Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6822 10/11/00 09:51 PM
OP Offline
Before I say anything....let me stress that this entire situation will be
fixed....San Pedro will get back to normal....and people will vacation here
same as before Bad Ass Keith.
We, like many places in the U.S. have had a very mean hurricane and things are kind of in a recovery mode right now. We have much work to do.
Unfortunately we are not as prepared as the U.S. or do we have the resources that they have. So, I ask everyone to please understand the situation here and not think of it in negative terms, but in terms of tasks that need to be completed in order to receive visitors again.

With that said.....

The situation on the west side of the island,(the lagoon side) is something that is being addressed first. Celeste is absolutely right in saying that this area consisted of basic wood houses with outdoor plumbing facilities.
Naturally when the lagoon washed in....it flooded all those septics. The is a potential for health risk.
This is not to scare everyone, simply to alert you to the situation so
people can take precautions.
There are several water spigots that they have put up in that area for the
residents to use. They have been instructed on the importance of adding bleach to their water and washing all fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
Canned items are best at this point. Hand washing also is of extreme
importance!...as well as keeping the kids away from piled up trash and debris.
I have been told by a representative from NEMO that they will start
removing trash from this area tomorrow. After a meeting today....the goal
is to get this area cleaned up as soon as possible, removing a big portion
of the health risk.

As for Mosquitos....

I talked with Lorinda Stinson today who is a registered nurse visiting here
from La Loma Luz hospital in Cayo. She has been asked to represent NEMO in a public relations capacity. Our conversation had to do with the threat of Dengue and Malaria. Being from the Cayo district, she is very familiar with both diseases.
The town board will be spraying tonight for both Dengue and Malaria carrying varieties as a preventitive measure to make sure these don't mature and infect anyone. Until the threat is gone, this will be done as a
preventitive measure. They are advising that all wear insect repellent.

My conversation with Lorinda also included discussing tourists and when
they should come. We want to discourage people from coming in at this point
as we are still in a state of emergency. We hope to upgrade that status in the next few days. We appreciate your patience.
Our suggestions are for the protection of the tourists and to conserve our resources...ie: food, water, medicine, etc. The more people we have here..the more we have to feed, etc.
Also, all empty rooms in hotels have been set aside for people who have lost everything they had and are in need of shelter. Sunbreeze also is semi
occupied as a makeshift hospital. We appreciate their help too.
For that reason....vacationing here right now is out of the question.
I would estimate a good ballpark date for tourists would be somewhere around the first of November.
Some may be ready before then.
Problem is...a vacation is not just a hotel room....but restaurants, tours,
diving, etc.
My recommendation would be to contact the hotel directly and see what their
situation is as well as the availibility of activities.

Missing people/Deceased.....

The rumours flying around about this issue are too many to count. This is to be expected considering the situation. It's no one's fault....it just happens.
At this point..there are 2 people still unaccounted for. The deceased count
is more in the area of 4.
Nobody is trying to cover up anything. The people in charge of handling this area simply have not had time or resources to report these figures.
They have been a little busy.
The families of the deceased have to be notified before any information can be released. I respect that.
I wish to send all the families of those that were lost our sincere regrets and
sympathy.
This has been a nightmare for them I'm sure. Our condolences and prayers are with them all.
A reminder for everyone to please try and use the topics I posted earlier to keep things organized. It will make it so much easier to keep up with exactly what is going on and any requests that you all still have
concerning loved ones and property.

In summary...these are the problems as they stand today....they are all fixable...we all need to be careful and help each other...and hopefully soon San Pedro will be back to normal and in full swing.
It can be done if we all work together.
We look forward to seeing all of you later as tourists and friends and truly appreciate all the help you've given in procuring supplies and all your encouragement too!

When we are in full gear again....We will have to throw a BIG party! [Linked Image]

I know this has been lengthy, but I wanted to try and answer some very important issues today.
Thanks for your time and patience.
Signing off now....
Tammy

#6823 10/11/00 10:08 PM
OP Offline

#6824 10/11/00 11:33 PM
Thanks Tammy. Please give me a ring at [email protected] if ya get any pertainant info. regarding my people. I'm off the board for awhile, but will answer my E-Mails. I've got this book by Hemingway here, Islands in the Stream, that I need to read. Give my buddy, Nurse Natalie a hug for me. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
#6825 10/12/00 12:52 AM
Tammy while you are hugging give yourself one from us. Bill I know what you mean,I am goint off to read also, I am reading "I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE" by Wally Lamb. See Ya.

Dare To Deviate
#6826 10/12/00 01:02 AM
C
C
Sandshaker,
I will be arriving next Thurs. I will be there because I have property that has been damaged. I will be bringing a form of CuSO4 to sterilize water. It will kill cholera, Shigella, Salmonella, etc. It will be enough for several thousand gallons and is being donated to the people of San Pedro by the company that makes it. I am also an orthopedic surgeon and will be happy to help in any way I can with any orthopedic injuries. I subspecialize in hand, wrist and forearm problems. If there is anything specific that is needed by the medical community there, please let me know and I will see what I can do to bring it with me.

B&D Stripling
#6827 10/12/00 05:03 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Doc....that sounds great!
I have a ganglion cyst on my right lateral forearm I'd sure like to get rid of...LOL [Linked Image]

No seriously....just from spending some time in the clinic....I know they could use a thermoscan thermometer with probes. (the ear thing) Been using glass ones sterilized in alcohol and taking temps axillary.

We dont have any way to monitor blood gases either...so a pulse oximeter would be great. Only problem is....we need one that doesn't require disposable probes because we will never be able to get ahold of those later.
A clip on probe (like a clothes pin)would be good. There is a tiny unit, about 1" X 2", called Onyx works really good. Used it before but can't remember the company it comes from. Ask you respiratory therapists..I'm sure they will know what I'm talking about.

My office is at the north end of Front St. across from the old Rasta Pasta place. (Miss you Maralyn & Albert)
Basil Jones Resort Office....number is #4223
You can email me at: [email protected]

Many thanks again!
Tammy

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 10-12-2000).]

#6828 10/12/00 12:46 PM
/

#6829 10/12/00 12:57 PM
B
B
Talk about ironic...for a long time we had you on the "missing" list and now you are organizing all the lists, etc. LOL You are amazing! Can't keep a good woman down, huh?Please don't overdo. But if there is anything I cans end your way from Pensacola, let me know.

#6830 10/12/00 01:02 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image] LOL...Missing In Action, huh?
You be sure and tell my Mom how hard I'm working down here. She still can't figure out why I'm down here....LOL

#6831 10/12/00 01:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Casa Hol Chan

There is a man on Caye Caulker, Harrison, who had his finger crushed and a portion amputated. Could you check on him?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.