Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70653 07/13/03 07:10 AM
B
Big Al Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Cheers,

Me, wife, two adult boys with wife/fiance` are coming to your part of paradise in a week. We are stayimg at Banyan Bay. We are excited as the time draws near.

I have been following the board infrequently for two months and have done searches on the topics of most interest. Thank you all for the great information you provide and share. I have a number of questions that I would like info on now that the time is actually here - always like the latest reports. We are focusing on fly fishing, snorkeling, a ruins trip and new adventures.

Please give opinions, advice and recommendations:

Should we book any of the trips or guides now or wait until arrival?

Should we book ourselves or go thru the hotel?

Ruins trip - where, how and with whom?

fly fishing - with guides and also on our own wading any flats around the island?

reef fishing - with whom and when?

Snorkeling trip - or 1/2 and 1/2 snorkel and fish including shore lunch... with whom and where?

FOOD - breakfast spot(s) near our hotel and others worth visiting?

lunch?

Dinner?

MISC suggestions for other activities?

Recommended repellant?

Sunscreen - that will stay on thru sweat and snorkeling?

I promise to report our trip in detail with pictures - we keep a diary of our trips.

Thank you all,
Al

#70654 07/13/03 06:14 PM
I'll answer a couple of these,
Try Georges Kitchen for breakfast. They also do a good evening meal.If you catch fish have them prepare it for you for supper.Good and reasonable.
Do Jambel for sure. Great Jamacan/belize.
I recommend the Lamanai trip. We used Seaduced but i'll bet all are good.
You must do the Palapa Bar jam session on Sunday afternoon. North of the cut.
Richard cool

#70655 07/13/03 06:20 PM
S
S
Georges Kitchen is no more. Closed and gone.

#70656 07/13/03 06:35 PM
As for the fish/snorkel/shore lunch, contact Hustler's and tell them you want to rent their Catamaran for the day. Our guides cooked us an amazing lunch on the beach, and we had a fantastic time. They'll take you wherever you want to go.
It's low season right now, so I'd just wait to book trips when you get there. I don't know who Banyan Bay uses for their tours, but I'm sure whoever it is, they're good.
Bug repellant -- anything with Deet.

#70657 07/13/03 08:06 PM
lilys is great for breakfast--=and then on sunday mornings, start with the barbecue at bc*s and then head north to the party at palapa bar--its a tradition

#70658 07/14/03 01:09 AM
I would like to "plug" Caliente's for lunch or dinner. Owner/Chef Jenny Staines if a good friend and great chef!! Caliente's is next to Pier Lounge which has an amusing event, Chicken Drop, every Wednesday night. Make reservations at Caliente's over looking the event on the balcony. Many great guides to choose from!! Pete Graniel is very hard working and you'll catch fish! Hilly Boo has a larger boat that can accomodate your crew. Not much wading around Ambergris. If you would like, visit my area, past San Pedrito, to do some wading. Tell "them" I sent you. Watch for the Crocks!!

Gone fishing!!
#70659 07/14/03 12:19 PM
I think you should book yourself (the hotels take 20% from the tour operator!!) and that way you can meet the owner or guides yourself and ask questions straight from them. SEArious Adventures is a great operation - they have daily trips to Altun Ha, Lamanai, Manatee/Geoff's Caye, Maruba - plus snorkelling and fishing trips. For dinner my favorite is Caliente as well - Jenny and Zobe are great - try the coconut chicken....YUM! For lunch, Blue Water Grill and Holiday Hotel have great salads and island stuff! Also a fun trip is the catamaran "NO RUSH" with Unity Tours, a full day sailing, snorkelling and to Caye Caulker.

#70660 07/14/03 07:31 PM
D
D
Big Al,

This is low season, don't book anything till you get there. Mainland stuff can be done on your own if you are willing to fly to muni, rent a car and stay over nite.It will be much cheaper than any of the hotels or tour operators will offer you. It's not a hassle at all. Which ruins are you interested in? Go to Tropic Air's web site for air fare from SP to Muni. Call Crystal or any other rental car place for there rates and ask for advise on hotels from the people on the board.
From Belize City to Corazol in the north takes 90 mins. From Belize City to San Ignacio in Cayo takes the same amount of time. They are totally different places and both worth visiting more than once. If you go north, go to Lamanai If you go south Xunantunich (SP) is small but awesome. If you really want to see some ruins go to Tikal, and be there at 6:00 am. Cayo has a beatiful area caled the moutains pine ridge but the road leading up there (19 miles I think is going to take about an hour. There are several really nice resorts up there but if you are not going to stay overnite I wouldn't mess with it. Have a great trip. We are going to be there on the 24th-Aug 7 if you are there when we are let's have a drink.

Have fun,

R&D

#70661 07/14/03 08:05 PM
For a fantastic snorkle trip, go on The Reef Seekers Glass Bottom Boat!!!!! Mercedes & his son, Victor are fabulous!!!!!!This was the beat snorkle trip we have ever been on. smile

John
#70662 07/15/03 03:03 PM
J
J
We just returned from Banyan Bay and had a great time. Jambel's was great for diner, Rico's at Banyan is so so. A good nearby place was a little restaurant on the main drag across from little store. The little store just down the street is a good place for provisions. (rum, juice, etc.) Banyan will stock fridge for you. Have them pick up fresh OJ and beer, etc. You can book excursions through banyan (enjoyed them all), or go into town and work a deal. Prices are all comparable. We loved AC, and envy you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 270 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.