Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#64291 03/07/03 02:51 PM
OP Offline
Hello, I'm new too the message board. Our family has been planning a trip to Belize, AC actully and were wondering when would be the best time to come, and also what the place is like from someone who's been there.

Thank You

confused

#64292 03/07/03 10:41 PM
Welcome to our home away from home...

I found the locals careing and very friendly. Always a smile and a wave. The island was like a small oasis of peace and tranquil hard working folks. Most have lost everything more than once and value interpersonal relationships over material things. I always felt welcome where ever I went, very unlike home. I felt more comfortable sitting with a local at 5am watching the sunrise than any other place I've ever been.

If your looking for a relaxing vacation, can do without 5 star white glove service and enjoy simple things, AC will not dissapoint you.

I like April for my trip...after easter, but the weather can be if'y. My last trip it was perfect....Others have gotten rain on and off. It's an island so weather changes by the hour.

I always felt safe..always... Unlike several other countries I've been to. Belize City is alittle more challengeing but if your aware you'll be fine.
If in doubt ask questions here, try to be specific, as you'll find a wealth of opinions and views. This group who post regularly have answered all my curious questions without a hint of reservation.
If you go...you might never want to leave. Wishful thinking for most of us.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#64293 03/07/03 10:53 PM
We were all new once!
Don't worry too much, you can't get too laid back in this place. Sounds to me like you're in for a new and rewarding personal experience!
Just kick back and go with the flow, you will be suprized.
Richard wink

#64294 03/07/03 11:11 PM
I
I
I completely agree...
My first trip was with my daughter (grown) last May. There was never a time we felt unsafe or uncomfortable. I don't think one person passed us without a greeting or smile. That took some getting used to after living in Calif. forever.
We got a few yells from some guys working on houses, but that was it. Not crude or demeaning in any way. And it stopped with that. Ok, one really young boy, maybe 12, wanted to hold my daughters hand. She smiled at him and said "maybe in a few years" and he ran off down the beach giggling.
Being female traveling alone can be a challange in some countries, but not in Belize. We went to many areas of Belize and the story was the same. Respect and kindness from everyone.
The only "problem" we encountered on that three week adventure was in DFW airport! Go figure...
May was perfect. A little warm when the breeze died down but over all just fine.
We had no problem with bugs but had bug juice just in case.
Overall Belize is a perfect place for a "family" vacation. Or whatever type of vacation you want.
And I am with Axeman... sunrise is the most incredible experience. I have pictures of sunrise at Robert's Grove in Placencia that take my breath away every time I look at them.
It helps that my daughter is a professional photographer and SHE took them!
Hope you have a great experience...
cool

#64295 03/08/03 08:48 AM
S
S
The town is still rather quaint; the people are happy, friendly and genuine; the island has many miles of undeveloped shoreline; the water color and clarity are incredible; the reef is home to so much wildlife right in front of your face; the water activities are varied and so enjoyable (snorkeling, diving, fishing, parasailing, birding on isolated islands, windsurfing, sailing); the local food in local restaurants is delicious in taste and price; we especially enjoy May & June - all seasons have tropical days with the risk of some front passing through any one week; have a great family trip!

#64296 03/08/03 06:00 PM
OP Offline
Thank You all very much for your great insight into AC. I hope that my trip will be as fun and exciting as all or yours.
Thanks again.

Mike

#64297 03/08/03 07:29 PM
N
N
Hello Islenutt - I'm so glad to hear of a solo woman's experience since that's how I'm coming to Belize and AC in less than two week and I's so hyped! Thank you smile

#64298 03/08/03 07:34 PM
O
O
I also travel solo and would not have it any other way. AC is great and you will have a great time, cuz you will not be solo for very long. Everyone is great and there is no need to worry, plus it is very safe, as long as you use common sense. Have a great trip and enjoy yourself!!!
Jackie smile

#64299 03/08/03 10:43 PM
I
I
nameste - You will have a great time. Of all the places I have traveled, alone or not, Belize has been the most comfortable. The fact that everyone speaks English is good for me as my Spanish sucks. The exchange rate is simple. And like Jackie says - you will meet all sorts of interesting people.
The common sense things are just what you would normally do (and NOT do) anywhere.
How long are you staying? Are you planning on staying in AC only?
Be sure to post your adventures when you get back.
And take lots of pictures.
laugh

#64300 03/09/03 08:12 PM
M
M
Wonderful that you are going. You will love it. We favor February and March, so we can get away from cold Midwest winters, but my guess its fine anytime. Never felt unsafe there. Did meet two girls, traveling alone this time, who said two boys ran into them. They felt it was an attempt to get their fanny packs. It was late at night, so, that may or may not be the case. Check out one of the smaller hotels to get the flavor of the Caye. My favorite is Paradise Resort Hotel. You get the feel of the real old time Belize there, and its quite the bargain. Have a great trip. Marie

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.