Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#61339 01/14/03 01:53 PM
C
CyaBye Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My flight is book, my hotel arrangements are confirmed, and I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I'll be staying at Banana Beach from February 24th to March 26th. I'm coming down all by my lonesome (40s male from Minnesota) so any one, or group looking to "adopt" a "stray" for trips to the mainland or elsewhere let me know or look me up. I'm a first timer to Ambergris Caye so I could use some help learning the ropes. Or if you just want to get together and talk "Minnesotan" that would be great too.

Joe

#61340 01/14/03 03:08 PM
As a fellow Minnesotan, I congratulate you on your wise choice for a vacation. As far as being solo, don't worry a bit. The majority of folks you will meet in the bars and tours are also tourists, and they are quite a friendly and outgoing lot. You should pick up some friends in no time if you wish. As far as the "ropes" go, not much to tell. Walk along the beach and if you feel a tug toward a bar or shop or tour outfit, just walk on in, everything is pretty loosely organized and there is no pressure. If you are the only one at the bar, talk to the bartender. Most of them are quite proud of their island and willing to talk your arm off. Check the board for favorite eating and drinking spots, check the maps for a general location, or just ask somebody. The downtown map makes things look a lot farther apart than they really are. Don't worry about strolling in single, your money is just as good as anyone elses laugh
Check with the tourist booth in the square if you have any specific tours or anything you might like to see while you are there. Most of the tour operators put on a very good day for the buck.
Good Rum, definitely drink some Belikin. If you are a beer drinker, have them deliver a case to your room before you get there (if there is a fridge). Don't be afraid of trying different fish dishes, the snapper and grouper, stewed, fried or whatever is a real treat. Snorkel or dive Hol Chan. If you are a diver, or more adventurous, go out further, it is worth the trip. If you need some nighlife, check withg the locals to see where everything is.
Most of all, just don't worry. If you forget spomething, no problem. If it is necessary, you can find it. You can do as much or as little as you want with great ease. The only downside I can see is no lobster. I think conch may be out of season also. Other than that, have fun. Apparently you have more time down there than most of us, so it won't take you long to get out of the rat race. Island time is a good think.
Give us the rundown when you get back.
Unfortunately, I don't get to go this year. mad

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#61341 01/14/03 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, you are arriving just before I leave. Still, we could try and hook up and see if I can't help get you started. Let's talk more about it when the dates get closer.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#61342 01/14/03 05:42 PM
G
G
Oh sure, cyabye, as a single 40's (former)MN transplanted to TX 2 mos ago--rub it in! If you want to do some snorkeling/fishing/bar-hopping, go see Tulu on the Coral Beach dock. Tell him you're from MN (he is frequently seen wearing purple apparel) and he'll take great care of you!

#61343 01/14/03 07:34 PM
D
DJH Offline
D
We are also from MN. Will be there from Feb 3 to March 3. Come to the chiken drop on Wednesday (Pier Lounge)

#61344 01/15/03 10:40 AM
C
CyaBye Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Bobber,
Thanks for the advice, I understand the concept of "Island Time," so I suspect roughly 10 minutes after I arrive I'll be just above an idle. At that point I'll have a Belikin, and toast you and all the other unfortunate Minnesotans freezing their butts off, by the way, sorry to hear you had to miss the sun, sand and rum this year.

Seashell,
I'll look forward to chatting as the time grows close.

Govikes,

The devil made me do it (rub it in;) I'll look up Tulu on the Coral Beach dock and tell him you sent me.

Magoo,

I'll come to the chicken drop on Wednesday (Pier Lounge). When you see a follicley challenged slightly overweight middle aged guy with a beard and a big SH** eating grin on his face, that would be me.

Joe

#61345 01/15/03 10:59 AM
O
O
Joe,
You could also find Tulu at Coconuts,let him tell you about our scuba diving adventure, one of his favorite stories shocked ! if he is not on the dock. Or someone from Bananas could contact him.

Have a great trip!You are so lucky one month cool , I did three weeks last year,two weeks at Christmas and going back again in May for two weeks laugh and for some reason it still does not seem like enough time.

Jackie

#61346 01/15/03 07:16 PM
D
DJH Offline
D
OK CyaBye
Are you sure you are going to keep the beard?

#61347 01/15/03 09:09 PM
C
CyaBye Offline OP
OP Offline
C
magoo,
Right now, at my age there is one thing I know for sure, (never trust a fart!) and two things I'm relatively sure of, I'll still have my short grey(ing) beard, and I'll be at the chicken drop on Wednesday.

#61348 01/15/03 10:44 PM
Cyabye and Magoo
I will be looking for ya'
The 1st ones on me.

Jim
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.