Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#68856 05/26/03 10:41 AM
D
D
Hey Sandcrab, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we already have scooters for rent. They go way to fast and are very dangerous on our small, crowded, bumpy streets that are always filled with pedistrians and lots of kids playing. Not to mention the danger to the riders of these gas powered scooters who usually refuse the safety helmet and go speeding by my house everyday in a hurry to get... well no where really. How far can you go on a small island and what is the big hurry. I was not shocked, but was for sure sad when they approved these scooters. Typical San Pedro thought process. While one hand is acting concerened about these kind of issues, the other hand is doing a "favor" for someones relative or friend by breaking or bending the rules. Just one more thing to add to the list when describing paradise.

#68857 05/26/03 07:04 PM
Deking3333,

My point exactly. It is just one more thing to add to the everyday pollution and hustle bustle.

Byron,

I am very aware that hoards of dump trucks, taxis, tractors and old outboard engines provide AC with most of the pollution, not to speak of dangerous conditions to pedestrians, but the topic is Gas powered carts which I was addressing. It is just one more thing to add to an already over-polluted island.

It seems to me that the San Pedro Town Council should be made aware by the residents and business owners to cut down on licensing all the polluters, or it could be that there will one day be lots of engines and machines and noise makers, but very few tourists. Why change a beautiful place into a crowded, smelly, noisy place?

Just a thought for the future life of AC.

Jim

**Jim
#68858 05/27/03 08:55 AM
Jim: your comment "just a thought for the future life on AC" is most poignant. My problem is there seems to be far too little thought and investment being given to planing and accomodating for all the growth in population density that comes with the development that is being promoted on AC.
With the expansion, both north and south, it is neccessary to have transportation that electric golf carts are not suited for. They just do not have the range to make them practical for those residents. Not to mention the power problem that we are faced with.
If AC is going to have the development that appears inevitable, compromises like gas golf carts are inevitable. And probably desirable when factured into an overall plan.
People coming to AC and wanting more hotels and condos, beaches "stolen" from the sea, bars stocked with beer deliverd daily, taxis waiting in line at the airstrip and boats and motors to take them and all the cruise ship people snorkling and a goverment that is not investing in the infrastucture and regulations to support this are the important problems not being addressed.
It is the number of people on the island, of which I am one, that is creating the problems. And to focus a debate on whether to rent a gas or electric golf cart when there are so many more important issues to addrsss, is as I said, like focusing on jay walkers when you have murders to deal with. But, I guess that makes some people think they are doing their part and makes them feel good. Solving the greater and more important issues will requirer alot more than just doing something that makes you feel good.

Bottom line is, if we do like Jim suggests and give some thought to the future and an overall plan, we would probably find that gas golf carts would be one of the "compromises" that would be far desirable to what is being done now. wink

#68859 05/27/03 09:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Just for the truly interested parties:
The AC Chamber of Commerce is aggressively working towards some relief of the traffic problems. 2 weeks ago, there was a C of C sponsored Traffic Seminar that was well-attended. At last weeks meeting, the Chair of the AC Traffic Control Comm, Milo Paz gave us an update. He has met with the Minister of Transport, Mr Marin, and things are starting to happen. $4800 was donated by 3 C of C members to pay the salary for "traffic wardens", who will also serve as inspectors. 2 radar guns have been pledged. Parking is being addressed currently. A census (by a re-registering) process will begin shortly. There is going to be a Master Traffic Plan meeting for AC held in Belmopan on May 30-31, so I will have further updates at that time.

The C of C is doing some great things and like most organizations, can always use $$ and/or manpower. I encourage you ALL to become partners.

#68860 05/28/03 08:00 AM
T
T
i cannot think of anything that is a bigger waste of time or money than having a meeting to slow people down and make them conform...if you want to 'keep things slow' on ac then get rid of the friggin gas carts and scooters....and as long as there is $$$ to be made by development there will not be compromises, only situations made to look like compromises....AC needs an eco-dictator with balls....

and byroni my friend, you are misguided on the gas cart issue...yes, they do not have the range or power of an electric, but they are noisy....so noisy and enviromentally unfriendly that golf course around our country are phasing them out....

as far as delivery truck and such, they are a necessity, but one or two deisel tractors running up and down the caye isn't going to fowl things up....don't throw the baby out with the bath..

motored boats are a the only way to fly, period...(that was funny)

anyway, i dont live there, but could and just don't see the problem with going against the curve on the on-land motor issue....

use donkeys

#68861 05/28/03 09:36 AM
That was no ordinary mushroom.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#68862 05/28/03 10:00 AM
I'll take the gas over electric anyday!! As I said we pulled an electric cart over a mile to the hand ferry - and that sold me on gas. And as I said I don't think the family we were pulling minded the fumes and pollution or the sound that our motor was putting off.
As a matter of fact, I didn't notice that the gas guzzeling, pollution belching cart we rented from Castle Cart was any louder than the electric ones we were passing (or pulling), until you people pointed it out to me.
Man am I glad I didn't notice all of that pollution, it might have made me sick.

Maybe you people need to get a life and move on.

The Shark

"We're gonna need a bigger boat" - Brody
#68863 05/28/03 12:57 PM
I had some really far out thoughts on this that I expressed under a new topic, "Pollution Solution, etc.?"

I guess the start of the rainy season has me far out.

#68864 05/28/03 04:26 PM
T
T
i'll bet you check the gas when you leave

#68865 05/28/03 07:30 PM
River Shark---Where did you rent your gas cart???? I've e-mailed Moncho's twice for prices & information but havn't received an answer....I've heard they are a lot higher than electric.....How much does gas cost in AC (US $ per gallon) We will be there July 4th thru 11th.......Johnboy (that crazy Texan) wink

John
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.