10/05/00 12:16 AM
10/05/00 12:16 AM
H
Helen Offline OP

Helen  Offline OP
H
Please, EVERYONE, read this news story about Hurricane Keith:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001004/ts/weather_storms_dc_30.html

It is dated today, and it says only one death in ALL of Belize. I am concerned, however, that it doesn't mention anything about the many people who are still missing. The population of Belize is 250,000 and that doesn't include the many tourists who were also there during the storm. Is it really possible that only one person was killed by such a devastating storm? I sincerely hope that when this whole thing is over, and everyone is found the final number will be just one.

By the way, I do not want anyone to forget that the one life which we know has been lost in Belize was precious, and numbers mean nothing to her loved ones right now. Please keep her family in your prayers.

I am fully aware of the importance of tourism to the economy of Belize, but I don't want ANYTHING or ANYONE to stand in the way of getting answers for those poor souls who are still waiting to receive word that their loved ones have been found and are safe! Please keep us all posted on details of the search for those who are still missing.

THANK YOU!

Re: Media Coverage #6581
10/05/00 07:41 AM
10/05/00 07:41 AM
Ottawa, Canada
K
karin Offline

karin  Offline
K
Still nothing mentionned in Canada (East Coast), but they do talk about hurricane... in Miami ! I am so upset !...

Re: Media Coverage #6582
10/05/00 09:58 AM
10/05/00 09:58 AM
H
Helen Offline OP

Helen  Offline OP
H
I watch the local FOX news in Orlando last night, and they mentioned Keith only to tell that he's still out there, and that Texas might get some rain from him.

AND, I watched the ABC world news that's on in the middle of the night, and they did not show one picture of damage or mention anything about death tolls or loss of property.

Unless the media starts showing video, and talking about the loss of life, missing people and loss of homes and property, we are unlikely going to get enough supplies and volunteers to help all of Keith's victims.

PLEASE KEEP HOUNDING THE MEDIA! I have a feeling something may break in this area by tomorrow. Something really big, and I know it will help in getting supplies and volunteers. Has every looked at these two sites yet?

Photos: http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=Belize&c=news_photos&n=20

Stories: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001004/ts/weather_storms_dc_30.html

In my opinion, Yahoo! has covered the story better than any TV or radio station I've seen or heard.

I want the FULL story on TV!!!! So everyone will know what's REALLY going on!

Please keep posting your media info here.

Thanks!

Re: Media Coverage #6583
10/05/00 10:06 AM
10/05/00 10:06 AM
Pensacola, FL. USA
B
Belize Mama Offline

Belize Mama  Offline
B
Still nothing on TV or newspaper up here in Pensacola, Helen. It is as if it never happened. I know for a fact that a lot of people from this area have been to AC but they can't help if they don't know there is a need for help. Getting very angry at our media in this country!!!!!

Re: Media Coverage #6584
10/05/00 10:18 AM
10/05/00 10:18 AM
Chapel Hill, NC USA
J
Jenn Offline

Jenn  Offline
J
Me too, I also live in hurricane country (NC) and there has been nothing on the news. There was more info on the weather channel! I saw one little blurb buried in the paper, and half the info was wrong. I think my favorite was the guy who couldn't figure out how to pronounce Chetumal or Corozol, so he just pointed at their names.

Re: Media Coverage #6585
10/05/00 05:13 PM
10/05/00 05:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Hooray,
we finally made a 30 second blurb on channel 11 here in Houston, last night on the 10 pm news.It did look like they had pics of Ambergris Caye. Wonder where they got them. Have called and hounded every station in town and they all act like, "Hurricane Where? Belize Who?"

Re: Media Coverage #6586
10/05/00 06:24 PM
10/05/00 06:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
When the hurricane was pounding Ambergris Caye, I called my local ABC station and asked if they were going to cover Keith. There answer, the director of the news told me that they would not unless if affected Texas! Yikes! It seems that Mitch got more coverage. Donations were just pouring in, hey people I knew that never gave anything were giving donations for Honduras. I am afraid with the lack of coverage will mean less donations. I often wonder how much this has to do with it being so close to a presidental election? It seems everytime I turn around, they always have something on the news about that ~ Debate, polls, ect. That seems all the media is consumed with these days. Don't get me wrong, election is important but something of the magnitude that Keith was and did should get respect and be covered.

Re: Media Coverage #6587
10/05/00 06:28 PM
10/05/00 06:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
From MSNBC:

DAMAGE IN BELIZE
The worst-hit areas were the Belizean tourist islands of Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye, as well as the north of Belize, a former British colony nestled between Guatemala and Mexico.
In the tourist resort San Pedro, the streets are littered with the remains of homes, snapped telephone poles and torn electricity cables.
“This has been the worst storm of my life,” said Miesge Province, originally from Colorado Springs in the United States but who has been in San Pedro for 15 years, where she and her husband own a restaurant.
“We’re lucky, because there are people who have lost everything,” Province said.
Patrick Jones, Belize’s chief communications officer, told Reuters that the damage from Keith was estimated at $200 million — almost half the banana- and sugar-exporting nation’s $450 million gross domestic product.
Ambergris Caye, an upscale tourist resort island 30 miles north of Belize City, and Caye Caulker, favored by low-budget travelers, stood in the eyewall of Keith for 24 hours.
One U.S. tourist drowned while catamaraning during the storm, and two Belizeans were missing. The U.S. Coast Guard found the body of a U.S. woman off the coast after her yacht capsized, and it was searching for three other missing mariners. In Nicaragua, flooding killed at least 12 people.
Joseph Schultz, a member of a seven-person U.S. Agency for International Development disaster assessment team, said the hurricane affected about 90 percent of the buildings on Ambergris Caye.
All power lines were down. “Current estimates don’t expect electricity to be restored for a month,” Schultz said in a report Thursday after the USAID team carried out an aerial reconnaissance flight by helicopter over the island.
The island’s beaches, fringed by one of the world’s largest living coral reefs and considered prime scuba-diving territory, were strewn with driftwood, soggy shoes and bottles.
Belize called a dusk-to-dawn curfew to prevent looting and declared parts of the country of 250,000 people disaster areas.

HIT MANY TIMES BEFORE
Belize, a strip of land wedged between Mexico and Guatemala known as British Honduras until independence in 1981, is home to 250,000 English- and Spanish-speaking inhabitants of mostly Afro-Caribbean, Asian or Maya Indian descent.
Belize’s history has been scarred by hurricanes, including a powerful storm in 1961 that resulted in the capital’s being moved from Belize City to Belmopan.
In Nicaragua, where officials recalled the devastating passage in 1998 of Hurricane Mitch, which killed 10,000 in Central America, authorities declared a state of emergency.

Re: Media Coverage #6588
10/05/00 06:57 PM
10/05/00 06:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Excellent news coverage of the releif effort being coordinated by a christian releif group here in Houston, on KTRK TV (ABC) at 18:10 this evening.

The news coverage dealt with the group's LONG TERM comittment of releif help to Beleize, showed their initial first response efforts being loaded up (pallets of bottled water, food, shelter supplies, etc.) and their intention to stay in Beleize 3-5 years as the situation warrants, to assist the citizens in a lasting recovery from this disaster.

I hope the word of this effort can give all those wonderful friends I've met there over the years the encouragement to hang in there- it's slow trickling in right now- but there's a big wave of help coming. My thoughts are with you all.

Mel's friend, Larry

Re: Media Coverage #6589
10/06/00 04:58 PM
10/06/00 04:58 PM
H
Helen Offline OP

Helen  Offline OP
H
Please keep posting updated information on media cover here.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 233 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,333
Posts490,705
Members19,968
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.