Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: cruise ship world - not good #73021
09/04/03 09:16 AM
09/04/03 09:16 AM
Corpus Christi, Texas USA
Debbie Offline

Debbie  Offline
Thank you Bywarren!!!! Yes!! That's exactly what I was talking about. Could it work in Belize? Although, after reading Marty's above post, it's to late. The GIANT pier and the mass exodus of people to Belize City for day tours is a done deal. mad mad I can see the gears of greed spinning as we speak!

I hate to say this, and it grieves me deeply, but masses of tourists is not my idea of a vacation. My mother was born in St. Maarten, and a good many of my childhood trips were there to see family. It was a WONDERFUL place. I couldn't think of a place I would rather be. But mass tourism has ruined it. It's horribly overpriced, crowded, has mountains of crime now, and has lost ALL of it's true French and Dutch charm. It sickens me. I haven't been back in years. My family can't understand why we always went to Belize for a vacation when I had places to stay there available to me. On my last trip to St. Maarten, my uncle literally hired a body gaurd for me and my husband. Who wants that???? I now see Belize on the same road to ruin. So very sad. I hate having to look for somewhere else to go now......... frown frown frown
Debbie

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73022
09/04/03 09:24 AM
09/04/03 09:24 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
Maybe they will designate Belize City and island. :p

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73023
09/04/03 09:31 AM
09/04/03 09:31 AM
M
mossback Offline

mossback  Offline
M
OF COURSE he's unavailable for comment. He's probably in Miami picking out furniture for his new condo.

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73024
09/04/03 09:32 AM
09/04/03 09:32 AM
Debbie Offline

Debbie  Offline
LOL!!! Bywarren you're a hoot.

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73025
09/04/03 09:38 AM
09/04/03 09:38 AM
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
By the way, in case any of you wish to discuss these issue in person while in Belize, I will again post my picture to help you recognize me.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bywarren

Or, if you come across Pedro and me in the bar, I am the good looking one. laugh

PS: Debbie, one note of small optimism, nothing is a done deal in Belize until the money is there. If Belize has to come up with half the money, it's not a done deal.

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73026
09/04/03 10:03 AM
09/04/03 10:03 AM
Debbie Offline

Debbie  Offline
Bywarren, that is a comforting thought, but like we all agreed, the greed factor here will present the money with bows on it, I fear. It's an "irresponsible" investors dream. $$$$$$$ Ching... Chings.... They hear the money rolling in already.... Although I think they may be disappointed in the end, it doesn't stop the mad rush to the front of the line. I'll be optimistic and consider your view. We can also consider that the Minister of Tourism could be a good guy, and is furious he was left out of this negotiation, may have serious reservations about the impact it could have, (maybe read our posts..LOL) and may have the power to nix it???? One can only hope.
Debbie

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73027
09/04/03 10:15 AM
09/04/03 10:15 AM
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
There have been lots of heralded projects in Belize that never got off the ground due to lack of funds. It is one thing for Belize to do what is has done, that being, just open it's doors and let the tourist $ roll in. Now that it is at the cross-roads that will require major investment, that might be a different story. I will remain causiously optimistic. And, I would still encourage the business community to seriously consider the viability of the cruise business when they have a growing and lucrative "over-night" business. I am not sure they can have "their cake and eat it too".

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73028
09/04/03 10:25 AM
09/04/03 10:25 AM
San Pedro, AC, Belize
L
latitudes Offline

latitudes  Offline
L
From the The Ocean Conservancy website located at

Ocean Conservancy Dynamic Issues Page

"Floating cities with their own zip codes, cruise ships carry millions of people each year to some of the world's most pristine and sensitive ecosystems. Largely unregulated, cruise ships also discharge huge amounts of waste directly into the water. From raw sewage to toxic chemicals, cruise ships dump huge amounts of waste directly into ocean waters, posing a potential threat to marine wildlife, fragile habitats and human health.

Cruise ship impacts have increased exponentially with the industry's dramatic growth. In 1998, 223 cruise ships carried 10 million passengers through some of the world's most sensitive ocean ecosystems. Since then, the industry has grown by an average of 10 percent annually, and is expected to bring more than 49 new vessels into service by 2005."
There is a great PDF document called Cruise Control located at this page that explains the insanity of these floating cities. Well with the way Norwalk viruses are plaguing these ships we may luck out and the Belize plans will get axed.

Re: cruise ship world - not good #73029
09/04/03 10:31 AM
09/04/03 10:31 AM
Belize City, Belize
M
mayatravel Offline

mayatravel  Offline
M
Hon. Said Musa
[email protected]

Hon Mark Espat
[email protected]

I assume I'll be seeing both tomorrow night and I'll offer all your condolances on the death of the tourism industry as we know it. Funeral services to be announced at a later date.

Maya Travel Services
Re: cruise ship world - not good #73030
09/04/03 10:33 AM
09/04/03 10:33 AM
Belize City, Belize
M
mayatravel Offline

mayatravel  Offline
M
Hon. Said Musa
[email protected]

Hon Mark Espat
[email protected]

I assume I'll be seeing both tomorrow night and I'll offer all your condolances on the death of the toursim industry as we know it. Funeral services to be announced at a later date.

Maya Travel Services
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 174 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,584
Posts488,706
Members19,886
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.