Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65853
04/05/03 06:26 PM
04/05/03 06:26 PM
Massachusetts
Lizzard Offline OP

Lizzard  Offline OP
Hey all,
Thanks for the feedback.
This was not a horrible trip, by no means. We were able to bounce back from each adventure, glad we went, like Chloe said "Been there, done that."

Marie:
Yes, we all enjoy different things, thank goodness.
I'ts all good...

Seashell:
The Dr, said conjunctivitis is very common on AC.
He, his wife and kids had it the week prior. He said strong breezes blowing bacteria around can cause it and quite possibly from the strays.

Capt Jeff:
Lucky you...I could not describe my adventure any other way.

Mel S:
I can appreciate San Pedro for it's own unique beauty, I got my fill in one trip. No complaints about the residents, great experiences with them.

Bill:
Believe it or not - we did have a good time. Minus the shit.

Pedro:
No pool.
Scheduled to be in sometime in Feb, but never made it. But there is a hole...

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65854
04/06/03 05:07 PM
04/06/03 05:07 PM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
"They were on the golf cart in the rain/cold/70 mph winds!!!"........... 70 MPW WINDS???? HMMMMMMM eek

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65855
04/06/03 05:32 PM
04/06/03 05:32 PM
M
Marie Offline

Marie  Offline
M
Yes, Mel has it right. Belize is not, and hopefully never will be Aruba, for those of us who love her as she is. God knows, I'm probably more of a 'rough travel' gal than some of us on this post, I've certainly got chewed on some of my suggestions, but the good news.......you can do anything there. I said on somebody else's post the other day..you can go from $30 or $40 a night to $400 for a room. Food...a few bucks to $100 per person. But, Heads Up Here, this is not the place for people who really NEED froo-froo. There are froo-froo places, but ultimately, you are going to walk down the streets of San Pedro. If you don't like quirky old buildings and some quirky people, then you are not going to be happy. If you have the spirit of adventure, then I could not suggest a better place, but it's not for everyone.

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65856
04/06/03 05:34 PM
04/06/03 05:34 PM
Pedro1 Offline
Pedro1  Offline
Hate to say this but last sunday was at least 50mph-ask anyone (like me )who was at BC's-the sand was whipping into ones eyes-all the canvases(protecting the bar) were down and it was still bad -do not forget the winds in october have been recorded over 130mph-or is it "I will only believe if I can put my fingers into the wounds"(that was Thomas)-or is one only allowed to report the good days.
Marie -did the people get what they paid for or what they expected?When one pays for what is advertised by various magazines/guides etc. -is it not fair to expect to get precisely that??

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65857
04/06/03 05:50 PM
04/06/03 05:50 PM
San Pedro Town
Chris Offline
Chris  Offline
I went for a run last Sunday afternoon on the lagoon side of the island down through the DFC housing project, no shelter, open marshland, winds 40mph, with higher gusts. I had no problem running against the wind but I will admit it was more fun when I turned around to run back.

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65858
04/06/03 05:54 PM
04/06/03 05:54 PM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
even 40 - 50 is amazing, though I know it does blow like that and have experienced it there, just thought 70 was a little extreme ( and almost Hurricane force).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65859
04/06/03 06:05 PM
04/06/03 06:05 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
Well, I have to disagree with Marie on what constitutes "froo froo" vs. basic services you are supposed to provide.

All of us who offer accommodations have had things break down with guests present. You never know when the AC is going to die, or the water pump suddenly stop working, or a window handle break, no matter how good a job you do with daily maintenance.

The key is what you do when that happens, especially if the thing that breaks is essential (like running water). When those things happen you are supposed to quickly figure out how to help the guest. For example, If the water tank goes dry, it is up to you to find a place for your guest to shower. Perhaps another room, or even put the guest up at your expense at another hotel for the night til you fix the problem. Another example, if the AC suddenly goes out, immediately bring in a high powered fan as a temporary solution.

Of course, I don't know Lizzard and I have no idea whether he is or isn't exaggerating. But if his description of the first hotel is accurate, he did not get his money's worth.

I don't call hot and cold running water "froo froo." Lizzard does not say how they solved the unfinished shower problem...did the hotel give him another room after the water pump or tank died?

Lizzard mentioned that he had no way to get into the water. Most places on AC have docks with stairs. If the hotel's dock or stairs was broken and there was no way to get in or out of the water without wading through a hundred feet of sea grass on bare feet, the hotel had a duty to inform the guest of that before accepting the reservation. That is not "froo froo" either. (Or if the management did not show the guest around sufficiently so that the guest knows how to get in and out of the water, that is poor service too.)

If the hotel represented that it had a pool and it didn't, that is false advertising. You might consider a pool "froo froo" but if you say you have it and you don't, it is you who are wrong and not the disappointed guest.

I don't know anything about this particular hotel...but I have to agree that if Lizzard has accurately depicted his experiences, the place does not appear to be ready for prime time, and the owner might consider closing for a brief period of repairs and management training, and referring guests elsewhere until its done. (Or at least, close those units that are not functional).

Some guests have unreasonable expectations. Ambergris Caye is not Cancun and nobody should expect it to be. But the attitude that no matter what goes wrong the guest should accept it and be happy because "this is Belize" is not the kind of attitude that creates a viable tourist trade.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65860
04/06/03 07:11 PM
04/06/03 07:11 PM
Massachusetts
Lizzard Offline OP

Lizzard  Offline OP
Susangg:
The running water quit 3 or 4 times. When reported it was fixed-just an inconvenience.

Pier & dock were in tact. My post described the shoreline and being unable to swim from the beach-would have enjoyed that.

The pool. Got an e-mail from Gaz a couple of days prior to my departure giving me the status on the pool (after I asked). So there was no surprise, just disapointment.

Pedro:
I appreciate your imput.

Marie:
You should stop taking it all so personally.

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65861
04/06/03 07:45 PM
04/06/03 07:45 PM
Chicago, Illinois USA
B_b_f_b Offline

B_b_f_b  Offline
respect your honest opinion. Sounds like you liked Banana Beach though.

Re: 10 days in San Pedro #65862
04/06/03 08:11 PM
04/06/03 08:11 PM
Pedro1 Offline
Pedro1  Offline
Lizzard - out of interest I am sure that Gaz offered a discount or something extra for not having the swimming pool ready on time-likewise to the people who rented the penthouse with the private dive boat,and found they had other guests with them

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,478
Posts483,820
Members19,716
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.