Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M2B Offline OP
OP Offline
We are planning our vacation for May 1st in AC, and I have spent quite some time looking at places to stay and reading the posts here on the forum. Our initial choice was Captain Morgans, but in reading some of the posts I am becoming a bit apprehensive about this choice, so I am coming to those of you here on the forum for a little direction if possible.

What we are looking for is a "cabana" style resort or possibly a private home rental with air conditioning on the ocean front to spend our vacation at. From what I have found, other than Captain Morgan's, the only other I have came across was Ramons, are there any others that are individual cabanas? We would really like to find a place that is not "packed in" with others, meaning the person next door can hear you sneeze, we would like a little seclusion if at all possible. I know this may be a "pie in the sky" dream, but worth a shot! smile

What are you thoughts on renting a home there for a week? I have come across 3 or 4 rental houses on AC but not knowing the area am not really sure if this would be the way to go.

And lastly, and this may be a silly question, but can you swim right off the beach? The reason I ask is that most I have come across mention swimming "off the dock", and not many mention swimming from the beach.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me on this!

M2B

S
S
Not too knowledgeable about cabana resorts, other than Ramon's. Good idea to inquire about distance between cabanas. If you want more privacy, a house may be closer to your liking. A popular house south of town is Casa Tortuga; Caye Management (Mary Hawthorne) rents houses; both have links under "Goods & Services" above. The sea bottom just off the beach most everywhere is soft sand, a little yucky, with turtle grass growing in most places. That is why people usually swim off docks. The plus is that the turtle grass is great for wildlife for that ecosystem. Happy trip - you'll have a great time!

What about Xanadu? I know they are a bit different but wouldn't that property seem to have what these people are after?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

some places you can swim off the beach, most all off the piers...

i'd say at least peek at some of the homes listed on the lodging page. We loving staying in a big house full of food, furniture, bikes, beach, floaties for the water. theres something to be said for a fully stocked home.

L
L
I, too, am very confused. I would like to have a room with bath on the beach for a month. I just want to sit and read and think, maybe loll in the water awhile. Ability to go for nice dinners would be good. Clean & Cheapest are priority. Why have I never read anything about Hideawau Sports Lodge, which seemed to meet my criteria, when I located it on the website? Am I dreaming this is a possibility? confused

Ladyauberge
Lady,
We have stayed at the Conch Shell over many years and Lily's is right next door, Both are cheap, on the beach. The Conch Shell has a wonderful porch upstairs. Great view of the school children, people & fisherman, water, boats & sunrise!
We usually get a room with a fridge and save $$$ on beverages & snacks. My favorite breakfast is at Estel's a stroll down to the center of town, Lily's is a geat stop for food also.
San Pedrano Market right around the corner. Amigos Del Mar dive shop is out front, rent our fins and we're in the water right there. Fish and other creatures are under the dock.
Walk down the beach almost anywhere town.
Belize it!

M2B Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Marty:
some places you can swim off the beach, most all off the piers...

i'd say at least peek at some of the homes listed on the lodging page. We loving staying in a big house full of food, furniture, bikes, beach, floaties for the water. theres something to be said for a fully stocked home.
Thanks Marty! We are seriously considering renting one of the homes there. My main concern now is not many mention air conditioning. Is the temp and humidity a problem at night? Would a/c be necessary? We are from Arkansas and are used to high temps and humidity, but would really like to be comfortable while on vacation cool

We are also open to any suggestions on homes as well since we are unfamiliar with the area. I have contacted Caye Mgt. but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for any input!
M2B

May is one of the warmest months in Belize. You should look for a home with air-conditioned bedrooms. Most homes have living areas that open up to the sea breeze. It is expensive to have central air in a rental home, so often you will find that only the bedrooms have air conditioners. Make sure you ask.

D
D
M2B,
We just got back from AC yesterday. Captain Morgan's is on the north side of the channel a couple of miles from town via a bumpy road. Ramon's is on the south side within 10 min. walk of town. We stayed at Xanadu and enjoyed it although it is really Geodomes w/thatched roofs. It was nice and private w/free kayaks and bikes. Last time we were there we stayed at Victoria House which has casitas but is a little pricey. Xanadu does have a full kitchen in their units. They are doing some construction but I would guess it'll be almost done by May. It seems that there are lots of rental homes on the north but I think the real flavor of AC (especially your first visit) is on the south side.

my opinion: i stayed in cabanas at ramons ('93) and journey's end ('00) and i think they are HIGHLY overrated. (didnt i post this same topic last month?). they are small, hot (even with A/C) and we could not keep the sand out. they were a little buggy & one had a crab. they look cool from the outside, but i didnt really enjoy them.

in '02, we stayed in a condo at caribe island (way south & secluded) and the condo was great. A/C, kitchen, cable tv, pool with bar/grille, and the ocean 20 steps out my door.

again, just my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.