#70398 06/30/03 05:20 PM
O
OP Offline
O
This is an article that I wrote and was in Ambergris Today, June 19th,2003
//www.ambergriscaye.com/ambergristoday/index.html

Letters - Thanks To Lions Clinic
Dear Residents,

I just wanted to take this time to write to you about the Loins Clinic. My name is Jackie ; I was on my 4th vacation to the island and I was very sick. I was there from May 1 to May 19. I started not feeling well around the 3rd of May and took a lot of over the counter drugs, while I was there, which nothing seemed to work. On May 10, I was extremely ill, coughing up blood, sore throat, fever, chills, wheezing. I decided to go to the Loins Clinic, choosing them because I had been there before on my 3rd trip and knew the service that I received before. So, I walked in and the doctor was not there yet. She was called down. This was the first time that I have ever met Dr. Teresa Damera; I had Dr. Allison the last time. She took me in to examine me. First she asked what the problem was, and then she examined me, my throat and my lungs. She told me that I had tonsillitis and pneumonia. Feeling very uncomfortable about it, which I did not know until the last day, she agreed to treat me with the promise that if I did not feel any better by the 12th I would have to go to Belize City. I was immediately given breathing treatments and shots. I was sent away with breathing medication.

I spent many a nights, with no sleep and extreme coughing. It was a very scary experience. I went to the Loins Clinic, everyday, for seven days, for a shot and a breathing treatment. It was not as easy as it sounds. One day the medicine had not arrived by plane, so I had to wait. Then there were a few days that there was no electricity, so we could not use the breathing machine. Then she went out of her way to see me on a Sunday, to give me the shot and the breathing treatment. After the third day, I started to feel much better.

I was done on the 17th of May with all the shots and treatments. I was then given oral medication, to last until I would arrive home. I arrived home on the 19th of May and saw my doctor, in Cleveland. He read the letter that Dr. Damera sent me home with and said the treatment was perfect and that I was fine.

I would just like to commend Dr. Damera for her professionalism and her caring. She is the best, not only as a doctor but as a friend, which we became through this ordeal. I would never feel uneasy about traveling to the island and getting sick. I know that the Lions Clinic is there and ready to treat any time of day or night. These doctors go out of their way to try to do what they can for the tourists and the locals, no matter what, for what little payment they receive. Her famous little word, "COME", that was so heartfelt.

So I would like to personally and publicly thank Dr. Damera, Dr. Allison, the nurse and also the staff at Banana Beach, especially, Yesenia, Miriam and Shauna, for all that they did while I was so ill. Their caring and compassion was a true blessing. I truly believe that everybody went beyond the call of duty, something that I have never encountered at home and probably never will.

Thank you,
Jackie

#70399 06/30/03 05:54 PM
Jacks, how lovely of you to write the letter. I know you appreciated all the help you receive while sick in San Pedro. Thanks for taking the time to give Lion's, doctors, and staff credit.

Dare To Deviate
#70400 07/01/03 10:30 AM
I think it was a wonderful gesture to write a nice article like that. The medical fields are funny, if someone does something just slightly incorrect we should be pulled out and stoned, or the modern stoning "Sued". However when a health care giver goes the extra mile to help out a patient, that is just a ,"normal". Kudos to you Jackie! Best-Wishes, Mel S......

Mel Sinderman
#70401 07/01/03 10:56 AM
G
G
I read your article in the paper last week while I was there. Very nice. You have my sympathy for being sick while on vacation. I was sick with bronchitis while in Cayman Brac this past January and had to visit the local ER. They fixed me right up. It is a bummer though, but nice to know that the services are available if you should need them.

#70402 07/01/03 01:39 PM
M
M
Thank you so much for this post. I have a few things that could be a problem for me. We had a place built in Belize for our retirement, but I sometimes wondered what dealing with medical problems would be like on AC. I am greatly reassured by this account of professionalism and wisdom ("If you're not better by ... then...").

Thanks for posting this.

And hooray for the Lion's clinic.
Mike Ryan

#70403 07/02/03 12:01 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I also forgot to add that I was reimbursed by my HMO,for the doctors visits and the I got my vacation time switched to sick(thanks Pedro1, for the idea). So, being as bad as it was, it still could have been worse.

#70404 07/02/03 12:26 PM
Just curious, did you catch your bug before leaving the US, in transit (airplane air), or a few days after arrival. If this is too personal,just ignore.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#70405 07/02/03 04:45 PM
Hi Jackie O: As promised, I told the Lion's of your nice report and Dr Migual told me that Dr Teresa is "still blushing" from the nice article. Take care: Bill

Gone fishing!!
#70406 07/02/03 10:44 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Dog,
No, it is not too personal, but to tell you the truth, I really dont know, I felt a little sick on the plane, I just thought it was the AC, and then the first two nights, I was really tired,thought is was the time change. Then, all hell broke loose. My best guess, is that I had it when I left, because when I came back to work, I found out that 4 people had pneumonia,while I was gone.

Bill,
Thank you so very much. She is such a sweetheart, she deserves that and much much more.

Mike and Daphne,
I believe they would go out of there way,to do whatever any one needed and if they could not they would find a way to get it done.

Chloe, Mel S and ga peach,
Thank you.

Jackie

#70407 07/03/03 06:49 AM
wonderful letter, Jackie, and very reassuring to read that great health care is available, if needed. Sorry this had to happen on your vacation, but so glad you received the level of care that you did.

That was good thinking, Peter! Jackie still has that vacation time for a return trip to AC. Enjoy it fully this time around, Jackie smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.