don't fall in love with diving, don't get a fancy snorkel. The fancy ones are heavy and awkward and I don't even wear mine anymore when I dive.

Once you know for sure that you are going to be doing a lot of diving, get your own regs and BC. Get a good set of gear. It is your life support system after all You can do all kinds of research on this before you buy and I don't mean just with the shop monkey that's trying to sell you either. The web is a great place to get info on gear.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#56735 09/10/02 03:39 AM
I reccomend at least Mask Fins and Snorkel as one of the above posters reccomended try them out inthe pool to ensure a good fit and that its comfortable.

While most shops have good quality rental gear it is very difficult to get fins to fit exactly as rental fins are made to accomodate a range of sizes in one fin so while it fits its not the best fit in the world.

the same with masks especially if you have a narrow head or larger than normal nose etc it can be challenging to find a mask that will fit you comfortably, that where the big stores can really help as they will stock a number of brands and styles to ensure you find one that fits you well.

REMEMBER you will not be able to truly see if a mask fits you until you actually use it so make sure your shop allows you to try a bunch out in the pool before purchasing.

Rest of the equipment is not necessary to purchase until you decide what impact diving will have on your lifestyle, ie just vacations (no need for BC & Reg Purchase) or local diving in your quarry or coastline which will definately require additioanl equipment purchases.

As far as your certification i reccomend a refferal which means you complete your classroom work and pool training in your home country and complete your 4 Open Water dives while on vacation, doing it this way allows you to work at your own pace but avoiding those COLD dark quarry dives and sunstitute those for warm clear water diving while on vacation.

You can start your dives immediately after arrival and will not lose any days to studying.

Have a great time and Good Luck

Gaz Cooper
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE www.GazCoopers.com

#56736 09/10/02 05:54 PM
OP Offline
Thankz for the start.
Will be doing New England in Jan/Feb.It would let me find out if diving is for me. Plus will make me appreciate A.C. even more. AM possitive about fins, boots, and mask plus snokle. And will try all before buying. The scare they were putting in was "WHO USED THE REG. LAST?" Having read the board for the last year (thanks marty) I can't come to A.C. without trying what A.C. IS about goodtimes, meeting good friends, and living/loving life!

#56737 09/10/02 08:23 PM
Thankz for the start.
Will be doing New England in Jan/Feb.It would let me find out if diving is for me.

DAVID --- PLEASE
Do not judge scuba diving based on what you will find in New England in the winter. Brrrrr! Why would you even want to do New England in the winter? Where do you live and where do you plan to do most of your diving? Cold water gear is different but not for masks and snorkels. Fins have to do with whether or not you plan to wear booties inside them.

If you don't already get a dive magazine, pick up a couple of copies from your dive shop. My dive shop gave away "Dive Training Magazine." For the first few years I devoured every issue. You might also go on line to Rodale's http://www.scubadiving.com/ or Skin Diver's http://www.skin-diver.com/index2.asp
Each of them does extensive reviews of equipment.

I have about 8 fins in my garage, I think 2 of them even have a mate. (Little sense of humor there - you're going to need it). Everyone has split fins now. When I bought mine when they first came out the old macho guys laughed at me - see who's laughing now! I love them. Fit is important.

You must try a mask on to make sure it fits. Just like kissing frogs, sometimes you have to try a lot before you find the prince - uhm, I mean the mask -- for you. Most masks come with companion snorkels so you don't look too much like a dork. You are going to look like a dork anyway, especially when you take it off and walk around with the outline embedded into your face. (All new divers wear their masks too tight) Now, when I say come with, don't get me wrong. It's not like, "A salad comes with that, what kind of dressing would you like?" It's more like, "Would you like salad with that?" Get my drift?

If you are worried about "who used the regulator" before you, just buy and take your own mouthpieces. In fact, getting one that fits your mouth is very important.

I never took up skiing because I objected to the expensive equipment. HA - You ain't seen nothing yet!
But, like any other love in your life - it's worth the price.

Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#56738 09/10/02 09:47 PM
damn - the only people I know here in NE who even THINK about jumping in the water Jan/Feb are urchin divers...brrrrrrrrrrr

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.