Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#60087 12/12/02 12:09 PM
W
Warren Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I'm definately in the camp of those who feel that a hotel room is a place to sleep, and that's about it - I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Still, what separates a hotel like Ruby's from the more pricier places - noise? (from outside or between rooms) Cleanliness? Bugs? Uncomfortable mattresses? Just a lack of a pool?

I definately want to spend my money on things other than hotels, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting into - any comments are most appreciated - thanks!

B
B
What you don't get is seclusion and white glove service. What you do get is a clean well-lighted place right on the beach, literally in the middle of the action. I have never stayed there, but it looks fine, I was favorably impressed with the looks and comments.

B
B
I've stayed there in the past and agree. great location, clean rooms, friendly people and a good place to meet fellow travelers. Not the Ritz but very easy to recommend as a good budget place to stay. I enjoyed the roof-top sun deck, great breeze, no bugs. Ask for a beach front room, upstairs if possible.

G
G
Yes to everything else mentioned about Ruby's. For some reason I always feel like I'm into a Belize state of mind staying there--don't know how else to put it and that's not a negative take at all. It's clean, very friendly, great location in middle of everything. Having coffee/oj and a pastry from Ruby's Deli and watching the sun come up and the beachfront come to life from the deck is my favorite way to start the day. Staying there just always makes me aware that I'm not in the U.S. which is something I always try to do when out and traveling about. Hope that makes sense.

H
H
We are retired people and we stayed at Ruby's in April. We will stay there again this spring.
A fun place to be at any age.

STAYED THERE LAST YEAR AND GOING BACK AGAIN..........CAN'T WAIT. LOCATION IS GREAT AND NOT TO MANY STEPS FOR BREAKFAST IN THE A.M. THEN READ WHILE ON THE BALCONY UNTIL IT'S TIME TO ADVENTURE. STAYED AT CAPTAIN MORGANS OUR FIRST TRIP TO SP AND MUCH PREFER THE LOCATION AND AMBIANCE OF RUBYS GOOD LUCK

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
T
T
I couldn't disagree more about Rubys. I stayed there two years in a row, and would never go back!! Noisy rooms, partying all night, people throwing patio chairs around in a drunken uproar, paper thin walls with people doing some "natural" things on the other side of the walls, shall we say, the list goes on. I didn't get a decent night's sleep for a week. I don't need a luxurious room, just a decent night's sleep so I can snorkel or hike the next day, do you know what I mean? If you're into that atmosphere...go, if not, skip it. frown

Well, Warren, since you asked... I just returned from Ruby's and I loved the place. Like everyone else has said, Ruby's location is super. Ruby's Cafe for breakfast, Celi's deli for lunch, Book Center for water, snacks and beer. Ruby's is on the Southern edge of town. So if you want to hang out on a quieter beach, just walk South a little ways.
I brought along my own cozy blanket and pillow, but they really weren't necessary. The bed was a big piece of foam which was comfortable.
Now, it was noisy facing the street. But I didn't mind. In fact, it helped to wake up early to work off any hangover problems. (Afterall, I'm not on vacation to sleep.) If the noise bothers you, two hints: drink a couple of Belikins before you crash or bring along some ear plugs.
The only thing I'd change about the room, would be a larger shower. Girls have a lot of things to take care of in the shower. (Shaving legs for instance, which requires more room.)
Hope this helps!

W
Warren Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I've heard a couple of people complain about the noise at Ruby's, so I'm thinking about the Spindrift ($47.50 for economy rooms - no AC), Lily's ($65) and Conch Shell ($53). Any opinions on these, and do I need a run with AC for a mid-March trip. Thanks!

E
E
Check the HIDE-A-WAY. It's on this board

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.