Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
<<<<<<<<How did Luna Beach look accomodation and amenity wise? Is it in walking distance to West End as its noted as being a "stroll to west end" whatever that means!>>>>>>>>>>

OK...None of the resorts from what I saw are luxurious by our standards. But the place looked very comfortable and it looked like they were working hard to add amenities. The big screen TVs were going in while I was there. Comfort and ameneties-wise the place is definitely aimed at we Yanks. Personally, I may be inclined to book there were I to be looking to book another Roatan trip.

As for the stroll they talk about, it IS a fairly long walk, again, by our standards. But its only about 20 minutes. So if I were to be looking into Luna Beach I wouldnt be put off by it.

As for the places to go in West End. There are a few and you can barhop from one to the other in a matter of seconds. As you walk north along the beach from Luna youll find a locals mostly beachside place called Loafer's. Youll then get to the outskirts of town and trek thru till you get to what could be called downtown West End where youll find hostels and bargain hotels where all the europeans hang out. At the southern most end youll find the Swinging Monkey Bar (I believe thats what its called) One 20x20 foot bar and as many chairs, tables and swings as you can fit around it under one little roof. As in...Not enclosed. Further north there are two more large restaurant/bar Carlos N Charlie type place on piers over the water. Maybe one of them is called Fosters??? On weekends these large mega bars have a few "working girls" working so be careful. Then theres the Twisted Toucan on that beachfront street across from those places. Very small and social. My favorite of all these places. Semi enclosed as in only one wall and part of two more.

Hope you have fun,
TJ

Diving is Life...the Rest is just a Surface Interval
--TJ
T
T
Roatan is fun. Prettier beaches than Belize. Snorkeling/diving is fantastic. Lots of sandflies though, and town generators (West End) went out 3-4 times when we were there. Make sure you stay in a place which has it's own generator, unless you want to deal with no lights nor fans for hours at a time. Dont' recommend Fosters, it was a bit "iffy". Too high a price for what you get. Check some guidebooks; it was 2000, and I can't remember the names other places to stay. Also, make a reservatin BEFORE you get there. We had lots of trouble finding a place in June. It's a very popular spot for budget scuba divers. wink

B
B
Anyone have comments on Bananarama, good and bad? I'm not a diver, but I do enjoy snorkeling. I'm considering Roatan for next March.

OK....Now Im back.

I got back from Ambergis last week and Im here to report, It was great.

Comparing AC to Roatan: As much as I loved Roatan, AC was more developed. There were certainly less of the euro-backpacker crowd and more Americans. the absence of the europeans has a tendency to take away from the feel of beinbg somewhere truly foreign.

If I was to go to AC again, I would definitely book a place just south of the cut. The really nice places to stay on AC are north of the cut like Journey's End (where we stayed) but are just too inconvenient to be taking water taxis into town every nite. However this still might be an option as the prices at the resort restaurants can get a little steep. Sixty bucks for a beach bbq buffet for two!?!?! Are you insane!?!?!?

The people on AC are very friendly and I would gladly go back.

Diving is Life...the Rest is just a Surface Interval
--TJ
??Sixty bucks for beach BBQ? Would that be $60.BZ or $60.US?

Dare To Deviate
I noticed a $199 round trip from New Orleans to Roatan advertised by TACA. Rate good until the 1st week of August, I believe.

Gone fishing!!
Utila was really nice. The fishing and the snorkeling was great ! There were some serious biting insect problems when we were there, because the winds were dead. We traveled via chicken buses started from Chiquimula, Guatemala and ended up jumping on an ancient cesna sky-cab. The Honduran people are very wonderful. With the exceptions of the Honduran soldiers, as they tried to shake me down numerous times to get money, when we were on the road. Overall, I would give the bay-islands a good thumbs up. best-wishes, Mel.

Mel Sinderman
OP Offline
I'll be armed with bugspray next year then for sure!!!

One of our group who didn't make it to Belize with us this year is going to stop on AC first, and then go on to Roatan. Wish I had the $$ to do that as well but just bought a house!! AC and Roatan in one trip would be awesome!

Temptation Island starts this Thurs and is filmed on Roatan. One of the hotels they used is Luna Beach so I look forwards to checking that out on TV.

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta
Andrea,
Debbie and I are toying with the idea of Roatan for a week and Utila the next week (hopefully to see whale sharks).
It looks like we are staying at Fantasy Island 5/1-5/8 on Roatan and Laguna Beach Resort 5/8-5/15 on Utila.
If you guys are on Roatan the first week of May maybe we'll run into each other.

The Shark

"We're gonna need a bigger boat" - Brody
OP Offline
Yep, we plan on being at Luna Beach first week in May with my crew who were at Banana Beach this May plus some newbies from our friends at home and a couple of other boarders who are wanting to try Roatan as well. Fantasy Island is a nice looking place (went there on a cruise ship stop a few years back) just far from everything. They have a nice beach though and you can always rent a jeep to get around.

Andrea in Atlanta

Andrea in Atlanta
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.