Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59244 11/19/02 09:33 PM
K
KathyA Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have been reading posts about people who take their own libations to AC. I understand top shelf brands are very expensive in AC. Exactly how much are you allowed to bring into the country and how do you pack it and travel with bottles of wine/liquor (for the purposes of keeping it at the villa we are staying at)?

Best way is to buy it at the duty free shop in the airport, and they pack it in a nice carry on box. Duty free shop will know exactly how much per person can be taken into the country you are visiting. Going and coming.

Dare To Deviate
K
KathyA Offline OP
OP Offline
K
at what duty free shop...what airport? in Belize or in US?

US going and BZ returning home

Dare To Deviate
The duty free shop/store at the Belize airport is very well stocked with booze. Don't know how much you can take to the island with you, but it's cheap!

Being into vodka martinis, on the first trip down (not knowing what would be available, I had not yet found this board) I took a bottle of vermouth soaked olives, and picked up some vodka at the duty free in DFW (cost me the same as it would have in a liquor store at home). A pain in the butt. Second trip I took the olives and picked up the vodka at the grocery store at the north end. Cost me about 6 bucks more, but it lessened the hassle immensely. Thats what, the cost of 2 or 3 Belikins? My advice is, unless you are upper shelf brand specific, determine whether it is that important to you. My experience with the duty free has been pretty spotty on booze coming out of the states, and it is usually a lot cheaper at the duty free in the island airports when you are coming back.
You got Belikin, you got great rums, panty rippers, blue thingies, and a host of other island drinks, why bring your own?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
After many years of transporting serious quantities of distilled sprits to SP, we too gave it up. All we bring now is a 1.75 of Smirnoff's (not my choice, but the plastic travels very nicely) and a small 2oz bottle of Blue Curcao (God knows what for?). Stoly would be about the top of the vodka line in SP stores, and other spirit types are represented about the same. The cost is about 20% more than stateside so we really don't care.

One note of caution, as I've noted before, the BZ rums are really quite good, the Vodka is close to dreadful (try Lerska if you must, but strain it through a coffee filter first), but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES try the BZ made gin. You WILL be very sorry.

CC

Richard,

I dont think you can buy duty free in Goldson and take it to the island, but only out of country.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
The Duty Free shop in Belize is for people leaving Belize. After you make a purchase, the package is held for you to pick up whilst boarding your flight out of the country. Therefore you cannot buy anything in Belize's Duty Free Shop and take it to Ambergris Caye.
To bring liquor into the country of Belize, you must buy it in the Duty Free shop in the airport from which you depart for Belize (US, Canada, Europe, etc.)
Most premium liquors are quite expenseive in Belize, but if you like premium aged Tequilla or excellent rum, you will find prices here lower than in North America.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.