Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Can't make a decision between Mata Rocks or Seven Seas....anyone have an opinion??? confused

Oh boy, that's a tough one.

You need to set out your own criteria. What is important to you?

For example, take a look at the picture found here: //ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/longview.html

Go far over to your right and you will find the location of the Seven Seas. Notice how it is just a shade north of the main town and how it is not really close to another hotel (as in right next door). Unfortunately, this picture only goes as far south as Ramons and Mata Rocks is quite a bit further south of town than that.

Then also take a look at this map of San Pedro and many of the resorts, etc. found here: //ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html

That might help you have some idea of their locations relative to the main part of town, as in, proximity to Fidos, Jambels, Big Daddy's, Estel's, BC's, Sharks Bar, Ambergris Delight, Cholos and so on.

You may also note that Mata Rocks is right near Banana's.

The Seven Seas is an interesting little property. The room that I saw was not as large as the one I see pictured on their website but it was adequate. My concern was that due to the layout, there might not be enough air circulation in the suite, especially in the bedroom. I really liked the location. However, if you book there, make sure that they guarantee you a room with an ocean view. They are building some more units in the back. I'd be really ticked off myself, if I booked with them and that's where I ended up hanging my hat.

Also, the Seven Seas pool, while a decent size (qualify that with "by SP standards") is in the back of the property behind the resort. I can't imagine that it ever gets much sun. Perhaps in the morning and a small part of the mid afternoon, if that.

I very much liked the front yard area, it's pretty with lots of palms and such. The beach area immediately out front, is not all that.

Sorry, I can't speak more to Mata Rocks. Hopefully, someone else can fill you in.

Good luck with your decision.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Ya know, I sweated the lodging decision for a long time myself. After visiting, you'll realize that unless you or your traveling companion is high maintenance, or you plan on spending a lot of time hanging out at your hotel, it really doesn't matter. My room was basically a place where we parked our bags all day and slept 5-6 hours a night. We stayed at Seven Seas. Ocean front room, beautiful grounds, excellent staff, and we did enjoy the pool. It was nice to take a dip after being in the ocean all day, or to skinny dip at 3AM! The AC is in the bedroom, so the front room did get a little warm. But we found it to be entirely adequate. We weren't looking for fancy lodging. The best part is they have a cistern. When the island lost water (which has happened a few times) we were still able to take showers (which were desperately needed in August!)
We did visit Mata Rocks...they've just remodeled and added a pool. They are farther from town, but the beach area is nicer down there. They are great folks as well, and the Pink Squirrel Bar is a neat little place to hang (have a Mata Colada). It really boils down to how close you wanna be to town. You won't go wrong either way.

Personally, I'd pick Mata Rocks. Rooms at Seven Seas tend to be dark. Pool is behind the building so no sea view. Staff & owners at MR are very friendly. Newly renovated bright light airy rooms & suites. Excellent little bar. And next door to the awesome El Divino restaurant.

JSF Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the input! I've been reading the post archives on Mata Rocks and it definately sounds like the place for us! Now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the next 5 months go by faster until we go??!! wink

become workaholics

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.