Re: San Pedro Dogs #57877
10/15/02 08:41 PM
10/15/02 08:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
if it ever comes outta the lagoon again eek ....i'll eat it...

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57878
10/15/02 10:47 PM
10/15/02 10:47 PM
bedford tx usa
rickcheri Offline
rickcheri  Offline
Oh my!!! Rick and I are leaving on the 29th...and we're out alot at night. An hour ago Rick picked up a stray dog and due to our two Chows..could not keep it. A police officer came up (10pm) and met me at the pound to let it in. It's fate would have surely been death. Maybe someone from the "Town Council" reads this board???? If I see it or anything of the sort-ALL HELL will break loose!!...LOL...I Am an animal freak...and am concerned with "child exposure" also. If they must die, euthanasia is effective AND cost efficient...too much at risk with poison. OOHHH MY!!! P.S. Marie....accidentally deleted your email address....send us a note!!! C

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57879
10/16/02 08:26 AM
10/16/02 08:26 AM
Texas/Belize
Miss Anthropy Offline OP

Miss Anthropy  Offline OP
Thanks Cheri! Please see what is really going on if you don't mind. I can't make it down until Feb 2003.

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57880
10/16/02 12:47 PM
10/16/02 12:47 PM
D
deking3333 Offline

deking3333  Offline
D
Sure is a lot of response to this issue. I didn't read every reply, but didn't notice anyone who actually lives in San Pedro responding (my apologies if I missed you). I live here and let me assure you the dogs are a big problem. They bark all night, all over the island; they lunge at locals and tourist, you can't walk the beach or anywhere else anymore barefoot. The real culprit in this case is the pet owner who doesn't tend to their animal properly. This is a long repeating cycle in San Pedro. I have seen for 20 years the stray dogs and cats are poisoned and gone, then in a few months, they are back again. Poison them, they are back again, etc. Try not to judge situations or people in life from the outside. I live here and I love dogs, but I support the program, however it is done. Out with the pot lickers-in with the clean beach again!

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57881
10/16/02 02:13 PM
10/16/02 02:13 PM
Sacramento, CA
L
lmarquis Offline

lmarquis  Offline
L
Animal overpopulation is a world wide problem and most likely wont get any better unless people educate themselves on spaying and neutering their pets. If they cannot take care of them, don't have them. In the Orient, they eat them. Which fate is worse, I don't know, but it has been a problem for many years and will likely stay a problem.

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57882
10/16/02 04:32 PM
10/16/02 04:32 PM
Texas/Belize
Miss Anthropy Offline OP

I opened this post to point out the INHUMANE and CRUEL way in which these animals are being killed. I have acknowledged that some of the animals in the San Pedro population are probably candidates for euthenizing due to illness, aggressiveness, etc. I have visited the island many times, and I lived in San Pedro full-time for over a year not too very long ago, and intend to return, if it remains a liveable place. Imarquis and deking3333, I never argued against culling the animal population. However, as humans we have dominion, through laws and otherwise, over animals and we are thereby charged with ensuring that our wards are treated at least humanely and without cruelty. deking3333, your suggestion that it is appropriate to poison dogs because they bark is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard, whether you live in San Pedro or on Mars.

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57883
10/16/02 04:37 PM
10/16/02 04:37 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
Well, DeKing: If you are correct, the "breed and poison" routine is not doing ANY GOOD AT ALL!
You still have unwanted, neglected, and sick dogs wandering around, its just a new crop and then you poison THAT crop and then you have a new crop next year. And so on.....
Now...given that "the way we have always done it" DOES NOT WORK, isn't it time to try something new? Like SPAY, NEUTER, INNOCULAT, EDUCATE?
We now know THAT works, albeit not totally, because it has not yet permeated the entire community. We know it works because there are fewer strays now than there was a year ago.
Now here's the $64,000 question: Do you keep on doing MORE of WHAT WORKS? Or do you keep on doing it "the way we have always done" it even though it DOES NOT WORK? Right, left backward march, hup hup hup!!!
Gee, that's a hard one, isn't it?
(And we have not even discussed the disgusting, cruel, potentially dangerous to small children and de-sensitizing nature of the "breed then poison" system...which is of concern to many even though it is apparently not an issue for you.)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: San Pedro Dogs #57884
10/16/02 05:09 PM
10/16/02 05:09 PM
bedford tx usa
rickcheri Offline
rickcheri  Offline
Miss Anthropy-I will definitely let you know what i see! My problem is I'd probably march right into the Town Council and give them an ear full!! I have know Bron for a few years...met her here in the states. My "kinda" near future I'm planning on taking a course for a vet tech. When we move to AC I can spend alot of time at SAGA. But i don't think i can get licensed here in the states unless I work at a vets office for like 120 hours!!! AC probably won't mind that I'm not licensed...I'll be able to do most anything ACCEPT surgery. In order for me to do this, i would have to quit my current job of 22 years....hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the year and the course will be 12 weeks. That is my "plan". May sound sick, but I have more compassion and sympathy for more animals than most humans. Hell, we don't even need terrorists to come from other countries...we can terrorize each other just fine without any help from others!!!! And GOOO Susanng!!! Duh....let's keep doing what we've been doing so we can keep getting the same results.....it's a wild world we live in these days!! 13 more days!!!!!!

Re: San Pedro Dogs #57885
10/16/02 05:46 PM
10/16/02 05:46 PM
Texas/Belize
Miss Anthropy Offline OP

Cool Cheri! I think you will be a great asset to SAGA. I fostered kittens for SAGA and Bron when I lived in SP. She is fantastic and did such a great job under very difficult circumstances. Go for it, you'll be a great vet tech!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 82 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,880
Posts492,137
Members20,011
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.