Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#67241 04/24/03 10:58 AM
M
maya10 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello-this is my first post to this board. We will be on AC in early May. I need to know about pica-pica, sand fleas, sea lice, and no-see-ums. I have heard the latter can be repelled with sunscreen oil, not lotion. Is this true, and will it work for the other nasties as well?

#67242 04/24/03 11:01 AM
i have never had any problems with any type of bugs while staying on the island.

Barb~*~
#67243 04/24/03 11:19 AM
E
E
Howdy,
I never had a problem in town with bugs except the giant roaches in Fido's hotel (years ago). BUT...on a trip to the northern beach we were almost totally consumed by what we in Alabama call yellow flies. They have an awful bite that puts a whelp on me the size of a half dollar. I'm bringing 31% deet this time. These flies may be seasonal as they are here in the deep south. eek

#67244 04/24/03 11:34 AM
Originally posted by maya10:
Hello-this is my first post to this board. We will be on AC in early May. I need to know about pica-pica, sand fleas, sea lice, and no-see-ums. I have heard the latter can be repelled with sunscreen oil, not lotion. Is this true, and will it work for the other nasties as well?
Hey, another Missourian ! We live just north from Springfield, Mo. we are not originally from this state, but we have been here for about 14 years. The real insect problems in Belize in the bush. San Pedro usually has a good sound breeze from the sea. Cutters with deet knocks out mosquito action. Best-wishes, mel......

Mel Sinderman
#67245 04/24/03 12:17 PM
Hi, we were in San Pedro this past March. We had no problems with bugs in on our beach or in town at all(although we were prepared with a big can of 31% DEET!) I think the bugs stayed away at the beach because Ramon's (where we stayed) rakes the beach everyday and there is a nice constant breeze. We had stopped at Captain Morgan's for a drink on our golf cart ride up north. One of the people I was with got a few no-see-um bites. After one snorkel stop (I haven't figured out if it was at Goff's Caye or by Caye Caulker) I broke out in what I later figured out (thanks to this message board) was a pica pica rash. It was kinda nasty looking but wasn't too bad and cleared up in about a week.

#67246 04/24/03 02:59 PM
M
maya10 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Mel- We live down near Joplin-practically neighbors! A friend was on a diving trip to a very small island(25 people total) last spring, and neglected to use oil the last day. Ended up getting cortisone shots back home because she was covered w/ no-see-um bites! We will be staying at Ramon's also. You guys are giving me high hopes for our trip, can't wait!

#67247 04/29/03 04:33 PM
Hey Maya10,
I'm in Tulsa, but lived in Miami OK, and Nevada MO in other lifetimes. Small world huh.

Where are you staying and when do you arrive? Do you dive? Got my Advanced Certification at Oranogo, north of Joplin just last July. Captain John's place - man that water was colder than a witches tit!!! eek

We are planning a little get together of about 40 or so "friends of the board" at Bcs BBQ on Sunday the 4th. You and yours are invited to partake with us and get aquainted with other like minded individuals. And if you're not there on the 4th, there's always the 11th. We're there til the 12th. cool

The Shark

"We're gonna need a bigger boat" - Brody
#67248 04/29/03 04:52 PM
I
I
Never had a bug problem in Ambergris. While in the jungle area south of Belize the mosquitos acted like we were their first sign of food for the year. They buzzed around us in flocks. Never got one bite. Used 100% Deet in Deep Woods Off. It sells at any Walgreens or Eckerds. It was great. smile

#67249 04/29/03 05:13 PM
I'm with "It's me". I always take Deep Woods Off, 95% Deet. Make sure you get the right stuff, there is some Deep Woods Off that is only 27.5% Deet. There was a huge thread about this some time ago. Use the search function, search for "DEET" or "deet" or Deep Woods Off under my number 1519, and the thread should come up. There was some pretty good stuff said in that thread as I recall.

In any event, lots of times the wind blows and keeps the skeeters off of ya on the beach side but the noseeums can make a pretty good snack of your feet and ankles. I almost always put lots of Deep Woods on my feet, ankles and lower legs. If we are going to be hanging about on the sand in the evening or whatever, I put it on my arms, neck, etc. too.

I take Benadryl and hydrocortizone cream with me. If I get some nasty bites anyway, I take some Benadryl and use the cream and I'm generally set in a day or two and don't seem to react to the bites so much anymore.

Everyone is different, some people have terrible reactions and others not so bad. I'd rather be prepared myself.

And as you've seen in the posts above, you've no real way of being sure that there won't be any bugs where you are when you are. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#67250 04/29/03 06:02 PM
M
maya10 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
River Shark-
We actually fly out of Tulsa the morning of May 7 and will return May 14. We will be at Ramon's for 7 nights. What is "BC's"? We don't dive but have developed a passion for snorkeling. Less expensive, and less equipment to carry. Maybe we can get together on the 11th. I'm assuming you were diving in "Big Blue" at Oronogo.
I've heard there are still trucks and mining equip. at the bottom, and a sunk airplane. Pretty neat. I usually use Bug'n'Sun, but will stock up on the Deet too. Better safe than sorry! Up here, it's usually the chiggers that get me. Sorry we have to miss the fun on the 4th. Sounds like a good time!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.