Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69922 06/19/03 03:56 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Is it safe to take children there? Is it safe, period? I have read mixed information.
Thanks.

#69923 06/19/03 05:38 PM
M
M
Safety there is fluid, but it has been safe for a nice long stretch now and I'd certainly feel safe to travel to Tikal with adults or kids.

Maya Travel Services
#69924 06/19/03 05:50 PM
The answer is most definitely yes-but if you are worried take a tour bus from San Ignacio,and you will have no -problems

#69925 06/19/03 06:00 PM
T
T
that way when you get mugged you will have something in common with all those strangers

#69926 06/19/03 08:23 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Yeah. Okay. I know!
We would fly there. I suppose it would be with a tour, or guide.
Thanks for your honest replies. So, in conclusion, it is fine??? Sort of fine??

#69927 06/19/03 09:00 PM
I think you'll be fine. I fly over for the day and had read and re-read all the warnings etc... of course I had a guide since it was just a day trip so I felt a little easier about that. There were only two of us on the "tour" and on the way back to Flores we came upon a van that had broken down. A couple flagged us down and you could tell the driver and the guide were on their toes. The couple wanted/needed a ride into Flores and couldn't/didn't want to wait for the van that had broke down to be fixed or another ride. We were fine with it but the guide kept asking us if we were sure. We finally convinced him that we felt ok with it. So bottom line, I think you'd be fine. They also had police or security all over the place when I was there last year.

#69928 06/20/03 01:30 PM
There were more police/guards than tourists when I was there at Easter (and, there were a lot of tourists)...

Please note Tikal is not Disney-fied. When you climb to the top of Temple 4, you are on a thin ledge surrounding the highest Mayan ruin in the world...no fence...just a guy with a stretcher at the bottom! Wear proper shoes. Don't mean to patronize, but I met a injured people who were wearing sandals/flip flops.

All the warnings posted on Lonely Planet and the other backpacker type sites stated that most problems were experienced by people in vans or buses that were pulled over in so-called road blocks. Katie at Maya Travel arranged flights and private driver for me, and it was fine. We did pass one road block on the way from the airport to the Jungle Lodge, but they waved us through.

#69929 06/20/03 02:50 PM
We took our kids on a day trip to Tikal in November 2002. We took a van from San Ignacio, and didn't run into any trouble on the road. However, as Mayaphile said, the political situation is very fluid, so be sure to check before you go.

My husband and I took turns climbing Temple 2 (we deemed it too dangerous for the kids). The steps are VERY steep, VERY narrow, with NO handrails, and NO guard rails. The ledge at the top of the steps seems to be a few stories from the ground. When I got back down, I asked our guide if anyone had ever fallen. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Eh..not many." That struck me as pretty funny. laugh

We did let the kids climb Temple 4. It was an awesome sight, and the sound of howler monkeys floating above the canopy is something I will always remember.

Tikal is a fabulous place, and I hope you and your kids are able to go.

#69930 06/20/03 03:07 PM
I understand that virgins are much more at risk. Just got back from Tikal and I would say that if you carefully and conscienciously watch your children... it might be OK. Tikal is DEFINATELY not the place for children running around unsupervised. Also, no monkey business!!

Gone fishing!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.