Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#60260 12/18/02 12:11 PM
OP Offline
Hello all,

We will be visiting AC for our first time, and wondering about how easy it is to get around via the taxis, golf-carts, etc. We are staying south of town (Banyan Bay), and noticed that many of the highly recommended restaurants are noth of town, across the river. How easy is it to navigate the golf cart paths at night? Is driving a golf cart that far from Banyan Bay reasonable? Or are water taxis the best option? Do you always get soaked when using the water taxis? Any help is much appreciated on helping us find our way around to all the bars & restaurants.

#60261 12/18/02 12:54 PM
E
E
There are many good rest. that are south of the cut. 9 out of 10 times , tha water taxi will get a little moisture on you, depends how rough or calm it is. I would not try a golf cart too far north ( most rental agencies will tell you not to) as the roads are not always good and you don't know when the cart was last charged.

#60262 12/18/02 12:57 PM
You can't get to the north side of AC after 8pm by golf cart, as the pull ferry closes at 8pm. You'll do great in a cart and there are great restaurants on the south side!!! If you want to go to a restaurant on the north take a water taxi-this is best and it's great to look at the stars in the short boat ride!! For your water taxi/fishing needs contact HillBoo at 6149515 when you get there!! In my opinion there's only a couple restaurants to dine at at night that are north. You'll likely spend most of your time south!! Have fun!! C

#60263 12/18/02 01:40 PM
Cood restaurants North.
La cuisine (Portofino)
Mambo(Mata Chica)
Tamarind(Journey's End)
Rendezvous
Lagniappe (Sundiver)
Senor Crocs (Belizean Shores)
Capt. Morgans
Capricorn
Palappa Bar and Grill
Sweet Basils (only open till 5.00pm)
looks good to me

#60264 12/18/02 02:52 PM
Yes, I'm sure all of those are great restaurants...I guess Rick and I like to spend more time around the "locals"..after 10 trips we've only gone to dinner once up north-Capricorns....it was good, but a bit expensive. Just my opinion-most restaurants up north are the more expensive, upscale types. Last we were there, the Palapa was only serving food on Sundays....otherwise the "menu" is very limited. Are they still doing "Palapa Sunday"??? My favorite part about going to Capricorn's was the boat ride to and from....the star's are something you can't take your eyes off of!!! An bet your butt you'll see plenty of "falling" stars!!!! Plenty of recommendations on restaurants south...my personal favorites-Papi's, Celi's, Elvi's, Jambels, Jade Garden, Hideaway, Blue Water Grill, Estell's for breakfast or lunch....best burgers-Hideaway and Sweet Basil's....and if you make a trip to Caye Caulker-Rasta Pasta Conch fritters are to DIE FOR!!! Again-have a great time!!! C

#60265 12/18/02 02:59 PM
W
W
Do any of the "high end" restaurants up north have dress codes? Or are shorts, sandals, and t-shirts OK everywhere......just wondering how to pack

#60266 12/18/02 03:08 PM
E
E
No dress codes anywhere on the island

#60267 12/18/02 06:10 PM
SOUTHSIDE:
CooL Restaurants south: smile smile smile
Casa Picasso (dinner nightly)This one is mine and I'm proud of it!
Blue Water Grill (Sunbreeze)
Cafe Ole (breakfast and Dinner)
Victoria House dining room is very Lux, great food
Rico's (at your hotel--great new chef started this week!!)
George's Country kitchen(great,cheap breakfast)
Moncada's (new-upscale Belizean)
El Divino at Banana Beach will be open by the time you arrive(walk along the beach from your room)
Savor the South, something like that, I'm thinking.... smile P.S. I have bread in the poven so I may have been distracted and forgot some others!

all this is south of town... in town there are even more options! Don't worry about the ferry, although I would choose a good north end spot and take the water taxi it is reallly a spectacular experience! Read Pedro's list and check out the boards for advice!

Casa Picasso celebrated three yearsthis May, thanks to all of you!
Chris and Jen
#60268 12/18/02 06:52 PM
This would be a great thread to link to from the restaurant page.
Lets make it really good.
Feel free to say what your favorite restaurants are and why!!!!

#60269 12/18/02 07:11 PM
If I had to pick my favorite restaurants, location/price not being an issue, the would be:

In no particular order-

Capricorn (North side)- The boat ride; Anabelle and Clarence; the beautiful grounds and the EXCELLENTLY prepared food

Sweet Basil (North side)- Food the way I like it-fresh, interesting, best quality of ingredients you can't usually get south of Texas; good wine and the view is lovely

Celi's Beachfront Dining - very inexpensive, lunch specials, great service and ceviche, fish fingers ROCK, right in the middle of town beachfront

Victoria House - its the place to go for a birthday, anniversary, or celebration or other special occasion, for us any how. Food is buffet style, excellent Caribbean/Continental; atmosphere is very colonial inspired from the wonderful bar to the dining room. Need reservations! Golf cart accessible on the south end of town, a nice little ride.

Mickey's - in town next to the Island Galleria. I love the stewed chicken, rice & beans with plantain and potato salad plate. Its very inexpensive, home-made salsa, YUM. I crave this dish regularly, and try to make it myself.

Lion's BBQ - in town, the smell of the men cooking up the grilled chicken will draw you to it, the side fixins are equally tasty, very inexpensive.

Papi's - near the cut, in town - this family knows how to cook everything well, especially seafood and chicken. Fried fresh lobster, snapper, conch dishes galore. Service and quality cannot be beat.

Okay, now I'm really needing a trip down, and don't get me started on the non-food related bounties of San pedro!!! Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.