Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66914 04/18/03 12:08 PM
OP Offline
Day 6

I had planned on doing some morning dives, but clearly the seas were bigger than any of the other days, so I decided to let the dives of the previous day be the memories I took away with me. Soaked up some sun, and early afternoon found me on the boat to SP. Had a great lunch at Papi's - another favorite! Rented a golf cart again, and looked around the residential neighborhoods of the San Pedranos. Stopped and talked to many folks, all very nice. They appeared to want to talk to me as much as I wanted to talk to them. Gave a group of young guys a donation - the story was they needed sponsors for their team. True or not, it wasn't much, so why not? Little kids begged for rides and got them, along with the small toys that I had in my backpack. They squealed like it was Christmas. It made me happier than it did them. Evening was coming, so I headed south again, stopped and bought some chicken for the invisible croc (won't do it again, Simon), gave a lady just off work a ride south, then headed back to the water plant. Quite a crowd this time. I found out that I had left too early on Wednesday evening. Somebody had arrived with a great deal of chicken, and Satan did show up for dinner. I was the only one with chicken this night, a small amount, and was told the best way to see Satan was to lay it at the water's edge. So I did, and waited, and waited, and waited. BAH! It just was not meant to be. I gave up, headed back to SP to turn in the golf cart and head to Caliente's for dinner. I swear every place is my favorite place. It was delicious. I had also gained a buddy - the cutest little white pup. I wanted to take her home with me, but the folks at Caliente's said impossible. It was too late on a Friday, and nothing would be open on Saturday. I was heartbroken, she had a great personality. I have folks looking for her (thanks SimonB). She did seem to be in excellent condition , so maybe she was just lost. Folks told me that they had seen one that looked like her with a mamma dog around Ramons. By the time I left Caliente's, the pup had disappeared, so I headed to Fido's to catch Barefoot Skinny. What a blast! Tim started off by telling the bartender to turn off the CNN crap. Loved it! He played a few instrumentals, then jumped into some livelier tunes. A member of the audience asked to sit in for a few, and he graciously allowed him to not only use his guitar, but his harmonica. The guy was ok, but I was glad when he finally left the stage.

I had the pleasure of meeting kayesscee/Kelly, a fellow boarder, with a super personality and great sense of humor. She has moved to AC, and is in the process of writing a book, a potential bestseller. She told me where Harriette lived, but it was too late to go and meet her. Didn't know it at the time, but SimonB was there with Kelly, another one missed. The absolute highlight of the evening was meeting Paisano. He initially came up to sell me a shell. Tim introduced him to the crowd as his father, so of course Paisano had to join his "son", on stage for a number. He accompanied Tim on the guitar case, and the guy rocked! It was all fun, and I had the best time watching him work the crowd, and flip folks off. I did get to tell him that I knew a lady who was sweet on him. He wanted to know who? who? or maybe he said "what you say?" I reminded him that it was Becky, of course! I forgot to ask him about his impending nuptials to Becky. haha! I can see why you find him so special, Chloe. He oozes charm. Is his name really Habib? The next break, I went to Sharks Bar to find Andy the DM from Playa Blanca. It was his birthday, and I wanted to celebrate it with him. Didn't see Andy, he had crashed back at PB after doing 4 dives that day. After enjoying a belikin, I headed back to Fido's, and finished up the evening when Tim did. I caught the late ferry back to PB, and decided I would try my best to finish off the belikins left in the fridge. That took me until 3 AM. The stars that night were close and bright - it was finally warm enough to stay out and enjoy the night. Heavenly.

Day 7

Alas, all good things must come to an end, so after catching 3 hours sleep, and packing up, I said goodbye to my Playa Blanca family, had my last boatride to SP, and headed to the airport. What a brilliant day! Absolutely gorgeous, wouldn't you know it? A good day for flying......I suppose. Soon enough I was on Maya Air, landed, and had enough time before my flight to go to Jet's Bar, and meet Jet. We talked some, I asked him how he was feeling now, and he said better than he had, but he still had to deal with some health problems. I wish him the very best, he's just a darn nice guy.

Regrets: didn't spot Bill Thornton, didn't find Harriette, didn't meet Hope and Pedro, didn't go to Barcalar Chico - but I will next time, klc! Other than that, it was all good. Even the weather didn't stop me in my pursuit of enjoyment. NYGal told me a few times to be flexible, and that is very important advice. With so much to do, there are always alternatives. There just isn't enough time.

I absolutely fell for the charm of AC. The warmth of the San Pedranos, those wonderful old wooden structures, and the many contrasts to life in the US, all made it appealing to me. I will return of course, once you lose your heart to the place, you own a piece of it. Did that last sentence bring a tear to your eye?

Thanks to the boarders for answering my countless questions, and giving me many great tips. It definitely helped, I had a map in my head based on this information, and to my amazement - things weren't too far off.

I'll be back *said in my best Arnold voice*

#66915 04/18/03 12:13 PM
dbodoberman what a wonderful report you had some fun good for you ,life is so short live life ,you write with a passion keep it up .enjoy enjoy enjoy ........

Living The Dream Every Day!
#66916 04/18/03 12:36 PM
OP Offline
thanks, captjeff, I truly had a great time!

here's a pic of Paisano that I took for Becky, Chloe, and Cheri, for those who wonder who the heck he is. Try and meet him, what a treat!

[Linked Image]

#66917 04/18/03 03:49 PM
WOW...........good trip.

Travelogues written this way are so much like being there. If you had written each step you took, it would be a step in the right direction.

Now you can marvel at all that is being said and you have already had an opportunity to form your own opinions. Those that are left unsaid or ones that can be shared. It's great.

I am beginning to think Piasano it deserving of an award. Never a negative comment other than a finger that everyone so freely throws, and he has had a spit or two, which we all wish we could do. Habib's the man. He can get the 'ATTA BOY' award for the most positively charming, ungroomed, cheerful sight in Belize. Everyone knows him. laugh

Thanks for sharing your events. Most enjoyable. wink

#66918 04/18/03 04:17 PM
Thanks db. That was great. It was so satisfying that if I still smoked, I'd light up right now. wg

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#66919 04/18/03 05:09 PM
Glad you got to meet my fiancee. I'm sure it was prewedding jitters that made him forget my name. smile

Glad Jet is feeling better. Hope to see him when I'm there.

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing with us.

#66920 04/18/03 05:36 PM
Dob, you are our kinda guy, you love Ambergris, and the people. You walked and rode in our footsteps, and tire tracks. Also viewed our coral and fish. WHAT A LIFE. Tim, Barefoot is great, very amenable to his audience.

Paisano, did not understand about Becky, cause he is committed to Chloe. Too, he is still wearing the same pair of pants, as last year.

Please someone take him some new Tshirts and shorts, I think his waist size is about 34, and a medium shirt. Used is good, but clean... :rolleyes:

Habib is his name. Go rent the video Lawrence of Arabia (2 videos), second video early in, you will see Habib as a very young man, at a bar scene, then again along the river. You can tell it is him.

Dob, thanks for sharing.

Dare To Deviate
#66921 04/18/03 06:02 PM
Dobie,

I still think ya gotta new career ahead ....plenty of time to write between those cabana boy gigs!

Nice going, bud!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#66922 04/18/03 06:32 PM
Wow DB..I'm gonna be hard pressedto top such first rate writeing....
Looks like ya got bit by the AC bug...
Thanks a bunch for your effort..I'm ready now...

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#66923 04/18/03 06:41 PM
Sorry DBDoberman!! I hope next time our paths with intersect. I was on the mainland for 10 days. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.