Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#63953 03/02/03 07:28 AM
OP Offline
Since I have never been really out of the US I was wondering what Customs is all about. What do they look for and what can you bring. Example such as can you bring wine or some food items with you or will they confiscate them

Brenda
#63954 03/02/03 10:17 AM
Most the time in Belize they just look at your passport, ask where you are staying and that's it.
You then pick up your luggage and then go through customs and get in the line that you aren't declaring anything if you aren't bringing anything in. They look at your papers and usually just let you on through.
Most countries do not want you to bring in food and especially fruit. Things like crackers or something like that I think are ok. I've had some cookies I picked up at the airport since they don't feed you on the planes much anymore and totally forgot I had them but no one checked my bags either.
They will also look to see if the baggage matches your stay. In other words, if you are one person staying one week and are bringing 3 large bags they will probably question what you have in them and check them. If you have one bag and one carry one you will probably be ok.
As for the wine, You might be ok with one bottle but I'm not entirely certain on that. You can check the US State Department Travel and Warnings Site and I think it will tell you what you can bring in.
My problems with customs have always been coming back to the US from Jamaica. A single woman who has been there several times seems to set them off. Coming back though usually same thing. They check your documents, maybe ask you a few questions, maybe not, you pick up your bag and go through customs where they look at your papers and what you wrote down that you are bringing back and maybe let you through, maybe check your bags. Bottom line...don't have any drugs, not sure about the cuban cigars, or drug paraphenalia on you and you should be fine even if they check your bags. It's not that big of a deal, but just like all customs officials most of them seem a little gruff. Hope this helps some.

#63955 03/02/03 10:35 AM
O
O
Gee,Kathy, is it really that easy to get through customs? wink

:rolleyes: 2.5 hours, a little bribery and 200 bucks, that would be American dollars, and a backpack they did not even go through, thank goodness!!!

But, I made it. smile

Next time I guess will travel in my tourist gear, straw hat, flowery-islandy shirt,new sandles with band-aids where they already left blisters,oh yes, of course, Lans book ,San Pedro Cool with my highlighter in hand!!! cool

Jackie

#63956 03/02/03 01:39 PM
OP Offline
I have looked at www.customs.gov and cant find any listing of what can be brought in. ANyone have any other suggestions on how to find this out or has any one brought food or wine in before

Brenda
#63957 03/02/03 01:48 PM
O
O
I snuck it in, it was in the backpack.

Exemptions from Duties and Taxes

The laws of Belize provides for exemptions from duties and taxes for items imported as accompanied baggage of a passenger that includes:

1) Wearing apparel, jewelry, toilet requisites and any portable article reasonably expected to be carried by him for his own private and personal use, and in the case of a passenger eighteen years old and over;
Wines or spirits not exceeding one litre in all and
Tobacco, not exceeding 250 grams or
Cigars, not exceeding fifty, in number, or
Cigarettes, not exceeding Two Hundred in number
Goods to the aggregate of BZ $200.00 through and International Airport (BZ$50.00 at other entry points) belonging to a Belizean passenger (including a passenger under eighteen years old) which accompany that passenger and were acquired abroad by him for his personal use or as souvenirs or gifts and admitted as such by the Comptroller of Customs.
Provided that:-

(a) A passenger shall not be entitled to the exemption granted above in respect of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products in excess of the quantities specified in those shown above.
(b) A passenger returning from a visit to a neighboring border town or city shall not be entitled to the exemption granted above in respect of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

(c) A passenger may claim an allowance through an International Airport twice a year and once a month through other points of entry.

web page

Jackie

#63958 03/02/03 02:01 PM
relative to fruits & veggies:

http://www.customs.gov.bz/duty04.html

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#63959 03/02/03 07:47 PM
The Belize Customs form asks if you are bringing in any plants, fruits, vegetables, meats, live animals?
If you check yes you go to the items to declare line and an agricultural official will come and check what you have.
Just like coming back into the US you are allowed no fresh fruits or vegetables. All carrot sticks, oranges, banana's, apples, celery etc. will be confiscated from you.
Any fresh meats such as bacon, hot dogs, luncheon meat, steaks you can bring in but they must have the USDA seal of approval plus you must obtain a permit from Belmopan before you arrive. This can be done via fax but you must also pay a fee.
(Really not worth the time and effort anymore to do this).
You are allowed however to bring in what is considered processed food or canned. This would include tuna fish, peanut butter, canned fruits and vegetables, mayo, mustared, catsup etc.
There are rules and regulations that come into effect for example if you bring ten canned hams you might have more than what they consider case quanity and you could be assessed some duty.

Anymore you are usually asked if you have been to Belize before by the nothing to declare customs official. If you answer no, you are generally passed thru if your baggage does not look excessive. If you answer yes and have very little baggage you generally pass also. If you have alot of baggage its off to the something to declare line to have your stuff looked at. No big deal.
Hope this helps

#63960 03/02/03 08:36 PM
OP Offline
are you with the belizian customs

Do you happen to have a fax number to this place so we can request approval

Brenda
#63961 03/02/03 08:47 PM
Kcbc can answer for herself. But she is not with Customs. Have chatted with her many many times.
She has made this trip very often, and knows all the ins and outs.

Dare To Deviate
#63962 03/02/03 08:49 PM
OP Offline
Thanks. I hope she responds with the fax number or how to get access to the form to get approved before we leave

Brenda
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.