Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#68066 05/07/03 06:23 PM
spooons Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all!

I will be in AC for my honeymoon in late July and need some help. I've never been scuba diving before, but I really want to try it in AC. I will be able to begin my open water certification course in the U.S. (completing the coursework and confined water dives) and was wondering if it's possible to do my open water dives in AC. Anyone have any advice on the best way to do this? How long does it take to complete the open water portion? Any dive shop recommendations?

#68067 05/07/03 06:27 PM
S
S
Yes, you can complete your certification on AC with the open water dives. Amigos del Mar is an excellent dive shop and they complete certifications routinely. Recommend you contact them via their site from the "Goods & Services" drop down menu above. They will provide you info and prices. Happy memorable trip!

#68068 05/08/03 06:44 AM
M
M
I learned dive in Belize with dive instructor Sylvin Forman, now at Bottom Time ([email protected]). He is so wonderful, one of the first divers on AC. I so highly recommend him. I'm told sometimes its a little hard to transfer pool lessons to the open water, so be advised.

#68069 05/08/03 11:43 AM
Two days to complete the open waters, two dives each day. Around $250 US in cost. 99% of the dive shops on AC can do it but make sure you get a referral letter from your dive shop at home. It is a universal form that attests to your skills and coursework completion at home. The instructor on AC fills it out after completion of your open waters, you take it home to get your permanent certification card.

If you buy any dive gear for the vacation I highly recommend buying or renting a dive computer. They'll teach you why in class.

You will get a temp card to use on vacation. Check the diving link on the main page of this website for a list of diveshops. Your hotel can make arrangements for you as well as they all know dive shops or have them on site too.

#68070 05/12/03 10:37 AM
D
D
Hey Spooons,
I just got back from AC and completed my open water dives there. The referral is definitely the way to go. Do your coursework and confined water dives at home and then the open water dives in AC. This worked out well for me. I went with Ramon's Village dive shop and completed my four dives with Gil. You basically repeat all of the pool exercises, but now you'll be in the ocean with some real scenery. The cost was about $265 US and you'll need two days (two dives per day). You can either do a morning and an afternoon dive, or you can try to do both dives in the AM each day. I did this and was done each day by about 12 noon. This left a lot of time for eating, soaking up some Belikins and sun, and enjoying AC. Good luck and enjoy!

#68071 05/12/03 10:48 AM
You are doing it the right way, coursework at home and open water in Belize .... SO much better than doing open water at home in a lake or colder less scenic waters and you get to see the local reefs at the same time which is something you would have wanted to do anyway smile
Almost all the shops are the same or very close in price. I personally recommend Sara and Horace Bladon. You can contact them through Blue Hole Dive center or directly at shbladon@hotmail.comTell 'em Rapier [Scott] Sent you wink

Good Luck !! .... Have Fun !!

#68072 05/12/03 02:01 PM
Actually, I always recommend that, if at all possible, before your trip, complete your open water certification at home. The reason that I recommend this is because the conditions at home are probably much harsher than at your vacation destination. Therefore, you will have experience with more adverse dive conditions before you ever reach your holiday destination. Also, it is quite a bit less expensive. Then if you are still feeling a tad nervous when you arrive, take a special orientation dive with a dedicated DM. Handling your certification and introduction to the holiday diving in this manner, will save you significant dollars and help make you much more comfortable in the holiday waters, thus ensuring more enjoyable diving experiences.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.