Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
OP Offline
B
I just purchased a vacation for 4 nights at Costa Maya on ebay. This is my first pleasure trip to SP. Coming with my daughters. We are planning to snorkel, visit Caye Caulker and explore the ruins. We are very excited and looking forward to this trip. Any suggestions from all you pros out there on how best we can utilize the time (we are planning to extend this trip to a week long one) would be most welcome.

So much to say, to see and do. I've been coming for 5 yrs. and some of my great times include taking the Tropic Air day trip to Tikal over in guatemala. Our guide was mayan & was a wealth of information. The trip wouldn't have been as much an education without him. Also the day trip to cave tube at Jaguar Paw was great fun. That trip includes the zoo as well as lunch at the beautiful lodge. Another good day trip is with Tanisha Tours to Lamani. It takes you up the river to the village of Bomba, many of the local woodcarvers in San Pedro call this area home. At that point you catch a bus & make your way to another boat on another river and at last to Lamani. This trip gives a great interior experience all in one day. Much bird life, sea critters and education to be had with this one. Be sure to eat at Jambells jerk pit on the beach in San Pedro. You're gonna love this trip you are about to share with your daughters. I am one of 4 girls and would love to have shared some time here with my dad. Enjoy!

How old are your girls?

If they are old enough/strong enough and can handle it, I highly recommend you guys do the cave, Actun Tunichil Muknal.

http://www.mayabelize.ca/maya/actun-tunichil-muknal.shtml

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Badco for those great suggestions. We have added Lamani Ruins to our excursion. We would also like to try to do some diving. This would be our first time. Any recommendations on a patient dive master who can take us first timers out for half a day or so?

Seashell, those 3 caves sound exciting. Would it be too cold if we come out there in January or February? My girls are 19 and 14 and are very good swimmers so I don't think that we would have any problems with physical exertion.

We have also heard of Cave Tubing in Cayo district. It this a day trip or would we have to plan an overnight stay there?

Again, thanks for your suggestions. We are very exited and looking forward to coming there.

Mike

C
C
Congratulations on your eBay purchase!

We look forward to hosting you and your daughters.

You betta Belize it!

Kimberly White
Assistant Manager
costamayareef@btl.net (direct)
Costa Maya Reef Resort (website)
Tel: 011-501-226-4700

Cool runnins mon.........

Chris Burkey
Costa Maya Reef Resort

"Where tranquility meets adventure"
I did Actun Tunichil Muknal in late December, in a T-shirt and exercise shorts. I wasn't cold at all during the hike, even though soaking wet most of the time in the cave. There's no question that the best clothes to wear for that kind of adventure are the "quick dry" ones. I didn't have any, so got a bit chilled once we were back at the truck. A towel and a jacket were all I really needed to warm up. And if I'd had quick dry clothes, I might not even have needed the jacket.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Went last week and looked at the one bedroom - It had a miniture fridge and microwave, no oven, and I don't believe it had a stove either. Other than some light breakfast, snacks, drinks, and sandwich stuff I wouldn't plan on stocking a whole lot. Unless you're diving with the onsite dive shop that particular day, you'll probably be heading into town and can find prices cheap as the states at dozens of places. Because it's so isolated on the north side (and the Costa Maya is just about as far north as you can go on the island) you'll have to plan somewhat tediously to catch the right taxis - they only run every two hours (till 10pm on wk days, midnight wk ends) at $10US pp each way - or private taxi for $30US. All this in mind, you'll want to minimize the number of round trips (costs and logistal hassles) in and out of town on a daily basis. With the exception of the prices on ebay, I'd probably stay south of the cut to simplify moving around the island.

Geaux Tigers!!!
C
C
Belize visitor;

We all look forward to meeting you at Costa Maya Reef Resort.

Good job with eBay! With such a great deal you can easily afford a few water taxi transfers and still keep your accommodation costs below that of comparable resorts.

With the recent success of our vacation ownership program, the resort boat now makes several runs into San Pedro Town daily.

What you may really enjoy is the multitude of fish and coral directly in front of the resort at Mexico Rocks. This link may be of interest to you //www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/parkmexicorocks.html . With much less power boat traffic (as opposed to town) you may enjoy the underwater treasures a bit more.

I would also suggest a full day hike up to the Rocky Point area, north of the resort. Along the way you'll find a few new resorts, which are either in construction or just recently completed, some private homes and a lot of empty beaches. If you pack your snorkeling gear, I would suggest a stop at Basil Jones (just past the shrimp farm) for great snorkeling from the beach! The beaches here are spectacular and the reef is very close to shore. This is my favorite part of Ambergris Caye.

Excursions to Caye Caulker and the ruins are easily arranged and depart from the resort. I would suggest the full day Manatee Excursion which includes Caye Caulker and also the full day Altun Ha Ruins & Maruba Jungle Spa tour. We use SEAduced by Belize //ambergriscaye.com/seaduced/index.html , but you are free to choose other tour companies.

I would also recommend spending a day in San Pedro Town checking out the shops and other establishments.

Castle Cars is now our golf cart rental provider and we plan to have several carts available at the resort if you plan to drive into town. It's a cool ride along the beach (since the rains have lightened up a bit) and takes about thirty minutes. Many choose to make a day of it and resort hop, making stops at the unique properties that dot the six mile stretch of beach between Costa Maya Reef Resort and San Pedro Town. It's very convenient now that the cart/bike ferry is open 24 hours a day. Bicycles are also available and fun to ride along the beach.

You are sure to have a great time in Belize!

Chris

Chris Burkey
Costa Maya Reef Resort

the ferry is now open 24/7 ??

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
The security guard operates the ferry, or at least has when I and others have crossed late at night or early in the morning. He charges us $10 instead of $5.

Chris Burkey
Costa Maya Reef Resort

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.