Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
would it do any good for us to email Espat and Musa?

H
H
sic 'em

got that done. don't know if all of us emailing will have much of an impact - but I feel better lodging my protest.

Hmmmm, Belize Ports Ltd.? Ya know after four years of collecting $20US from each departing non-Belizian I might just have enough money to have a pretty fair share of the required collateral to particpate with Carnival. (Some time when yer bored do the math).

How far ya think you'll need to dig to find who the principals of Belize Ports Ltd. REALLY are.

Jeez, it's Friday, not normally such a cynic on Friday.

Oh well get out the blue stuff.

M
M
Start with Luke Espat, who like many from the first world, just wants an opportunity to become a mogul. I have to say, even though I destain cruise ship tourism (but know lots of people who are only able to make ends meet because of it), some people on the boards expect people from Belize to be more moral and protective of the environment here, than many up your way have been with their own. But we're all the same and folks in Belize also want expensive vehicles and boats, a large home here and a condo in Miami, $ to send their kids to college and themselves to Paris on vacation. Sound familiar? Belizeans can't be held up to higher standards than the rest of the developed world. And the Luke Espats of Belize will not become moguls without projects of this stature. The perceived needs of humans will supercede the environment every time. I wish the world were different, but alas, it ain't. So come now and see it before it changes.

Maya Travel Services
mayatravel: I cannot disagree with you more. The Luke Espats of the world and other elected politicians are not supposed to become "moguls" thru corruption and stealing at the expense of the people. I am assuming you agree with me that Belize has a serious problem with corruption. If you do not, that is a topic I could expound on in length. People are supposed to get all of the things you mentioned thru honest work and effort, not by getting elected. I am not asking Belize politicians to be held to a higher standard. It would just be nice if they were held to some standard. frown

standards like the Bush cartel, huh?

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
bywarren,

It sure would be a lot more gentrified if they were just a bit subtle about it. That departure tax has pissing me off for years. Of course there have been about $200,000 worth of modifications (notice I did not say improvements) done to International. Once again take two planes a day (more or less), 170-180 passengers each, 6-7 days a week and multiply by $20US. Yabba dabba doo, what a party we could be havin'

That's it. I'm going to Tara and relax.

CC

Mayatravel: I also wanted to address your points about expecting Belize people to be more moral or protective of their environment. I do not know about others on the board, but my comments concerning this were in the context that Belize chose to market eco-tourism as a means of developing a tourist industry thru which it's people could prosper. The debate for me is whether attracting the cruise business will adversely effect the tourist industry that has been built in Belize and have a negative impact on the tourist industry as a whole. If the cruise business can be added and will increase the total revenues without jeopardizing the long range future of tourism in Belize, then it will be a good thing. I am just very doubtful that will be the case. I fear that trying to accommodate the numbers of tourists that is anticipated will have detrimental effect on the environment with the eventual result being that Belize loses it's attractiveness to tourists both overnight visitors and cruise visitors. To me it is not a question of Belize peoples morality or environmental concerns, rather what is the correct business decision that will give the Belize people the most opportunities now and for the future.

Touche Bywarren.... Couldn't have said it better myself.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.