Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#58508 10/30/02 09:04 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's the article from the paper, we're sure gonna miss Alvan...

A tragic accident Tuesday evening claimed the life of Alvan Rhaburn Sr., cabinetmaker and long-time resident of San Pedro Town. According to reports from the scene, at approximately 5:45 p.m., the deceased lost control of his bicycle and slid underneath a construction vehicle loaded with gravel, which was proceeding north on Coconut Drive. Unable to stop in time, the rear wheels of the construction vehicle traveled over the body of Mr. Rhaburn, killing him instantly. Alvan Rhaburn Sr. was pronounced dead at the scene by Dr. Lerida Rodriguez.
Alvan Rhaburn Sr. spent the last few years of his life working alongside his son, “JR” at the Corona del Mar Hotel. He was a hard working family man who often relaxed playing a friendly game of horseshoes. His presence will be sadly missed.
The San Pedro Sun extends its deepest sympathies to the many family members and friends of Alvan Rhaburn Sr. May he rest in peace.

#58509 10/30/02 09:20 AM
This is so incredibly sad. We really need to get rid of cars and trucks on Ambergris Caye. Really. Alternatives exist for hauling freight - and for taxi's. Our little streets just don't have room for monster trucks, people and pets ........

#58510 10/30/02 09:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
MY CONDOLENCES TO HIS FRIENDS...LOVED ONES AND SANPEDRANA FAMILY

---------------------------------------------
DAMN STR8 DIANNE

AND THE DUST...GESZZZ..
HOW MANY BABIES COUGH B/C OF THE DUST....

HOW COSTELY ARE THE HEALTH ISSUES...

"LONGTERM"

GEEESZZZZ

IF MOOSE WAS KING......

#58511 10/30/02 10:50 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Very sad...
You would have seen Rayburn around Woodys... a creole man in his 50s, living there and doing maintenance. A good all-around handyman. ...always polite, friendly and cheerful.
this AM the local radio station is full of preaching about how we all need to be careful on the streets. Made nationwide radio news too.

left ten kiddos, and his wife and ex-wife..

#58512 10/30/02 02:35 PM
E
E
This "accident" was just waiting in the wings. The heavy truck and Kamakazi Taxis, dust, is one of the main reasons I left. Our deepest feelings go out to the family. What an unnessary waste of life.

#58513 10/30/02 02:56 PM
This is so sad. Maybe horse and wagons would be better. Thank goodness it wasn't a child! He will be missed. frown

Grace DeVita
#58514 10/30/02 03:19 PM
E
E
The next time it very well could be a child frown

#58515 10/30/02 08:09 PM
S
S
Very sad.

It would be quite easy to retrofit the 4 and 6-seater golf carts for use as taxis. All they need is a luggage rack on top and a cover for same for rainy days.

There is no need for motor vehicles on AC, other than a very SMALL number of TEMPORARY permits for construction vehicles, and an ambulance.

The taxi drivers would make more money in the long run, even with the cost of battery charging.

Plus: An entreprenurial opportunity for those who can retrofit the golf carts.

Whats the downside? Whoever is making money off the gasoline concession (I don't know who it is but I would bet its somebody who is well connected with the powers that be) would lose money. Of course, he or she could also get into the golf cart business. The community would benefit, it would help tourism (which puts money in a lot of local pockets), cut down on accidents, noise, traffic congestion.

So the question is: The pockets of a few or the well being of the many?

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#58516 10/30/02 10:30 PM
It would take Hulk Hogan to heft my suitcase onto the roof of a golf cart. The taxi drivers can hardly get it into the back of the van as it is.

That said, it would be nice if the number of motor/gas vehicles was limited and decreased as they go out of service or go back from whence they came. However, how do you take away a taxi driver's new van, etc.? It's just not that easily resolved a problem.

After it rains, the roads are always all potholed and gouged. The trucks come along and spread more sand and it gets graded again or tamped down. Would they do that with the golf carts too? See, it's tricky.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#58517 10/30/02 11:43 PM
S
S
Good point Seashell...but you must be YOUNG! When you get to be my age, you learn to pack lighter (as in never pack a bag you can't carry yourself!)
But there are ways to get around that...like adding racks to the back of the golf cart! Many possible solutions to the luggage carry problem.
As far as taxi drivers who have bought vans, well, they can sell them on the mainland...the town board might well provide a free ferry to those taxi drivers who need to sell their vehicles. Here again, these are not insurmountable problems. It would have to be phased in, obviously.
There are tropical islands that do not allow cars. I have some friends who vacation every year on a little island, I think its called "Abaco" or something like that, or maybe its "Turtle" something, not sure, but they do not allow any motor vehicles. And people vacation, they stay for weeks and manage to get their luggage to their hotels with no motor vehicles. (Yes, they have golf carts and bicycles!)
I do not perceive any insurmountable problems that would be caused by a phase out of non essential (very limited construction and ambulance vehicles excepted) motor vehicles. Adjustment issues yes, insurmountable problems no.
San Pedro has become so congested with HUGE motor vehicles and the accompanying "crowded" feeling, noise, stink, huge ruts and potholes, and potential accident danger (some of those cars speed, laws or not) that it has lost much of its quaint beauty. The water is still wonderful and the restaurants and gift shops and bars are still great, but the town streets no longer have the lovely ambience they once did. That's my opinion, anyway, others may disagree. And that is a net negative from a tourist perspective, I believe. It is something that can, however, be remedied if the residents are creative enough to attempt it.
We all have opinions, but the people who live in San Pedro have to make these decisions. Luckily, I think its one of the few that they may be allowed to make without interference from greedy pols in Belmopan...maybe???? I don't know how local people feel about the increasing number of cars. Perhaps it does not bother them as much as it bothers visitors and part time residents?

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 159 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.