Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Good points all. Maybe people from Belize and the US should think about the fact God gave us one mouth and two ears. I wonder if there was some reason for that? smile

C
C
I have just two quick comments.
Cruise ships are just giant cattle transports and anything that they can reach on a day trip, the herd will trample.
If a big dog like Carnival wants a place to park boats, it's gonna happen. They could probably buy the whole country if they wanted to. I know that a lot of other big projects haven't ever gotten off the ground in Belize but I have to think that Carnival is a whole different breed.

Luke Espat the owner of the Port did not have a pot to [#%!] in a few years ago. Overnight he bacame a mogul. Hmmmmmmm. He was also recently caught with a stolen H2 Hummer. No charges have ever been filed. Fienstein's the drug dealer owners of the Tourist Village are Jews, Luke Espat from the Port is an Arab.
Minister of Tourism, Mark Espat & Prime Minister Said Musa are also Arabs. Hmmmmmmmm.

I don't know if SoSaidFred's comments move the debate in the direction it should go, but he does have most of his facts correct.

Maybe this is a case where the US could learn something from Belize. Maybe Belize has a "road map" that works. smile

And a resort that I know of very well is owned by 4 Muslims.

Where are the Belizeans?

You are right, crockhunter. But why would they want to buy the country, even if they could, when they can just use it, abuse it and then, to use the words of an Oak Ridge Boys song, "just sail away into the night". :rolleyes:

Many more hotels, tour operators, etc are owned by US, Brit & Canadian owners than Muslim

I like the Espat connection myself... :rolleyes:

I gather Luke and the Honorable Mark Espat are related. Is this true?

Gone fishing!!
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Belize Reporter

New multi-million cruise terminal will proceed as planned - Belize Ports says
(Friday 05 September 2003 11:09:08 am)

Belize Ports Limited and the Miami-based Carnival Corporation Tlc have reached an agreement for the development of a new cruise terminal facility in an area of Belize City near the Belize City Port Terminal.

Under the agreement Carnival corporation has committed to regular ship calls at the new facility for a 25-year period.

The project, expected to cost $100 million, will consist of a pier able to accommodate two cruise ships and an adjacent welcome centre.

The project also calls for channel improvements as well as a transportation hub with capacity to handle hundreds of buses and taxis.

Belize Ports Limited is a Belizean company managing the Ports of Belize City and the Port of Big Creek under the supervision of Luke Espat.

Carnival Corporation PLC, the largest cruise vacation group , is comprised of Carnival Cruise Lines, Princes Cruises, Holland American Line, Costa Cruises, P&O Cruises, Cunard Line, Winstar and Seabourn Cruises among others, operating 70 cruise ships in Europe and the Caribbean.

Direct revenue to the local economy over the 25 year life-span of the agreement is estimated at more than two billion dollars, according to Espat, who also said that Carnival Corporation is the first of a number of strategic investors identified by Belize Ports Limited to participate in the long-term development of the port.

Funding for the project will be be provided from a mix of equity and debt investment from the project partners.

Meanwhile, news about the fate of the Tourism Village, which is the only hub today for arriving cruise ships visitors is still not clear.

It has been confirmed that the present owners, Michael Feinstein and his wife, want to sell, and that there are two competing buyers - the Belize Cruise-ship Industry Association and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

Reports that the Feinsteins have decided to sell to Royal Caribbean Cruise Line could not be confirmed.

OK, I slept on this. Even laid in bed and counted to ten before getting up. But, you are still going to get my thoughts without the sugar coating.

If people have opinions about others or other countries, there is nothing wrong with expressing those opinions. I will qualify with the covenant that those opinions should not be offered solely with the intent of degrading, belittling or to be purposely offensive. If those opinions are given and based on what is factual or believed to be factual, then they are being offered in a sincere manner. Just because comments might point out negative aspects is not a reason for those being commented on to attempt the flawed argument that those commenting have no right to because they either have problems of their own, are trying to run the country, or were not born in the country in question. It serves no good purpose to attempt to silence those comments by trying to make those commenting feel guilty, or attempt to change the subject by focusing on the faults of those commenting or attempting to assign false intentions to those commenting, as opposed to debating the issues in hopes of finding solutions.

Now as to Belize and the issues of Cruise Ships and the possible damage to the other tourist industry in Belize, the potential for further corruption with the establishment of this new venture, the enrichment of the select few at the expense of others (the port authority used to be owned by the people of Belize until it was transfered to private individuals just prior to this deal), the past corruption, the past and currently documented drug activity (and don't give me that crap about supply and demand, the vultures and dredges of society that profit on other's addictions are at the bottom of the totem pole of human decency and should be an embarrassment to any county they come from, Columbia, Belize, the US, or any other country) are all issue that will have severe consequences for, not only the Belize people but, those of us who live in that society and those who enjoy visiting. We all have the right, if not even the obligation, to contribute to that society. That contributing not only involves us paying our taxes, voting if we can and spending our money, but also contributing by offering our heart felt opinions to the debate.

So for those of you who like and care about Belize, I want to hear your voice. For those of you embarrassed about your countries short comings, you would do more of a service to your country by recognizing the problems and participating in finding solutions with all those willing to help as opposed to telling people just to keep their nose out of your business. If someone is ill and wants to get well, sometimes they need to take the medicine that does not taste good along with the medicine that has the sugar coating.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.