Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
AZ, I don't see any "blasting" here. No one is criticizing Jono for his opinions, in fact, Chloe expressed sincere regret. Mountain Larry made the point that Belize isn't for everyone; that is true for any holiday destination. I for one, would possitively hate Cancun & Cozumel. Barbera K added a very helpful non "Chamber of Commerce opinion" that rather than having another less than wonderful experience in Belize perhaps Jono might spend his precious vacation time and money elsewhere. I think that is very helpful advice from people who have been there done that. If Jono didn't like AC & Placencia and Cayo is more of the same, why bother?
IMHO

F
F
Bummer! I too was there when it was really slow, but that didn't bother me at all. Maybe I am an attention getter, but I liked getting more personal service. We went to Fido's twice to see Barefoot Skinny. We never saw him before and the 1st night we loved him. We sat at a table right across from the stage, so we had Skinny's attention most of the 2 nights we were there. The last night he even came to our table and spent his break shooting the sh--. That was a treat in itself. As for Belize in general, I would like to go again sometime, but like to experience different places, so off to the unknown for us on our next trip.

I thinks this point of view is critical to hear. Though I'm one of the converted, and think AC is just the right pace for me, I know that others will not agree. I've been asked for recommendation on Belize before, and I've always first asked enough questions to know if they would like it there or not. What do they expect in a hotel? What do they expect for beaches? What do they expect for night life? What do they expect for restaurant optoins?

What can be seen as a slow, relaxed pace for some, could easily be seen as a slow, boring pace for others. For me, the fun nightlife of some vacation spots is too crazy and crowded. I end up needing a vacation from my vacation. On the other hand, I usually return from my AC trips completed rested and rejuvinated.

Like others have said before me on this topic, to each his own. We all just need to be clear on what AC is and what it isn't. Let's just hope we all find a great place to escape and enjoy ourselves for our vacations! Jono, I hope your next vacation is more to your liking! Thanks for your honesty! - Laura

My sister's husband wants to travel to Belize.
I have suggested he go with me and my family, and leave my sister at home. I know her well, and Belize is not for her, she would be miserable. She hates to walk, and is not a beach or water person, therefore just not enough shopping and such for her to fill her time with.
She has agreed, after I explained what a perfect vacation for me is like in Belize.

Dare To Deviate
I hear you Chloe! The last people I want in Belize is my family (sister & parents). They would hate it. I always have been the black sheep....

B
B
When I read the first post, I thought to myself, boy, this guy is really going to get blasted for saying these things. I see these things happen on other boards all the time, and the threads end up getting deleted because they get so nasty. But, (so far) I was wrong. Those who disagreed did so respectfully. This is why I like this forum and keep coming back.

Just my two cents...

I agree. I saw an honest opinion, and no blasting. AC is not for everyone. neither is Paris or Grand Cayman or Cancun.
I met a couple last year sitting around the pool at Paradise Villas (older couple, apparently American but originally from Yugoslavia or some such country) that were totally disenchanted with AC. Exact words were "squalid" and "expensive". This puzzled me even more when they said they normally vacationed in the Mexican interior. No accounting for taste I guess.
My first trip, the cab ride from the airport through town to Paradise Villas, my mind did make the comment, what the hell did I get myself into? That lasted less than a day. :rolleyes:

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
I don't know why this guy's post is creating all these responses. It seems to me that his comments were pretty accurate about the beaches and pricing etc on AC. The only thing that surprises me is the fishing and snorkle guides. I rarely here many complaints on them. But with all the new ones, I guess one might expect a complaint once and a while. What confuses me is the complaint about the "first mate" being a female. I usually have to pay extra for that. Good first mates, or as those of us very experienced in the sport of fishing refer to as "master baiters", are hard to find.
In all seriousness it appears to me that if the proper research was done ahead of time ( there has been ample discussion on this board concerning the beaches and pricing on AC ) Jono probably would have vacationed elsewhere.
I would still like to know who his fishing guide was for future reference.

I think it's good to have diversity -- in opinions as much as anything else.

My perspective on Jono's comments on San Pedro are just this:

* He (I'm assuming) seems to have gone with some of the most expensive places -- Banyan Bay and Elvi's are two he mentioned. Banyan Bay is terrific, but you could stay at any number of places for half the cost there, or at Ruby's or Lili's for a sixth or an eighth of the cost. Ditto Elvi's -- you can eat very well in San Pedro at Los Cocos, Antojitos Santelmo, Papi's, etc. for a fraction of what you pay at Elvi's. So the comments on cost I think have to take that into account.

* The weather probably played a factor in Jono's reaction to Belize. Dreary, wet and cool weather often makes a destination less appealing than it would be otherwise, and vice-versa for great weather. When its overcast and cloudy, even the beautiful Caribbean can look gray and uninviting -- sunshine makes a big difference!

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I think this world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. I totally agree with Bobber about the comment that AC isn't for everyone, but other destinations fall into the same catagory.

My wife & I happen to love Grand Cayman because of the beautiful beaches, awesome diving & snorkeling, great dining, and friendly people. But there are hoards of people that can't stand GC because of being built up and somewhat americanized. Being that we love snorkeling, fishing, diving, and some decent dining oppurtunities, we are excited to try AC for the first time this year.

The way I look at it, with all the information made available to us via the internet, shame on you if you didn't do your homework (before) you go on vacation somewhere. I am fully aware of the beach situation on AC, and the layed back atmosphere. But I doubt the restaurants will seem very expensive after dining in the Caymans...trust me!! I'm sure the beaches are much better on other islands, but we aren't comming to AC for the beach.

Bottom line is do a little (or a lot in my case) homework/research before spending a bunch of hard earned dough on vacation. Unfortunately, some folks choose to learn the hard way. I very much appreciate the honesty of the original post.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.