Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chi Offline OP
OP Offline
In searching of one island paradise, we visited AC from 8/18 to 8/28.

I have to say we love this place. Our friends even hooked up with South Wind property.

However, there is one thing I must ask: how do you locals deal with mosquitos ? I really don't want to apply bug spray all day.

Also, do you, as an extensively-travelled person, know any island paradise with no mosquitos ?

There was a thread in this forum. But the conclusion is pretty much you have to use bug spray in areas north of the cut.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

bug spray or burn empty coconut shells will keep them away. The mosquitos up "north" are much worse than south or in town...we've been attacked by swarms of them....if it's real swampy/wet they are worse...clearing dried debry from properties helps....after you've been there awhile, they will look for fresh blood!! LOL wink don't let them deter you...there's ways around it.....

Mosquitos are worse during some times of the year. They are worse in the secluded and brushy areas, and are worse when the breeze dies down. If you have a good breeze, there is no need for spray. I've never had a problem with them except for a trip to Basil Jones. It was isolated, brushy and non-developed.
Debbie

We have been to AC in Nov, Jan, and May. And I have never been bit while there. Stayed in town,
& Northside of SP (not across the cut) and south of town. Don't worry, it will be alright. Really.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
I think mosquitos don't like blood of people who've been drinking a lot. At least that's what I've noticed. I've never done a scientific study but I did notice if they swarm a drunk person, they usually don't stick around (maybe it's smell too)
They probably don't have the higher brain function to experience a drunken state, but alcohol is pretty toxic. I may never know because they dont like me at all. I'm lucky. HICCUP

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Aruba is a very dry island so has very few mozzies. Baja too. Where there is lush, there are mozzies.

I live just south of town and have no problem with mosquitoes-for people who live way south or who want to stay there -go by boat in the bad months (of which there are three)-same for the north,and that really is it-sand fleas are problem as they are in every country in Central and South America -have a can of "off" handy and that takes care of those nasty bastards.

here's the other mosquito thread, just a lil below..

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=007274

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.