Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64032 03/03/03 11:12 AM
OP Offline
Hi Belize lovers
I'm getting married on April 26, and my "husband" (that sounds so weird!) and I will traveling to Belize for the first time. We're staying at the Maruba Spa Resort on the mainland first, then going to Victoria House for the second half of the trip.
Tons of questions:
Does anyone recommend we bring traveler's checks? Or is U.S. currency okay? I assume there are no ATMs?
Are most credit cards accepted throughout the country? How about AmEx?
Has anyone ever stayed at Maruba? For those who have or who are familiar with the place, are we going to be trapped there for the five-six days we're there, or are there nearby towns/attractions that we can walk to or take a cab to? We actually booked all our activities right through them for most of the time we're there, and left maybe one or two "free" days for non-Maruba stuff.
Also, what night time activity is recommended for "younger" people? I know there are clubs in AC -- does anyone have any specific recommendations for us?
Thanks for any help...
Jessica

#64033 03/03/03 11:26 AM
S
S
Hola and happy honeymoon and marriage!

>Does anyone recommend we bring traveler's checks? Or is U.S. currency okay? I assume there are no ATMs?<
Either traveler's checks or cash is fine. On AC, you can convert both at the foreign exchange "stores" on front street and receive at least 2.05$Bz per 1$US - a little better than the 2.0$Bz businesses will give you. Never seen any ATM's in country that accept US cards.

>Are most credit cards accepted throughout the country? How about AmEx?<
I know Visa and Mastercard are well accepted by resorts, most stores and the larger restaurants. Cash needed for small stores, fruit stands and small restaurants. Don't know about AmEx.

No knowledge for your other questions, but surely other people will chime in. Happy trip...

#64034 03/03/03 11:27 AM
J
J
Hello scubajess426,

Regarding monies, you should bring both US cash and traveller's checks. Perhaps, small bills in cash ($1, $5, $10, $20) and larger denominations in traveller's checks ($50, $100, etc.) In AC they take both forms, but they will most likely give you change in Belizean dollars.

There are ATMs on the island, but none serve US banks which I am aware...only Belizean banks.

Yes, most credit cards are accepted in AC. I'm not sure about Amex. But, if you use your credit card, there sometimes is a surcharge. But, whenever I go, I ALWAYS use my credit card which allows me to bring less cash. smile

Don't know about Maruba...sorry.

Regarding clubs at night, I recommend beginning your evenings at Fido's (my favorite spot), then continue to clubs - barefoot iguana's, jaguars, etc. You should look at the main web page for additional info. It's fun for young folks..I'm young too! and I love AC.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
JohnnyK. laugh :rolleyes: smile cool

I'm returning to San Pedro soon...about 2 weeks away!!! Can't wait!
#64035 03/03/03 04:15 PM
I stayed at Maruba spa for several nights back in 2001. I think they can arrange a taxi for you if you need. There's a bus that goes into Belize City that might be interesting to take. They also have a shuttle back and forth from BZE several times a day. You might be able to catch a ride in to town on one of them. I would also say, take time to enjoy the resort. It's so peaceful just sitting in the pool or hot spa. I think there's a nature walk also. the food is wonderful and don't forget to try the Viper Rum!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#64036 03/04/03 12:40 PM
OP Offline
thanks so much everyone for all the useful advice.
I just want to be as prepared as I can be to ensure a perfect honeymoon!!

Another question for you guys -- how much of the clothes we pack should be in the event of cooler weather? Will we need long pants, a jacket, etc.?

#64037 03/04/03 01:00 PM
Always good to take one pair of long pants, and a windbreaker, just incase. If cool, you can layer up under. If space is a problem in bag, wear long pants on plane.

Windbreaker is good on long boat rides, if you are on the wrong side of the boat.

Dare To Deviate

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.