Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65749
04/05/03 08:12 PM
04/05/03 08:12 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
OK Daylon, I got a bit confused. Is your only day of diving going to be the Blue Hole trip? I don't recommend that unless you two are avid divers and have been diving within the week or so. If you aren't avid divers, at least do a couple of local dives before you go to the Blue Hole. Also, keep in mind you have to be up around 5:00 am for that trip, so try not to pick a day after a big party night. And if you only have 4 days, you'll want to make sure that there is good weather. The diving can still be great if the weather isn't good, but the trip and island lunch aren't that enjoyable when the weather is bad, so I don't think it would be worth it.

However, when the weather is good, it is an awesome way to spend a day. Amigo's has the comfy boat with a good head. The trip out is usually a bit quiet as people are just starting to wake up and get to know each other. Go up top too and spend some time. If the weather is good and seas aren't high, get the captain to explain the GPS and all the other gizmos. At lunch, do go over to the booby bird look out but don't spend a bunch of time there. When you leave the lookout, take the trail to the right, which brings you out on the beach on the other side of the island. If it's not too hot, you can walk all the way on that far side back to where you left the boat. It is so cool and can feel like you are the only people on earth, when on that side. Lots of people don't see it because they are not adventurous enough to take the path less travelled. (watch you don't twist your ankle though)

Then on the way home, you can have Belikin's or panty-rippers and sunbathe out on the front of the boat. If you are lucky you'll see some dolphins or some whales. If you aren't lucky, you will probably still see some flying fish.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65750
04/05/03 09:17 PM
04/05/03 09:17 PM
Daylon Offline OP

Daylon  Offline OP
Yup...I had planned a full day Blue Hole package...I think they do Blue Hole in the morning, then a couple of other dives in the afternoon. Since it's supposed to be one of the "wonders" of the diving world...it'd be a shame to miss it. (Although I'm Advanced Open and Rescue certified - I'm worried about my buddy with his "island certification". So maybe doing a one tank dive early in the trip might not be a bad idea to get reacquainted with everything...

What about fishing? I'm assuming Ramon's can handle anything we want to do....

Thanks again for all the good info Seashell..you've got two free bannana coladas on me...

Daylon

- - { Never Play Leap Frog With a Unicorn } - -
Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65751
04/05/03 09:54 PM
04/05/03 09:54 PM
jackson,mississippi
kevin mac Offline

kevin mac  Offline
this comes from kevin macdonalds girlfriend-trust me, stay at RAMONES!!! COOL PLACE,STUMBLE HOME, BUT WHO SAID SOMETHING ABOUT SOME DRINK CALLED "PANTY RIPPERS"????? AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE WHEN I GO BACK IN APRIL??? SHERRY

kevin macdonald
Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65752
04/05/03 09:55 PM
04/05/03 09:55 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
Thanks for the offer of the drinks, Daylon, but that's unnecessary. I think you can tell that I love talking about this stuff.

As for the Blue Hole, I'm wondering if your friend with his island cert will enjoy it at all. Lots of people don't. They just consider it a "been there, done that" sort of dive, dark, deepish and not much to see and a very short bottom time. Me, I love it, especially if the sharks show up. The idea that I'm somewhere that used to be underground during the iceage, just fascinates me.

Talk to the DMs early on the way out. Make sure that you and your buddy get into the last group to descend into the Hole. That way you have more likelihood of seeing the sharks. The people in the first group don't always see them since the sharks haven't risen up yet from the depths.

Take your flashlight with you and maybe you will find some little chambers in the wall. Not too long ago, I shone my flashlight on one of the sharks. He didn't like that much or maybe he liked it too much. Anyway, he came over and checked me out. Waaaaaayyyyyy tooo close for my comfort. I mean touching distance. Yikes. Thank heaven's I was a bit narced or I'd have really been scared. smile Instead, I came out of the water after the dive, yelling "Again, again, I want to do it again" LOL

I've done the Blue Hole 5 or 6 times. And the two followup dives are generally pretty fabulous.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65753
04/05/03 11:28 PM
04/05/03 11:28 PM
Falls Church VA
Axeman Offline

Axeman  Offline
I agree about Blue Hole...please be safe and make sure your friend does at least ONE dive to get in the groove. It's a very deep dive and can be a bit scarey for someone on their first dive.
I've been diving for 20 years with over 200 dives and I felt a bit pressed at first. That was after 4 days of dives. I do not regret doing this dive. The following dives are sweet!
Have a great time...be humble...enjoy the people.

I never felt threatened...ever...and I went to the "backside" where the real folks live. Always got a smile from those I met, and a wave.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65754
04/06/03 04:33 AM
04/06/03 04:33 AM
Daylon Offline OP

Daylon  Offline OP
Okay..

We've got the scuba thing out of the way...what about fishing? I understand that you can go deep sea / reef / or flats fishing.... I'm a complete novice about serious fishing of any kind... any one can give me some advice?

Daylon

- - { Never Play Leap Frog With a Unicorn } - -
Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65755
04/06/03 05:03 AM
04/06/03 05:03 AM
M
Marie Offline

Marie  Offline
M
Hi Seashell! I think we are both, while not employed as travel agents, travel agents at the heart!

Speaking of the blue hole..........As I mentioned to you before, as much diving as I've done, I haven't tried it because of the usual problems with my ears. If, following your good advice, I get them cleared better before I dive and feel it would be worthwhile, and if one has plenty of time, would you suggest going on just a one or two day trip, or staying longer in the area? Remember I like the out-of-the-way kind of places. Thanks, you are a wealth of information!

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65756
04/06/03 07:46 AM
04/06/03 07:46 AM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
Marie, if you get past your ear problems, I think you'd love staying out at the Atolls for a few days. I looked into it last time even though I like a night life, but I could give it up for a few evenings to be that close to the great diving. In the end, it was a money thing that decided it for me.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65757
04/06/03 07:51 AM
04/06/03 07:51 AM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
I'm not into fishing but here's what Capt Jeff had to say a couple of days ago in a thread about the Aquamarine Suites, etc.

"call beach o great reef guide about $170 . us for half a day 200 .full day inc soda ,water full day you can have a beach lunch great deal plus tip about 20 to 30 us .his home no# 011 501 6067036 call after 6pm he has all the tackel just bring sun screen ,if you want to stop to snorkel tell him to take you to a reef he will bring a small ladder bring or rent you own gear if you can not reach him call me 1 800 231 7447 at my work toll free ask for jeff also ask me about aqua marina I will try to help also what dates are you going ????? "

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II #65758
04/06/03 09:34 AM
04/06/03 09:34 AM
M
Marie Offline

Marie  Offline
M
Thanks Seashell! Where on the atolls would you suggest. Re $$$ most of the places I've seen talk about being there a good week, and I don't want to do that. We'd like just two or three nights, my guess is. Any PRH type places out that way...I doubt it. You know I'm into travel, so have checked, but haven't located any myself yet.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 322 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,773
Posts484,606
Members19,738
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.