Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60552 12/29/02 09:04 PM
OP Offline
I have to ask! Has anyone had any experience bringing a disassembled bicycle thru customs, using it during your stay on the Island, and then giving it away when you leave?

Does customs charge an inport tax or something?

Our next trip we want to stay for about three weeks and it's worth it to me to do that seeing how much bikes sell and rent for!

Just curious! smile

One Barrel and Sprite.....It doesn't get any better than that!
#60553 12/29/02 09:46 PM
Hola Son of Son,

When I went down I took my bicycles, unfortunately my son's bike was stolen the first day, (even though we had a dog in the back of the truck). The positive side was we used the other bikes the intire time we were there, then sold them for $300 each. We didn't pay much for them so at that time the demand was high enough some one made an offer and we accepted it. I think taking them with the intent of leaving and selling them is great!! You are doing a service for whomever buys. If I remember correctly we made it the buyers responsibility to pay the import tax, I don't think it was very much based on original purchase price and assisted by the fact the bikes were USED. GOOD luck and have fun bicycling BELIZE!!! laugh wink

#60554 12/31/02 04:16 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! I hope it will not be too long before I'm there again!

Does anybody know if the import tax is a set price or does it go by value. The bikes I plan on bringing are not brand new. (but not junkyard material either)

I just am wondering if it's worth it or is the tax going to be so much that I'm better off renting.

One Barrel and Sprite.....It doesn't get any better than that!
#60555 12/31/02 11:29 PM
The last time I went down I bought a bike at the
Grocery store across from the Beliken plant. It was over priced by American standards but served
the purpose while I was there. Of course It's still there and will be there when I return in September. Compared to the price of a rental, it payed for itself. =Di=

I love San Pedro/ San Pablo, Ambergris, Punta Gorda,Maya mountains,Corazal, Progresso...
#60556 12/31/02 11:36 PM
Also depends on how much you care to spend....either on customs, or buying one....think about it.

Grace DeVita

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.