Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Four of us are heading down on Feb 1. Our first time down, we are staying at Banana Beach and I was wondering if anyone had any good restaurant recommendations.

Surf Rat - You'll get lots of responses but two little unknown gems in your neck of the woods - Banana Beach. Walk out of the hotel and hang a left. Go past Mata Rocks and Caribbean Villas and across the dirt road is a little cinder block place called Emerald II. It's a Chinese place with awesome fried chicken served with Lo Mein, Fried Rice or French Fries - $3.50 US and will easily feed two people.

Go right and down a little, there is Antojitos Santelmo - a screened in place with local type food. My wife and I both ate their one day, breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was $15 US for both of us. Nothing fancy at either place but good basic food for reasonable.

Don't expect stellar service or lots of chit chat as these places really cater to locals and some of the med students. Don't get me wrong, the people are nice but these aren't places you go for great service, you go for good, inexpensive food.

There are also two little grocery stores - one right across from Beach and one across from Antojitos where you can get beer, tortillas, snacks. Be adventurous and forgo the oreos and american snack foods. Try mexican brands of cookies, crackers, etc. Just as good and very inexpensive. Plus you can't beat the fresh tortillas and fresh squeezed OJ sold all over the island. You'll get hooked on those items.

S
S
Los Cocos Restaurant. North of town just past Richie's Supermarket on middle street - ask at Richies if you don't see it. Nice bike ride. Small place with great whole fried fish, fish fillets, stewed chicken - usually US$3.50-5.00 per plate (lobster and shrimp cost more). The "local" restaurants have great food for very cheap prices. Most of the restaurants mentioned on the message board, especially the hotel restaurants and "upscale" ones, charge tourists prices.

peek here:
//ambergriscaye.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=005755

The new restaurant at Banana Beach is supposed to be fabulous from what I have read from folks who have gone there. I can't wait to try it when I am there in May.

I really liked Caliente which is downtown by the Spindrift Hotel and Pier House bar. Sharks bar had real good pizza and we enjoyed Estels for breakfast. BCs BBQ on Sundays is not to be missed, head there for a great lunch!

Ok.. making myself hungry now!

Andrea in Atlanta.

Andrea in Atlanta
It isn't about upscale or down scale. It is about being there and having great food, great rum punch,and great beer. Meeting good people and being away from the freezing your butt off places we live. We will be at Banana beach on the 28th through the 5th so hope we can meet you at the best little corner of the world we know.

D
D
Opening soon will be the new "Taste of Thailand"

This restaurant will specialize only in food of Thailand as the chef is Thai.

This will be located just about a 100yds west of Barefoot Iguana.

Hi, trina I would suggest the Orange Walk area. There is a lot to offer there. In particular there is the Lamanai Outpost lodge that offers exactly what you're looking for. You can contact me if you need more info at [email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.