Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Listen to Katie (mayatravel) -- she knows what she's talking about.

Spooky, as Katie and Peter say, you really don't want to spend much time in Belize City. The only advantage of Belize City is that it's the medical hub of Belize, in case there is any health problem.

Most places, 98%, in Belize are kid-friendly, so you'd really have to look to find a place, such as Maruba, which isn't appropriate for kids. (Never really understood why Colton House doesn't accept young kids -- guess Alan and Ondina had a bad experience some time back.)

You might look at Banana Bank near Belmopan for your mainland portion -- it's a good family place, though with an 8-month old I don't know that it makes much difference. On Ambergris Caye, almost any place works.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
spooky Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to all who responded. You have given me something to think about.

Another question - if I stay somewhere in Belize ( SI or Belmpopan) overnight when we arrive, is it possible to do a day trip by car? If so can somebody suggest a rental car company? Or is it recommended to saty overnite in Tikal.

And some good news is that another couple will be joining us - so can anybody recommend a 2 bedroom condo/villas/resort?

Visas - Since hold an Indian Passport I was told I need to get a visa for entry , does anybody know whether I need one as well to go to Tikal?

Thanks for your help. I am excited smile

Spooky

M
M
hi Spooky! I'm being repetitious here, but really keep going West. Belmopan is not the prittiest place. God knows I'm not a fussy traveler, but even I find Belmopan dreary.

It is only 80 or so miles to San Ignacio. You'll be fine if you hit the road.

Everybody needs a visa for Guatamala -no problem for 5 bucks you get it on the border

spooky Offline OP
OP Offline
Any recommendations on rental car options?

M
M
I ws fond of Safari, but haven't heard of it lately. Check and see if it is around.

Ditto what everyone says about Belize City. Skip it entirely. We were there for one day, and that was too long for me. We stayed at the Great House, and it was quite nice - very large rooms, but no refridgerator.

I commend you for taking your 8 month old along. Are you taking a nanny with you?

San Ignacio is really a great place, but I prefer AC. Tikal is amazing, but there is a lot of crime in the area, and I would recommend leaving Tikal way before dark. I don't think I'd go at all with my baby, actually (not just for the danger factor, but because there are a lot of steep stairs to climb if you want to get the full effect of the place).

We stayed at Three Sisters in the Mountain Pine Ridge and really loved the place. However, the pines are all dead, which was disappointing. There is a lot to do in the Cayo District, and you could easily fill up several days there.

Have fun on your trip! Let us know how it went with the baby. We were thinking of taking ours (about the same age as yours - she's 6 1/2 mos right now) in August, but changed our minds.

I have a good friend who is a travelling nanny. She will stay at home with the kids while you travel or come along with you. Check it out. www.thetravelingnanny.com. I have had her in Belize & Cancun with me and she has also stayed with my kids while I have gone. May be an option for some of you who need it. I have also brought my kids to Belize from age 18 months and have alwasy found it very kid friendly and babysitting readily available (in most places).

M
M
I must have lived my life wrong. Where was a traveling Nanny when I NEEDED one!

If you are on an Indian Passport, make sure you get a visa that will allow 2 entries into Belize. Someone travelling with me went to Tikal and was given major trouble to re-enter Belize. Even when though it was the Immigration Office at Belmopan that cocked up! And as luck had it, it was a Sunday too. We did not fancy having to spend the night in Melchor de Mencos!

I think you will need a Guatemalan visa too. (I was also travelling with a Zimbabwean at that time and I can't remember if it was one or both that needed a visa for Guate.)

I think Villa Boscardi may be a good place in Belize City. Have a look at www.villaboscardi.com a phone call will do to confirm if they are child friendly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.