Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#56801 09/12/02 08:52 AM
M
OP Offline
M
First, let me say thanks for all the advice so far! Next, this is the last question, I promise...:-)

I've narrowed it down, we can stay third floor corner unit at Bananas or middle unit second floor at The Palms. The ocean view is important but so are the accomodations....which do people prefer (I've read great things about both). And finally, for the last week of October how busy will both be?

Thanks again!! Looking forward to meeting anyone who will be there that week.

#56802 09/12/02 09:05 AM
O
O
I prefer Bananas, if you read all my previous posts, that will explain why. I have not stayed at the Palms,so I cannot comment on that. But I can say that I stayed in an ocean front suite for three weeks at Bananas and the rooms were beautiful. Everything that you would need for a kitchen is there, the balcony is wide it has a table and four chairs with french doors that open from the living room. YOu cannot beat the view, from there, I was on the second floor.
If you need more info you could email me at:
[email protected]

#56803 09/12/02 09:38 AM
They're both excellent places, both well run and offering good value for the money.

For me it would probably come down to two things: Price and what you're looking for in terms of location.

In location, Banana Beach is about 1 1/2 miles south of town. That has pluses and minuses -- it's a little quieter, the beach is better, but getting back and forth to town regularly does require a golf cart or a taxi. The Palms is handy for those who like to pop out for a quick bite or drink anytime day or night, but the location at the edge of town means that there's a lot more traffic on the water and also foot traffic up and down the beach.

On price, Bananas typically is a little less than the Palms, but it really depends on the specific deal you get.

--Lan Sluder
Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide (new 4th edition coming this summer)
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
San Pedro Cool (the first and only visitor guide to Ambergris Caye)
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
UpClose Central America
Belize Book of Lists

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#56804 09/12/02 10:36 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Lan - how safe is it to walk back and forth from Banana Beach at night or will we have to take a taxi? Is it also safe walking back and forth from The Palms at night?

Thanks!

#56805 09/12/02 10:52 AM
It's safe to walk back and forth from Banana Beach, either on the beach or on the road. (Of course, you have to use common sense -- at 4 in the morning on a dark deserted stretch something could happen, in San Pedro as anywhere.) But it's a pretty good hike, especially in the heat, and the road can be busy.

No problem with safety around The Palms either. Although on an island with 5,000 people plus several thousand tourists, crime does happen as it does in any place of comparable size, really Ambergris Caye is quite safe as vacation destinations go, and that shouldn't be a concern.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
#56806 09/12/02 10:53 AM
O
O
I know you wanted Lan to answer this but, being single and traveling by myself I have walked to and from Bananas at night by myself with no problems,just use common sense as if you were are home waking at night. Plus there are always taxis available in the evening from town.
Jackie

#56807 09/12/02 11:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Lan and Jackie!!

Jackie (or Lan)- for Bananas, would you recommend the one bedroom deluxe suite (corner room) on the third floor....does it matter second vs. third floor? Were you in a corner room?

And finally, what about noise level...that's my one concern with the place being so big and all rooms opening to the pool and courtyard. Thanks!

#56808 09/12/02 11:14 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Okay...I guess the first question wasn't my last :-)

#56809 09/12/02 11:28 AM
L
L
At Banana's, the rooms face away from the pool and doors to the unit face the courtyard or the pool. I have never had any complaints from customers at Banana's. I suggest that you ask to be on a level above the pool as the doors on the main level are next to poolside where people hang around. and may interfere with your peace and tranquility. You will not be disappointed there. A really nice resort.

#56810 09/12/02 11:58 AM
At Banana Beach, I personally think the two corner suites on the third floor seaside of the original building are the nicest (assuming the A/C units have been changed out since I was last there in June) but the second-floor corners units are great too. Also the seafront units on the new building are beautiful as well, though these probably will be used mostly as multi-bedroom units.

At The Palms, I'm not as familiar with the different units, though I've been through a number of them. The apartments I've visited are all very nice.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.