Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello:

This is my first post and March 2004 will be our first trip to Belize.

I just bought the airline tickets this morning and sent my reservation form to Banana Beach for a king room. We normally go to Hawaii, but after 7 trips, I thought it was time for a change.

To those in the know, how does the snorkeling in Belize compare to that of the Big Island? That seems to be my husband's biggest concern that the snorkeling will not be very good.

My last query to those who have been to AC before: If you had seven days/nights, what would you consider a must do?

We are considering the cave tubing/black hole with Ian Anderson, but are unclear if we can get there from AC as a day trip, and if both could be done in one day.

We love to snorkel (we don't dive) and I'd like to see some ruins?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts! confused

K
K
In answer to your query, Hol Chan is a must do. I was also a first-timer this past June and cannot wait to go back. Also, I would definitely do Altun Ha/Maruba. I wish I had gone to Caye Caulker but time did not permit. Oh yeah, you should rent a golf cart one day and drive north, stop and cool off at Capt. Morgan's and explore even further. You will have a fabulous time!

S
S
We found the snorkeling off AC to be better than any place we snorkeled or dove in Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Big Island); hope you find the same. Take the Bacalar Chica tour (Excalibur tour company?) for beautiful, uncrowded snorkeling at the north end of the island. Happy first trip!

For superb snorkling, go to BottomTime Divers, in front of Holiday Hotel. They do great Snorkle Trips.

OP Offline
Originally posted by Miss Anthropy:
Already bought your tickets? Might as well go on down and find out how you like it. Banana Beach is wonderful. The snorkeling is GREAT along the coral reef and at Hol Chan, and you may be able to find a nice carved jaguar on the mainland.
After three weeks of debate about Hawaii v. Belize v. Europe with my husband, I finally just bought the tickets without further consulatation on Saturday morning. I thought $521 was a good fare from Columbus, Ohio to Belize City, with nice bulkhead seats available. Now that I finally made an irreversible decision, I'm now excited about this new adventure. smile

Rebecca

Have you considered spending a few days at Ian's where you could do the tubing, black hole drop and more and then spend the rest on AC for the snorkeling, etc. At least you will get the feel of the mainland and the cayes. I believe the black hole drop is an all day affair plus it will take some time to get there from AC.

L
L
All I can say is this: living here on the West Coast, I have had my share of Hawaii. Once I went to Belize/AC, there is no need to ever return to Hawaii. You'll see. Have a great trip!

C
C
We are also making our first trip to AC from
March 9 thru March 19 & staying at Banana Beach.
We plan on snorkeling. Look us up if you are there at the same time. Tom & Karen Henry
Kalamazoo, Mich.

T
T
I have dived in Bali, (Indonesia) Kauii, and Belize. Belize is the best, but you have to try to get away from the big crowds and tour groups. The dive off Half Moon Caye and areas way out there (our day trip included three snorkels/dives including Blue Hole, which many consider a novelty dive, but I thought was wonderful!)was just awesome--sea turtles, eagle rays, huge schools of groupers, barracuda, nurse sharks, you name it. I didnt' do Hol Chan just because it sounded like there were hordes of people there, and from my experience, a lot of boat noise and wake from the boats scares away the really rare fish and marine life. At any rate, enjoy!! You'll have an awesome time. wink laugh

Must do should include dinner at the Jerk Pit and ask for jamaican me crazy shrimp. Snorkel with Ched at the little blue dive shop in front of Paradise Villas.Crazy canucks for some dancing and island music on Mondays. Sometimes in AC doing nothing is doing something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.