Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
Hey... Beth and I just returned from our 10 glorious days of vacation in AC and I have plans to document our time there, but there is one great piece of advice that was passed on to us at the end of our stay that I would like to quickly share with other travelers.

Everyone on the island is wonderfully open and friendly, but there are a few folks that were offering some unwanted attention. We struggled for days trying to get one person in particular to leave us alone. Then, one night in Fido's we get to chatting with a man by the name of Stuart. He is a Psychology Professor at the local Medical School. He explained that respect is a big thing for the locals on the island, and therefore we could leverage that. He suggested that if could get heard if we say something like... "you are not respecting me or my space."

The next night, we got a chance to try it out. Someone was being a bit too friendly, so I said, "Hey, no disrespect, but I'm just trying to talk with my friend here." He didn't love it, but he backed away. So... keep this handy tip in mind. Use the word "respect" and you may be more successful. It may come in handy on the few occasions that you need it.

Enjoy your stay!!

P.S. If anyone knows how to contact Stuart (otherwise known as "Doc"), we would really appreciate. Like I mentioned above, he is a Psychology professor at the Medical School. Beth and I would really like to get back in touch with him. Thanks!

Welcome back Laura! I can't wait to hear more about your vacation.

E
E
RI... What did this Stuart "Doc" look like?

What happened to my beer?

I've been using that "respect" line in Jamaica for years - it really works. Good to hear it is useful in AC too!

That tip is going to come in very handy. Thanks so much.

Last time I was there, a fella would NOT leave me alone. It didn't matter who I was with (men, women, children), who I was talking to, what time of day it was, where we were, whatever ((middle of day walking down street with a mom and child), he was in my face. I asked him many many times to leave me alone. In fact, the very first time he came up to me, I said "If I were a fisherman and you were a fish, you are so little, I'd have to throw you back" (me meaning he was QUITE young). Still he came on.

Very near the end of my holiday after weeks of this, I was sitting one quiet afternoon at Cholo's having one beer. Martin (works at Cholo's) came over and was sitting with me, we were having a laconic conversation when along comes the fellow. He was leaning over me, smearing it on as usual. I said "Leave me alone, just leave me alone!" He said "Why?" and I said "Because" in a frustrated voice. He said "That's a compound word" I had to laugh and then said "how come you know because is a compound word but you can't figure out the meaning of please leave me alone?" Martin said, "hey, what's the matter with you, didn't you hear the lady ask you to leave her alone?" Still, he just went on and on. I did not make eye contact but I guess I must have said something else to him though I can't remember it being more than "Go away, leave me alone" Suddenly Martin gets up from the table. I thought he was going to physically shoo the guy off but no. He just walked away. Finally, I got rid of the fellow and Martin came back. I asked him what's up with that? He said, well, you kept talking to him. I said "What? You mean I have to not speak to the guy at all?!" And Martin replied "Yes, if you don't want the guys to bother you, you must not speak to them AT ALL" I said "Well, I'll have to figure out some other way, because I don't come down here so that I have to be rude."

So using the "Respect" word might work very well, since I know that "Doc" is absolutely right about the San Pedrano's regard for being respected.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
Pedro1: We found you that one day at your internet bar, and assumed we would run into you at BC's or the likes. But, no luck. Next thing we knew it was our last day of vacation! So sorry! I'll have to pay you back some other way... ideas??

I was actually disappointed (should I be with human nature)as you wanted me to do something,which I did,and I am not the most diffficult person to find-so do I believe you-hate to say this, but the answer is no(ps where did you send your emails from).

Come on Pedro, don't you remember what it was like to be on vacation? Time slips away, things that were meant to be done don't get done and then it's suddenly time to go home. It was all too short.

Each time I've returned to San Pedro, I've stayed longer than the time before because there were things that I wanted to do and I believed more time would help me get them done, but no . . .I've still not done 90% of the extra things on my list. Maybe this time, they'll get done because I'm staying for a *shorter* time. wink

By the way, we can debate this and any number of other subjects on Wednesday night, when I arrive at your cafe to start taking advantage of my winnings. Or maybe it will be Thursday . . or Friday . . .hmmm, well, anyway for now, the plan is for Wednesday so we'll see what happens.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Seashell and Chloe tried to meet on AC for several days, and never did. Just played message tag. But we will meet one day.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.