Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Went to Utila for a few days last year for the first time. Dirt cheap hotels, dirt cheap diving, bloody AWFUL food, all the menu's are the same, greasy fish sandwich, burger, chicken sandwich. And, the MOST expensive Internet cafes I have every been to. $11.00US an hour, all the places there have fixed their rates. No mercy, but there are always lines of backpackers waiting to get on to the Internet....the same people who won't pay more than $5.00US a night per person for a hotel will happily go on line in Utila for 3 hours for 33.00US!!

And, they have their traffic problems too....recently 4 wheelers, golf carts, scooters and pickups have exploded on the island....they do have paved roads, but the roads are about 1/2 the width of the streets here on A.C. Pedestrians find themselves constantly having to step aside to make way for speeding vehicles. There is a lot of resentment about the traffice situation from people who want the old, peaceful Utila to return. You see signs on front yards like "Parking strictly prohibited, offenders will be prosecuted and shot" or "This property is not a U turn zone."

Decent beaches out of town, no beaches to speak of in town, no sandfly problem while I was there, but it was dry season. VERY hot, though.

Good jogging territory, a little hilly, forested, shady in places.

And, did I already say.....AWFUL food. Some things just stick in the memory....

so Chris, how was the food? haha

E
E
I am also planning a trip to Roatan. The link that dbdoberman posted is good but certainly not as informative as this one. Seems like most people opt for the all inclusive. I prefer winging it. So I'll keep an eye out for any other helpful info.

Hasta luego,

Gene

Hi Andrea. I too have been doing research into Roatan and it has been very frustrating! We are definitly spoiled by this incredible site. (How did people plan vacations before the internet?) Anyway, i wanted a place similar to San Pedro, but was someplace new. Roatan seemed too big and touristy so i'm off to Utila. Have you considered it? I'll be back in a few weeks, in case you might want more info on it.

Do some searching on West End, Roatan. I think you will find a place that is not so touristy as you might have thought.

There certainly are a number of dedicated dive resorts on Roatan, but West End is a quaint little village with quite small hotels.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
From what I have found and read, Roatan appears more rustic than AC (and their websites prove it). Since only about half of our little group are divers we are looking for somewhere near West End since thats where the nightlife is. Utila is probably too low key for my lot, which is why we like AC versus Caye Caulker. We need a decent selection of bars and restaurants. Anthony's Key looks nice but isn't for us, too isolated and we don't like the all-inclusive thing. It takes away from getting to experience the island as a whole and the different restaurants and bars it has to offer. Lets hope AC continues to stay clear of the AI bandwagon that so many places have gotten on!!

We figured we'd hit Roatan next spring as, since Temtaption Island 3 is filmed there (and the recent UK and Frenche TI's as well), it will probably blow up development wise after that so we wanted to go before that happens.

Some hotels I have found that look decent are Lost Paradise, Luna Beach, Coconut Tree and Posada Arco Iris. West Bay has a great selection but folks keep saying their nightlife is pretty much zero and its expensive to take cabs to west end at night. All the websites and photo links suck compared to this AC site though, which makes it harder to research! Plus their message board doesn't have such colorful personalities.. like Peter's for example <g>

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta
Seaislegal,
We are in the same boat as you. We went to A/C last year and loved it, but were looking for something new this year. I have found the following website helpful (but not nearly as much as this message board).
Roatanet
It is a clearing house for Roatan resorts, restaurants, etc.

We can't decide between the small cabanas of Banarama, or the more deluxe digs at Island Paradise.

Keep us posted on what your research turns up.

I LOVED ROATAN!!!

The diving is top notch!

We stayed at the Bay Island beach Resort. And it was terrific.

And I must admit, Im in the same boat as you. looking for a place with a good combination of nite life and rusticness. Which is why Ill be visiting AC in a little over a week. If youll wait till after july 4th Ill give you my unbiased opinion and objective comparison.

Staying at BIBR, it was a hassle catching a cab into town. We visited Luna Beach many times on our morning surface intervals. We got to meet the owner and look around. If they have their dive operation up and running, (it coulda been the owner just talking smack, but who knows?), it should be a quality operation.

Peace,
TJ

Diving is Life...the Rest is just a Surface Interval
--TJ
D
D
There is regular weekly boat service From Placincia on weekends.. We made the trip and it wasn't bad. We stayed on the west end.It is less Tourist infested.There are several reasonable places to stay and the Diving was great. Our only problem was that we only spent the weekend. (The boat leaves Placincia on fri returns on mon) Next time we will stay the week.

OP Offline
Submersi

How did Luna Beach look accomodation and amenity wise? Is it in walking distance to West End as its noted as being a "stroll to west end" whatever that means!

Thanks,
Andrea

Andrea in Atlanta
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.